Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wolfe

Caprica

Jeff, I'll echo Jason on BSG's second half. Season three is the most bloated, and there's a considerable 2 or 3 episode hump to get over after the half-way point, but once I was through that I thought it just sailed, all the way to the end. Season 3 was when I went from liking the characters to loving them (I remember feeling like a switch had been thrown when I realized that I actually cared for Roslin, who grated on me at the beginning). The plotting isn't as strong and the mythology starts to get more complicated, but if you're grounded in the people, it remains compelling.

I've never invested emotionally in another TV show like I did with BSG, and for once, the end result was well worth it.

EDIT: Sad to see Caprica go. I've only watched the pilot, which was quite good. Been meaning to catch up with the rest of it.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

I lost all patience with Lost at the beginning of Season 3. And whenever I tried to get back into it, it seemed far too bloated and aimless and maddeningly complicated.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I lost all patience with Lost at the beginning of Season 3. And whenever I tried to get back into it, it seemed far too bloated and aimless and maddeningly complicated.

Lost tightens up a bit, as does BSG near the end of season 3. And goodness, the cliffhanger at the end of season 4.0 (for BSG) was just perfect. I couldn't sleep.

Still, if that's what you're thinking...you might want to just stick with season 1 & 2 and maybe play the BSG board game to end on a note you like. :)

I wonder why premium cable channels are so phobic about science fiction.

You'd think shows like Dollhouse and Caprica might have survived and flourished if they'd begun their lives on such channels.

You know, several folks mentioned this after Fox announced Dollhouse's cancellation last year. And I think you're right. Still, it's a similar phobia to the 'literary fiction' v. genre fiction mindset that many have. The rare examples of the latter that truck with the former — some of McCarthy's work, Chabon, etc. — don't make it the norm. That's why I feel a genre show like The Walking Dead might be a fluke, since it's premium and getting great critical and commercial buzz.