opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

Attica   

It's until July 30th? I could resist the temptation if it was only for a couple days, but that's going to last through a entire paycheck or two.

Attica   

Scholar's Parrot said:

:Ahh, this was the thread I'd been looking for. Darn you forum/google search!

Strange... I found it first try in the forum's search.

Persiflage said:

:It's until July 30th? I could resist the temptation if it was only for a couple days, but that's going to last through a entire paycheck or two.

I just had some extra money come in.... and I couldn't hold back. mf_laughbounce.gif

I picked up HOUSE, SCIENCE IS FICTION, BLACK MOON, and WHITE DOG.

Edited by Attica

I have too many DVDs as is, but I bought THE LEOPARD. (I'll pick up THE GAME when it's released later this year.)

My wife picked up UGETSU and THE GOLD RUSH.

Edited by Ryan H.

Attica   

I have too many DVDs as is, but I bought THE LEOPARD. (I'll pick up THE GAME when it's released later this year.)

I've rented Criterions "THE LEOPARD". It's gorgeous.

I've rented Criterions "THE LEOPARD". It's gorgeous.

Agreed on "The Leopard," and I saw only the standard-def version!

Ryan: Did you get the Blu-ray?

Cyarc   

I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic. Criterion releases are just such a bar above anything else out there, but because of that they tend to be a bit pricey.

I happened to pick up The Passion of Joan of Arc, Days of Heaven, and The Thin Red Line. I also got two movies I haven't seen before by Wim Wenders, Wings of Desire and Paris Texas. I watched Wings of Desire last night and found it absolutely beautiful. Worthy of a purchase indeed.

Really though, the sale isn't all that special because they originally charge you the full $40 price, which even Criterion themselves don't hold themselves to. You can get most these movies for just a couple dollars more on amazon throughout the year. Still, you won't find these movies for any cheaper than now, so it’s time to stock up!

Edited by Cyarc

opus   

Gah... we're currently decluttering our house to prepare to sell it, which means getting rids of DVDs, etc. And yet, I'd really like to get that Samurai trilogy on Blu-ray.

Really though, the sale isn't all that special because they originally charge you the full $40 price, which even Criterion themselves don't hold themselves to. You can get most these movies for just a couple dollars more on amazon throughout the year. Still, you won't find these movies for any cheaper than now, so it’s time to stock up!

Actually, when Criterion has their own 50% of sale, they do that (us the SGR of $40) as well. Best Buy and Amazon normally sell the majority of Criterion films at $29, a couple dollars beloe Criterion's standard $31.

I find this sale absolutely frustrating...I cannot really afford more than three... so I keep looking them over...I settle on Being John Malkovich, the Lady Vanishes and the Great Dictator.

I find this sale absolutely frustrating...I cannot really afford more than three... so I keep looking them over...I settle on Being John Malkovich, the Lady Vanishes and the Great Dictator.

I have an ongoing list, about 20 titles total, that I want. I'm the same way, I can only afford 3. So about a month before the sale is set to start, I start debating and I've pretty much got it figure out when the time comes. I've gotten to the point where I have to reserve those ahead of time, because if I look at the titles when I get there, I'll change my mind or buy an extra one.

Hmm. It looks like Barnes & Noble may be cutting back on coupon use with the Criterion sale. I tried and failed to use a member coupon, the sort I always use on the sale. The clerks were baffled about why it wouldn't work. I then tried the online version, which failed as well. Apparently others are having the same experience, judging from other forums.

Since I tend to use my DVD library as a lending library to friends and acquaintances, I only buy Blu-Rays every once in a while. In my experience, so few people have Blu-Ray players. In this instance, I contemplated going for the Blu, but ended up going for the DVD.

Gina   

Snagged Great Expectations. I've also got my eye on Oliver Twist, Charade, and Night Train to Munich. Maybe I should wait for that buy-2-get-1-free sale they do . . . smile.png

Oh, and I had that same experience with an online coupon. No dice.

Edited by Gina

Tyler   

Snagged Great Expectations. I've also got my eye on Oliver Twist, Charade, and Night Train to Munich. Maybe I should wait for that buy-2-get-1-free sale they do . . . smile.png

A buy-2-get-1 sale means you're really getting each one for 33% off, so getting them for 50% off is a much better deal.

Which means you should buy them all now. :P

Tyler   

I've worked in retail. You get to learn how they mess with your heads, like that buy-one-get-one-free sounds more impressive than 50% off, even though they're the same discount. Unless you only want one; then you're screwed.

Since I tend to use my DVD library as a lending library to friends and acquaintances, I only buy Blu-Rays every once in a while. In my experience, so few people have Blu-Ray players. In this instance, I contemplated going for the Blu, but ended up going for the DVD.

Standard-def is spectacular on that title.

So, I was at a family birthday gathering over the weekend. We gave presents to all the adult brothers/sisters/spouses at once. I came home with two Barnes and Noble gift cards, one of which I don't yet know the value of. I had asked for a couple of books I didn't get, so I was thinking of picking those up using the gift cards.

And then I remembered the Criterion sale.

However, my DVD buying has never been much, and has tapered off in recent years. BUT ... I got a Blu-ray player only late last year and still haven't really used it for Blu-ray discs. Only once or twice. Which is to say, I don't think I've really experienced Blu-ray in full.

This is awkward for me, because I long considered myself a home-video image geek. Now I just take what I'm given and hope the disc doesn't skip. (When you rely on the library for your DVDs, this becomes a fervent hope each time you put a disc in the player and hit "Play.")

I figured a few titles might do the trick, make me a true Blu-ray convert and die-hard. But I looked over the list of Criterion Blu-rays and -- I realize I'll need to hand in my cinephile card after writing this -- none of the titles really grabbed me. Sure, the titles ARE great films. But the ones that most interest me are the titles I already own on laserdisc. Standard-def DVDs would be an improvement. Blu-rays would likely be glorious, right? I just can't get there. I own the movies in a format that once was top-of-the-line, and I feel like I don't need to invest in a new, improved version.

It would take just one look at the Blu-ray of, say, Black Narcissus to make me gush, to make me want to dive deep into the Blu-ray world, wouldn't it? Yeah, it probably would. But for now, I think I'll use the gift cards to buy more books. I probably won't read the books for a while, but at the rate I watch DVDs, exposure to the new books might come sooner than I would watch the Blu-rays.

How'd my life get to this point?

I'm not unhappy. Just ... surprised.

Edited by Christian

I understand not wanting to make an upgrade. Even though I own a few that really crackle, I've found most Blu-Rays to be something of a disappointment.

That said, the Criterion release of THE RED SHOES is a knockout on Blu-Ray.

So, it turns out my "bonus" check carried over into this month (it takes a few months). So, after I paid off a couple things, I treated myself to:

the 39 Steps

Blowout

Broadcast News

Curious Case of Benjamin Button (it was under $11)

Harold and Maude

Diabolique

I understand not wanting to make an upgrade. Even though I own a few that really crackle, I've found most Blu-Rays to be something of a disappointment.

That said, the Criterion release of THE RED SHOES is a knockout on Blu-Ray.

This is definitely the most tempting title. This and the other Powell/Pressburger films. I freakin' love the way those movies look.

Has A Matter of LIfe and Death been issued on Blu-ray yet?