opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

237 posts in this topic

Yowza. It's a good thing I'm broke. Otherwise, I might have to go back and get THIS, a boxed set I hadn't noticed before.

* Army of Shadows

* Au Hasard Balthazar

* Bande à part

* Billy Liar

* Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisis

* Mafioso

* Murderous Maids

* Rififi

* The Third Man

* Touchez pas au Grisbi

Edited by Overstreet

TBeane, those Ozus are the only titles that gave me serious pause as I browsed through the catalog listings. I have very fond memories of seeing my first Ozu film on Bravo while at college 20 years ago. It was Floating Weeds, which is available from Criterion with a slightly different title. Several years ago, I caught another Ozu film at the Virginia Film Festival and it was marvelous. Trouble is, I can't remember the title -- was it Early Spring? Late Spring? Early Summer? Late Autumn? Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring? Wait a minute: That last one isn't Ozu. :)

My Ozu viewing beyond those two films extends only to Tokyo Story, so I'm woefully underrepresented in my exposure to the man many consider the world's greatest filmmaker. My film professor had a license plate that read "Ozu" -- maybe he still has it -- but he never showed us any Ozu films.

What film classes did you take from that professor? Did you ever ask why he didn't show you any Ozu?

I contacted him with this question, and he confirmed my suspicion: In the late 1980s, he was showing us films from his 16 mm collection. Ozu 16 mm prints were hard to come by. He tells me that now, with beautiful DVDs, he shows Ozu films with some regularity.

Perfect timing. Somebody gave me a gift card just today! Dreyer boxed set, you will be mine...

Awesome. Because I really didn't need that $100. Picked up the new Stagecoach Blu-ray, Akerman's Jeanne Dielman, and the three Douglas Sirk films.

My wallet didn't need that. There goes the housesitting money I was just paid yesterday...

Picked up Hunger, M, and Che on Blu-ray, coupled with the Life Blu-rays I bought last night, I am done buying movies for a while...

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD and ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS are now on their way. :)

Edited by Ryan H.

Add to that, F FOR FAKE, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, PEEPING TOM, THRONE OF BLOOD, and VIVRE SA VIE.

I went with Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales.

I picked up Ozu's An Autumn Afternoon, Godard's Vivre sa vie, and Rossellini's War Trilogy.

Not B&N sale, but related: Amazon is putting a "heavenly" Criterion Blu-Ray on their Gold Box lightning deal at 10AM PST today.

The only Criterion Blu-Ray I know of that is currently available is Malick's Days of Heaven, so just go ahead and get ready to buy if you don't have it already.

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:

: Not B&N sale, but related: Amazon is putting a "heavenly" Criterion Blu-Ray on their Gold Box lightning deal at 10AM PST today.

: The only Criterion Blu-Ray I know of that is currently available is Malick's Days of Heaven, so just go ahead and get ready to buy if you don't have it already.

Actually, the Criterion Blu-Ray they're selling is Wings of Desire -- which was once titled Heaven over Berlin, sort of.

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:

: Not B&N sale, but related: Amazon is putting a "heavenly" Criterion Blu-Ray on their Gold Box lightning deal at 10AM PST today.

: The only Criterion Blu-Ray I know of that is currently available is Malick's Days of Heaven, so just go ahead and get ready to buy if you don't have it already.

Actually, the Criterion Blu-Ray they're selling is Wings of Desire -- which was once titled Heaven over Berlin, sort of.

I was soooo sad when I saw this, as I already owned a copy.

Does anyone know of a way to filter Netflix to only get Criterion releases?

I don't think there is, but I found this Mubi list of Criterion Watch Instantly titles.

My package has arrived. I now have a shiny stack of new DVDs sitting on my coffee table, along with three Netflix rentals, a Roku box, and five or ten other discs I need to watch. Only problem? I haven't had time to watch a movie in about three weeks.

Nope. There are user lists like this one, which can be pretty unreliable not only for lack of updates but because of Netflix's at times deceptive system. The Bank Dick, for instance, uses the Criterion image but according to user comments Netflix sends out some other version.

Whereas Greencine has a very nice Criterion filter.

Just FYI, the sale is on again for this whole month! I picked up The Thin Red Line and Seven Samurai yesterday.

Yep. Just ordered The Thin Red Line myself.

Barnes & Noble members can get 25% off on top of the half-off sale with these coupons:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36218

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36217

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36216

Anyone, including non BN members, can use this 25% off coupon:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36219

These coupons expire Nov. 14th and are good in-store only, with no online code. Conceivably you should be able to use all four coupons on four different Criterions, though probably not in the same purchase.

Just FYI, the sale is on again for this whole month! I picked up The Thin Red Line and Seven Samurai yesterday.

Drat!

It's still November, but I'm looking and I don't see the 50% sale. I should have double-checked on that expiration date... I was planning on picking up Close-up and Last Days of Disco.