Buckeye Jones

Spammers

196 posts in this topic

TrefScepe over here.

Dale

missa seems to be a spammer for Louis Vuitton merchandise. Check out her post here.

missa seems to be a spammer for Louis Vuitton merchandise. Check out her post here.

Banned. Thanks.

Best I can tell, "143040" new members today before the board changeover: 14. "143040" new members today after the changeover: zippo. I'm tentatively going to take this as a good sign. Good job, Imageers.

Dale

Just a reminder that the upgrade of the board is going to be happening incrementally over the next several days.

A lot of tweaks need to be made. We're open to hearing about stuff that's either not working or not pleasing you -- but post about that under the announcement of the upgrade.

Thanks.

Yeah but it looks like someone threw up on the place.

And what the heck is a post-snapback anyway?

And I don't think links work anymore, or if they do I am out of my league and will need to take some lessons.

Only one new member since the changeover, and he seems legitimate.

Dale

Seems like a spammer to me. Signed up before the switchover, though, so still no (known) spammers have signed up and posted since the captcha was installed.

Dale

Another suspicious case. Has posts in two different threads.
Seems like a spammer to me. Signed up before the switchover, though, so still no (known) spammers have signed up and posted since the captcha was installed.

Agreed. Posts removed, name escalated. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I can't explain this as well as Anna can, but there's an extremely valuable new feature in this version of the board called "Flag as Spammer." This I believe is the single most important way to handle spammers as it automatically puts the spammer into a queue to be dealt with.

Anna, any better explanation for this feature?

Also,

OklanP

has been banned.

I'm not seeing "Flag as Spammer" anywhere on anyone's profile. Is it only for admins/mods?

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I'm not seeing "Flag as Spammer" anywhere on anyone's profile. Is it only for admins/mods?

No, everyone can see it, except members who have already been flagged for spam content, or for content that makes everyone who reads it dumber.

Oh. Wait.

No, seriously, if you go into someone's user profile and you don't see it right under their avatar, then it must be a mod/admin thing. Report 'em to the mods, and we'll flag 'em for the admins.

Greg, thx for the heads-up. Now I won't have to keep sending PMs to Christy E and Anna J.

Edited by SDG

This is an old post, but appears to be spam all the same. Poster still listed as a member.

footprint here.

footprint will never leave his mark on this board again.

Leena here.

Well poo. We were doing so well after the changeover.

Dale

McLeonard, right here. We seem to be inundated with spammers from France. Off with their heads.

McLeonard, right here. We seem to be inundated with spammers from France. Off with their heads.

Deleted. Thanks.

dogduoduo (say three times fast) here.

seeastroboy here and here.

Edited by mrmando

I can think of more than a couple reasons why you might not want to do this (such as that it may not be possible), but is there any way that you could give some of us regular folks who have been here a substantial amount of time the ability to "flag as spammer" without giving us full mod privileges? I wouldn't use it on SDG, I promise! [fingers crossed, fingers crossed]

Dale, showing right there why he shouldn't have mod power

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I've been meaning to say for weeks that Dale should be a moderator just so he'll stop bothering everyone else with all the spam he finds. He's like a spam hawk, a spam hound, he sniffs it out wherever it hides. If he just had the power to flag and unapprove posts himself the rest of us wouldn't even have to know about it.

I don't even care if he starts abusing his power by wreaking havoc with my posts. It would be less intrusive.

- SDG, who knows Dale knows I love him

Edited by SDG

I've been meaning to say for weeks that Dale should be a moderator just so he'll stop bothering everyone else with all the spam he finds. He's like a spam hawk, a spam hound, he sniffs it out wherever it hides.

I'm just lucky at finding spam, I guess. I mean, it's definitely not because all the spam on the board is surreptitiously posted by me and then I pretend to just happen to find it in the hopes of becoming a hero for finding so much spam. Not that anyone is saying that. But in case you were thinking it. Which you weren't. But in case you were.

Dale