Perhaps this thread is the place to suggest this: I've joined a couple forums where new members need to have one or more posts approved by a moderator before they can post freely. (On CriterionForum.org it's five posts, but one is probably enough.) Seems like a good way to avoid spam without raising the barrier to entry too high.

Edited by Rushmore

Thanks Rushomre,

I'm working with Image to get the site transferred over. Once it is, working through this thread to clean up some of the spam is a priority. 

Big problem in the music forum.

Is it easy to adjust the board settings so that new users need some kind of manual approval, or perhaps a few posts, before starting new topics?

14 minutes ago, Rushmore said:

Big problem in the music forum.

Saw it. I deleted the threads, but Ken as Administrator may need to explore the suggestion about new users and new threads.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:30 AM, Joel Mayward said:

Saw it. I deleted the threads, but Ken as Administrator may need to explore the suggestion about new users and new threads.

I am not opposed to such an idea, though I'd like to try  some less intrusive fixes first. The board software seems good at identifying those who have spammed other boards and flagging them when they register, so the requirement to make people respond to a validating follow up may be sufficient. 

If I understand the control panel correctly, I haven't figured out how to prevent new user from posting yet, but I did change the automatic moderation settings so that if *any* member flags content as spam it is hidden pending review. This works only if the person reported has less than 10 posts. I'll set up a separate response is reported for something other than spam. 

Edit: I created a rule that would temporarily hide content if it is reported as Offensive -- Inflammatory. This doesn't delete it, just hides it pending review. Question, how many reports should it take to temporarily hide an offensive post? 

10 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Edit: I created a rule that would temporarily hide content if it is reported as Offensive -- Inflammatory. This doesn't delete it, just hides it pending review. Question, how many reports should it take to temporarily hide an offensive post? 

Two reports would seem reasonable, just to prevent a single person from wreaking havoc.