opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

The sale's on again!

I stumbled onto it in the store last night and, having two B&N gift cards with me, I walked out with The Seventh Seal and Vanya on 42nd Street, both on blu-ray.

I'm pretty sure it goes through the end of the year, no?

I have a list. A birthday/Christmas list. And on that list appears:

Blu-rays

Dardennes Brothers

The Archers

(and also Speed Racer, The Adventures of Tin Tin and Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol, but this is a Criterion thread!)

That list was put together before I knew this sale would resume, so it fortuitous.

EDIT: But if I'm given a B&N gift card, I might be persuaded to go with De Palma's Blow Out.

And, did I mention, I still haven't watched at least half of my By Brakhage collection?

Edited by Christian

The sale usually only runs a month at most.

Yeah, the site says the sale goes "through 11/19." My bad. Thought I'd seen a BN.com email indicating otherwise, but I must've been wrong.

If you purchase your Criterion goodies (or anything else at bn.com) anytime from the 10th-15th AND mention MPOW Bookfair number #10866218 the library gets a small cut of your purchases. Shop early and often! And thanks!

I hate to do this, but:

This new 30% off coupon code works with the Criterions (Criteria?):

T9P3E3W (good now through Sunday the 25th)

The in-store coupon is good the 23rd through the 25th.

Brings box sets like Six Moral Tales down to about $35, and regular blu-rays like the new Rashomon down to $14-15.

Edited by du Garbandier

I hate to do this, but:

This new 30% off coupon code works with the Criterions (Criteria?):

T9P3E3W (good now through Sunday the 25th)

The in-store coupon is good the 23rd through the 25th.

Brings box sets like Six Moral Tales down to about $35, and regular blu-rays like the new Rashomon down to $14-15.

I'm screwed.

And here I was trying to keep to a budget and everything.

Attica   

Oh. Great. There goes my family's Christmas presents. ;)

I highly recommend Brazil, which comes out in a week or so, and which Amazon has for $21.99.

When I revisit that film in a month or so, I have a feeling it might jump past Blade Runner as my favorite sci-fi film. And Gilliam's best work, I think.

Tyler: Which DVDs are you planning to buy for me? I'm not picky as to the title, but I do prefer Blu-ray.

Thanks.

Criterion announced a one-day-only half price sale today. Enter the promo code FLASHY when you check out.

I'd never taken advantage of one of these Criterion sales until last night. My wife and I picked up a number of movies; most were for her classroom, a couple for me (it helps that we'll also watch the "classroom" ones at home too).

We got: Children of Paradise (Blu-ray), Au revoir les enfants, Beauty and the Beast, The Kid With a Bike, In the Mood For Love (Blu-ray), The Last Days of Disco (Blu-ray).