opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

237 posts in this topic

The sale is back! Just grabbed Solaris and Army of Shadows.

Hopefully Three Colors will be out by the next sale in November.

Yay for the Criterion sale! I stopped by and picked up quite a few today.

Care to share which?

Debating between the DVD and the Blu-ray of Close-up. They're the same price, for some reason.

Is the blu-ray really going to improve the quality of that film much?

I'll be able to play the DVD on more of my equipment.

Pretty sure I'm picking up Make Way for Tomorrow this time, and perhaps Hoop Dreams.

Care to share which?

Sure!

ANDREI RUBLEV

BLACK NARCISSUS

BRIEF ENCOUNTER

THE GREAT DICTATOR

KAGEMUSHA

KISS ME DEADLY

PATHS OF GLORY

SENSO

Later this week, my wife will pick up THE MAGICIAN, RAN, and THE SEVENTH SEAL.

Debating between the DVD and the Blu-ray of Close-up. They're the same price, for some reason.

Is the blu-ray really going to improve the quality of that film much?

Well:

"This is a very strong high-definition transfer. Aside from inherited random minor flecks, scratches and cuts that pop up here and there, the high-definition transfer represents a major upgrade over Facets Video's old R1 SDVD release of the film. Fine object detail, especially early into the film, is excellent. Clarity and contrast levels are also convincing. The color-scheme does not disappoint either - yellows, greens, blues, browns and blacks look natural. The film's grain structure is also intact. Furthermore, neither edge-enhancement no macroblocking are a serious issues of concern. Excluding some minor fluctuations during the documentary footage from the trial, there are no serious stability issues either. All in all, this is a very strong and much needed upgrade of an important film. (Note: This is a Region-A "locked" Blu-ray disc. Therefore, you must have a native Region-A or Region-Free PS3 or SA in order to access its content)."

blu-ray.com's review.

I picked up Kiss Me Deadly on DVD (wanted Blu-ray but the store didn't have it). I really wanted to get Night of the Hunter, but that was priced at $25 even with the sale. I'll probably give in and pick it up sometime in the future.

This is by far the most expensive thread at A&F I've ever read.

Read it. Became curious. Visited the local Barnes & Noble. Was dumbfounded at the wide selection. Spent much more cash than I was planning.

Left with the store with:

Hobson's Choice

Ikiru

Insignificance

Sullivan's Travels

Wild Strawberries

The Virgin Spring

and

Yi Yi: A One and a Two

I picked up Kiss Me Deadly on DVD (wanted Blu-ray but the store didn't have it). I really wanted to get Night of the Hunter, but that was priced at $25 even with the sale. I'll probably give in and pick it up sometime in the future.

The new KISS ME DEADLY release is stellar.

This is by far the most expensive thread at A&F I've ever read.

Absolutely. But Criterion is like crack for film lovers, and when there's a good sale, we're helpless. All of us, helpless. And B&N displays the collection so beautifully, making films I hadn't even considered purchasing beforehand seem very attractive.

I spent a few minutes browsing the B&N site yesterday and looked long and hard at the Close Up blu-ray, but I ended up not buying anything. It made me realize that, in general, I've lost interest in owning films. I bought my first DVD player in 1997 and have a collection of 200 or so movies, but I can't see myself adding to the stack except when particular favorites are released or when I worry that the DVDs might be my only chance to see the films (I'd really like to get the Ford at Fox boxset, for example, because I doubt they'll ever be released in another format). Otherwise, I'm content with renting and streaming, and I'm eager for the days of true on-demand viewing, which surely isn't too far off.

I spent a few minutes browsing the B&N site yesterday and looked long and hard at the Close Up blu-ray, but I ended up not buying anything. It made me realize that, in general, I've lost interest in owning films. I bought my first DVD player in 1997 and have a collection of 200 or so movies, but I can't see myself adding to the stack except when particular favorites are released or when I worry that the DVDs might be my only chance to see the films (I'd really like to get the Ford at Fox boxset, for example, because I doubt they'll ever be released in another format). Otherwise, I'm content with renting and streaming, and I'm eager for the days of true on-demand viewing, which surely isn't too far off.

I feel much the same way. I wouldn't have said so even a year ago, but Netflix and Hulu have made some big changes in how I think about owning/possessing media.

B&N members can get an extra 20% off on top of the ongoing half-off sale with this in-store coupon. Online code: L3C9C3K.

Non-members can use this coupon for 15% off. Online code: K4D8U4X.

These coupons expire tomorrow (7/25).

Edited by du Garbandier

Wow. That does it. I'm grabbing Playtime on blu-ray and Make Way for Tomorrow. Thanks!

Edited by Overstreet

I purchased The Night of the Hunter on blu-ray, The Ruling Class, and The Lady Vanishes. My recent foray into the realm of blu-ray adds another stratum of difficulty to these decisions. I find myself endlessly pondering about the benefits of upgrading a given title, or whether such and such a title will go out of print (ala Kind Hearts and Coronets, alas), or will it come out on blu-ray. Etcetera, etcetera.

At such times I often think of Dr. Johnson:

The advertisement of a sale is a signal which at once puts a thousand hearts in motion, and brings contenders from every part to the scene of distribution. He that had resolved to buy no more, feels his constancy subdued; there is now something in the catalogue which completes his cabinet, and which he was never before able to find. He whose sober reflections inform him, that of adding collection to collection there is no end, and that it is wise to leave early that which must be left imperfect at last, yet cannot withhold himself from coming to see what it is that brings so many together, and when he comes is soon overpowered by his habitual passion; he is attracted by rarity, seduced by example, and inflamed by competition.

Edited by du Garbandier

Picked up The Red Shoes tonight on Blu-ray. Very excited.

Criterion is having a 50% off flash sale for the next 75000 seconds, thanks to reaching 75000 FB fans.

Boo they don't ship to the UK.

Criterion is having a 50% off flash sale for the next 75000 seconds, thanks to reaching 75000 FB fans.

Nice. Now I can add CUL-DE-SAC and THE KILLING to my shelf.

Black Narcissus and Paris Texas will be mine.

Just spotted this at Home Theater Forum:

Amazon currently has a number of great Criterion Blu-ray releases on sale for below $25 a title. Many are $20-$22. Here's a linked list for anyone who wants to pick up some gaps in their library:

Blow Out - $19.99

Sweet Smell of Success - $21.49

Paths of Glory - $19.99

The Red Shoes - $21.49

Modern Times - $22.49

The Double Life of Veronique - $19.99

Le Cercle Rouge - $20.99

Army of Shadows - $21.49

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - $15.99

Identification of a Woman - $20.99

Kes - $21.49

Amarcord - $21.49

Senso - $20.99

Fish Tank - $20.99

Topsy-Turvy - $20.99

The Makioka Sisters - $20.99

Au revoir les enfants - $20.99

The Naked Kiss - $21.49

Yi Yi - $21.99

Still Walking - $21.49

The Leopard - $29.99

Shock Corridor - $22.49

White Material - $20.99

Edited by Overstreet

They're at it again. And this time I coughed up the cash to get something: Claude Chabrol's Le Cousins (not to be confused with Le Cousins Dangereux) and Le Beau Serge. Both on blu-ray. I've liked-or-loved everything I've seen by Chabrol, so I'm looking forward to adding these films to my collection. Edited by NBooth

Okay, if anybody here finds coupons that will work in tandem with this sale, let us know!

The pre-order of the Kieslowski box set is included in the 50% off sale.

Just spotted this at Home Theater Forum:

White Material - $20.99

Criterion released White Material? How'd I miss that? Thanks.

Well, shoot, I got a coupon in the mail today that I can combine with it, so here comes Stagecoach on blu-ray for only $15.99.