I LOVE THIS TOWN!

I walked into the store at 7:00am this morning and did my usual "Good Morning!" to all I encountered. No way was I the first into the store, not at all. However, the first three (at least) that I encountered said in lieu of their own Good Mornings, "You see that game last night?". Only in Detroit (outside of Canada of course) would folks watch an overtime game plus trophy presentation (would Zetterberg touch it, or keep with traditional superstition unlike Crosby of the Pens?) and then show up for work at 5:00am.

This Finals won't be like the Final Four with a city on its back turning its lonely eyes to the Spartans. This is Detroit's business as usual where everyone tracks the Winter Game well into late Spring. I talked to customers all day. Even the NBA geeks flipped back and forth. And now that no Canadian teams are left standing, Hockey Night in Canada tries desperately not to treat the Red Wings like a home team while East Coast media focus completely on the Eastern Conference. Indeed, Detroit is really the southernmost city of the Great Frozen North. I love every minute of it. No pity. No feeling sorry for two of the Big Three going down despite Obama's meddling. Just good, tough Hockey. No feeling sorry for Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Draper, and other assorted key players being down. We'll gut it out. Wonderful.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Detroit. You travel South to get to Canada. You're in the Eastern Time Zone, but the Western Conference. You guys are so messed up.

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Detroit. You travel South to get to Canada. You're in the Eastern Time Zone, but the Western Conference. You guys are so messed up.

And they wonder why things are so tough here. Seriously though, there are benefits. Technically, we should be in the central time zone. With EDT, we get dusk somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00pm in June. Downside, games from The Pond started 10ish.

You know, folks are already planning and stocking up for games one and two this weekend. Hilarious.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Yup. WSJ's sports page today reported that Superior Fish in Royal Oak (opposite corner of I-696 and Woodward from Ferndale) sold twenty (20) octos Wednesday before the game. There are stiff penalties on the part of the league to the team for throwing them, so The Joe throws you out if you are caught with possession. Still, one landed as the game ended and celebration began. Folks buy 'em to have 'em. Of course, fried calamari rings are a bar and greek restaurant staple here too. I wonder how many folks actually ate any of those twenty...

I swear, everyone is pumped. The theaters and movie houses will be dead Saturday night. Dead.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Plus, the Lions just signed Jon Jansen, a 10-year Redskins vet who was just cut. :( He's suffered from injuries in recent seasons, but I hope he helps the Lions.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Plus, the Lions just signed Jon Jansen, a 10-year Redskins vet who was just cut. :( He's suffered from injuries in recent seasons, but I hope he helps the Lions.

He can't make them any worse

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin