You know, I just happened upon this post by thisisnotspamnopenoway that you might want to check out. I think it might be spam.

No, no, you are the real heroes.

Dake

You know, I just happened upon this post by thisisnotspamnopenoway that you might want to check out. I think it might be spam.

Dake

I'm not sure that's real spam. thisisnotspamnopenoway appears to be Spanish, not French.

SDG   

Dake

See? Spam, spam, spam in your face. Always pointing it out, like he's mocking Greg and his efforts at tightened board security.

I say, better to have him in the tent peeing out than outside the tent peeing in. Make him a moderator and shut him up.

How does he DO it so fast, anyway? It's like ... it's like he's actually ... I don't know. In cahoots with these spammers, or something. Like they ... like they tip him off before posting, or ... something. Yeah, that's it. I don't know. I'm out of theories. Anyway. It's annoying. You see what I mean.

Wait. "Dake"? "DAKE"??? Is someone playing games here? "5DG" type games?! What the heck is going on????

I'm not sure that's real spam. thisisnotspamnopenoway appears to be Spanish, not French.

You mean ... it's Spamish?

Edited by SDG

SDG   
mitchrobins here. Seems to think the moderators are falling down on the job.

I know a quick way to change that.

Anna J   

Deleted and flagged. That's weird that so many showed up. I'll re-check our spam filter.

Great idea on the spam-flagger thing. I'll create a member group to that effect.

Persona   

There is a poster named M Dale Prins that needs to be removed. He likes spam.

Not really, but it's palatable if you mix it with scrambled eggs and potatoes.

Dale

Persona   

So are sardines but they totally stink up the tub when you eat them in the bath.

Persona   

Leary is right, Newport, nice as the intentions might be, is still a spammer.

FWIW, this post, written by this person, looks a little suspicious to me. It is, at any rate, kind of similar to some of the spam messages that have been hitting my blog lately.

It looked suspicious to me, too, so I deleted it.

Don't know if this is "spam", technically, but...

Lately I have found that, often, when I use Google instead of the A&F search engine (just to make sure that the term I'm searching for isn't one of the terms that A&F ignores), clicking on the A&F link provided by Google takes me *not* to A&F but, instead, to a link like this <http://url4short.info/f108fd7c>. But if I go back to the Google search results and then click on the link to A&F again, I get through to A&F all right.

Does anyone here know why this might be happening? And is it happening to anyone else, or just me?

Don't know if this is "spam", technically, but...

Lately I have found that, often, when I use Google instead of the A&F search engine (just to make sure that the term I'm searching for isn't one of the terms that A&F ignores), clicking on the A&F link provided by Google takes me *not* to A&F but, instead, to a link like this <http://url4short.info/f108fd7c>. But if I go back to the Google search results and then click on the link to A&F again, I get through to A&F all right.

Does anyone here know why this might be happening? And is it happening to anyone else, or just me?

It's also been happening to me. And I have no idea why.

Edited by Ryan H.

Oh, it also happens to me when I click on an A&F link in Google Reader. (New threads -- or threads that haven't been updated since the software upgrade in late 2009 -- pop up in my news feed.)

So, it's apparently affecting both the Google search engine and the Google reader. But I haven't had this problem with anything *else* that I connect to via Google. So I don't know if this is a Google thing or an A&F thing or something unique to the overlap between the two.

opus   

OK, I was able to replicate this once. url4short.info is a URL shortener service a la bit.ly or goo.gl -- or at least, it was. Apparently it has been shut down (ironically enough, due to spam), meaning that any short URLs created with it are no longer valid. Which would explain the odd error page that pops up.

However, as to why those url4short.info links existed in the first place, I have no idea. I've done some digging through the site settings, as well as some additional Google searches to see if anyone has encountered this problem with the board software, but so far, no luck.

If you encounter this issue any more, could you make note of what link/topic you were attempting to access?

Rushmore   

A couple times it's happened to me on a link to the A&F index page--but coming from Bing, not Google.

For the last week or so, this has happened to me every time I use the Google search method on the first try of a given session. I'm on a Macbook using Safari. The url4short page comes up, but after I navigate away (getting the stern dialogue box Making Really Certain), a second window pops up advertising "MacCleaner" and exhorting me to keep my Mac clean. After getting away from that, I can click through to the thread I wanted from the Google results page.

Tyler   

I've gotten the same thing several times in the last week or so. I just tried searching "Tree of Life" with the A&F site search (on a MacBook using Firefox), and it happened again. The URL I was redirected to is: http://url4short.info/f108fd7c. When I click back or close the tab, I get the "are you sure? data you have entered on this page may be lost" warning.

Edited by Tyler