Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Jay Bennett dead, coroner says: "painkiller overdose"

jay_bennett5.jpg

Jay Bennett, former member of Wilco, has died at 45 years old.

Bennett was a member of Wilco from 1994 through 2001, and was a driving force behind their albums Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as well as their Mermaid Avenue collaborations with Billy Bragg. Bennett's departure from the band, during the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, was chronicled in the 2002 documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

This link says he "died in his sleep."

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Incredibly sad. His creative contributions to the early Wilco efforts cannot be overstated. Being There and Summer Teeth remain my favorite recordings by the band, and his distinctive hand print is immortalized on both.... Thanks for the music, Jay!!!

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Whoa, didn't he just file a lawsuit against his former bandmates a few days/weeks/months ago?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I owe him some of the best musical moments of my listener's life. As we can read here , he had called his recording studio Pieholden Suites, from the Wilco song from Summerteeth, that "best encapsulates his talents as an arranger". And it's my fave Wilco song ever, and Summerteeth one of my fave records of all time. He also wrote and composed the wonderful "My Darling" from the same album. But he wasn't a good singer, so Tweedy sings it.

Edited by Hugues

Incredibly sad. His creative contributions to the early Wilco efforts cannot be overstated. Being There and Summer Teeth remain my favorite recordings by the band, and his distinctive hand print is immortalized on both....

Well said, and I agree about Being There and Summerteeth. Add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to his accomplishments, too.

And, to hear him tell it (and I have no reason to doubt it), without his persuasion Wilco wouldn't have taken up Billy Bragg's offer to join him on the Mermaid Avenue projects.

I was sad when he was out of Wilco, because he an integral part of the Wilco that I fell in love with; and that Wilco is largely responsible for re-igniting my love of music.

In the mid-90's I just sort of stopped caring about new music and went years without hearing or buying anything.

On a random channel-flipping Saturday afternoon, I came across Wilco on VH1's (of all places) Hard Rock Live. Roger McGuinn was probably why I stopped surfing for a moment, but this band Wilco sparked something inside me. They closed their set with I Got You (It's the End of the Century) and I was floored by the scruffy men stepping to the mikes and singing in unison, and the guy in dreadlocks just shredding his guitar.

By 3 p.m. the following Sunday afternoon I had a copy of Being There.

I naively had hoped that one day - even if was after "Wilco" as a band was a thing of the past - that Bennett and Tweedy would find a way to work together again. The things they did together were, to me, magical.

I still love Wilco today. But - as someone on another forum put it - Wilco with Jay Bennett was the band I fell in love with.

Very sad. I agree with many others that the Wilco incarnation with Tweedy and Jay Bennett was a wondrous thing. I also wanted to note that Jay didn't stop making music after he was booted from Wilco, and some of that music is very good. His 2004 album The Beloved Enemy is spotty, but the high points are very, very good.

Found this surprising Tweet waiting for me this morning:

"jay's death a real shock to us yesterday. our daughter used 2 date jay. He celebrated Xmas with us 1 yr, played Scrabble"

It's from David Neff, editor-in-chief of the Christianity Today Media Group .

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.