Sign in to follow this  
Andy Whitman

Dave Perkins -- Pistol City Holiness

Three or four years ago I wrote a long essay in Paste on blues music, and its impact on my life. A few weeks later I received a very nice letter from one Dave Perkins, who told me that he also loved the blues, and wondered if he could send me his rough demos of blues recordings. "Sure," I wrote him back. So he sent them. And they were good. Really good. They kicked. So I decided to check up a bit on this Dave Perkins. It turns out that Dave is a Ph.D. student at Vanderbilt

Edited by Andy Whitman

Dave Perkins was something of a hero for me and my friend Todd Fadel back in the days of Chagall Guevara, which was a monumental album in our lives as music fans, and one I still play very, very loudly.

To hear that Perkins has delivered again is really exciting. I've got to check this out.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Andy, I'm shocked that one of the legends of rec.music.christian wouldn't have known about Perkins' Chagall Guevara connections.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Where and when will it be available?

It's available now from Dave's MySpace page. And yes, once I thought about it, I remembered the Chagall Guevera connection (and many others). But initially, I thought Dave was just another guy peddling his music to the critic. Unfortunately, I get a lot of those offers. Sometimes -- and in this case, most definitely -- there's gold in them thar offers. Pistol City Holiness is a fabulous album.

Here's Dave's bio on his MySpace page:

Dave Perkins is an artist whose musical excursion crisscrosses the map of American music. Perkins

Thank you for posting this. I've tried to keep up with Dave Perkins since the Chagall Guevara days, but was unaware of his new project. The songs on his myspace page are terrific and I can't wait to pick upt the whole album.

I love the new Dave Perkins CD, too. Chagall Guevera was a great band, too bad they only had the one album. I remember fondly the solo album Dave did back in the 80s, The Innocence. And I admire the work he did as a producer on a few CCM albums back in the 80s. He got guys like Randy Stonehill and Rick Cua to stop being typical pop-lite CCM singers and put out some halfway decent rock and roll. The Wild Frontier made Stonehill rock again, and I listened to that album a lot in my wild college days.

It's great to hear that Dave's rockin' while he's getting a PhD education. Very cool!

Edited by Crow

I got this in the mail yesterday and it's been kicking my ass for 24 hours straight now. I can think of very few albums that have captured the full-throated roar of a howling blues band in quite so visceral or primal a fashion as this. The harmonica work is what makes the album for me, but I'm also enamored with Perkins' guitar work, which seems indebted to alt rock and metal as much as it is blues. And the songs, of course, are all first rate.

Top ten of 2009, almost certainly.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Wow.

Thank you all for gushing about this -- discoveries like this are one of the great gifts of this board. I hit MySpace, and when Going Down started playing I experienced the very thrill you all have described. Cool, eh, that in this music-saturated world we can still get a shock from greatness?

The odd thing is that I jumped into this thread after reading some of the moaning about CCM... and it just struck me as a bit incongruous that two names jumped off the list of credits for Pistol City Holiness - Ashley Cleveland and Rick Cua (listed as "band members" at Dave's MySpace page). Phil Madeira is another CCM figure (Dove Award winner) who played with Perkins at the 'Evening of Sacred Blues." There may be other CCM connections but these are the ones I noticed, and it makes me think the CCM machine may be one thing on the surface (predictable and formulaic) and quite another underneath (with under-used creative energy and passion).

Anyway, thanks again for this. Andy, your insights into great music are always helpful.

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

There may be other CCM connections but these are the ones I noticed, and it makes me think the CCM machine may be one thing on the surface (predictable and formulaic) and quite another underneath (with under-used creative energy and passion).

Oh, absolutely. I'm not a fan of CCM as an industry or cultural phenomenon, but within CCM there are many wonderful and creative musicians. And I'm sure that many of them struggle with the artificial circus in which they have to operate.

There may be other CCM connections but these are the ones I noticed, and it makes me think the CCM machine may be one thing on the surface (predictable and formulaic) and quite another underneath (with under-used creative energy and passion).

Oh, absolutely. I'm not a fan of CCM as an industry or cultural phenomenon, but within CCM there are many wonderful and creative musicians. And I'm sure that many of them struggle with the artificial circus in which they have to operate.

Exactly. Two words: Leslie Phillips

I've discovered that if you get enough alcohol into a certain avuncular elder statesman of Jesus Music (whose surname is a synonym for Rockpile), now near 60 and still kickin' it, even he will admit to feeling betrayed & manipulated by the CCM industry. In fact, some of the discussion about a recent film concerning another elder statesman leads me to believe that while there's nothing wrong with Mr. Rockpile's crap detector, his tolerance for the amount of crap he detects is off the charts.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

True enough, but even in the secular music world, an "artificial circus" is the operational standard. Granted, I think there are more opportunities to sidestep the circus, but it's certainly there in the establishment.

I think the real sting is my expectation as a Christian, that a "CCM" market should not have adopted the circus atmosphere. But it has, and in fact, I think it is magnified.

ETA: Listening to the songs on his MySpace page. Immediately gripping. I wish I had money to spend on music, but between my daughter, a new house in need of upgrades and my wife back in college, that well is dry.

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

You Nashvillians (Nashvillains?) should definitely head to 3rd and Lindsley next Wednesday evening. Wish I could be there:

Mattie Groves

Time:7:00PM Wednesday, January 13th

Mattie Groves is Nicholas Giaconia, Dave Perkins, Vince Gill, Billy Thomas, Pete Wasner and Jimmy Abegg.