opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

Here's a 30% off coupon that should work with this sale. You have to use a Mastercard in-store. Good from 11/21 through 11/24. 

THANK YOU. I'll try it out on my way home from work.

Boom. The Devil's Backbone on blu-ray for $13, thanks to that extra coupon. Not bad at all.

Today I bought the Zatoichi box set for 70-some dollars with the coupon, despite not knowing much of anything about these films.  

NBooth   

Sigh. Time to pick up "Purple Noon" and "In the Mood for Love," I guess.

Hmmm. Long Day Closes, Like Someone in Love, or Picnic at Hanging Rock? Ouch. 

Evan C   

I'll probably get M and Night of the Hunter, but I'll see what's at my local B&N.

Scanners ?!?

I mean, other than the first five minutes...

I like, Cronenberg, but, sheesh...

Mike_tn   

Thank you, I would have missed this. Eyes on Modern Times (1936), and considering Diabolique (1955). A bipolar couple.

Got A Hard Day's Night and On The Waterfront.  Almost picked up My Man Godfrey.

Rushmore   

I'm still firm in my resolve not to buy any new movies until I watch all the ones I have. I've broken this rule for some super-cheap used DVDs - and for The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is a special case - but I will not do so for a brand-new Criterion. This means I have some quick catching up to do before the sale ends.

When I do, I'm looking forward to owning Weekend - not the Godard, the other one.

Edited by Rushmore

NBooth   

Picked up Purple Noon and In the Mood for Love (the latter to replace the cheap version I bought a few months back)--both of which I've seen and enjoyed. Also picked up the DVD version of Like Someone in Love, which I've not seen.

Well, it was going to happen to me sooner or later. I bought the Solaris blu-ray only to realize I already owned it. Instead of returning it I wonder if anyone would like to trade me some other Criterion blu-ray for it? I don't have any particular titles in mind. 

D. Adam   

Well, it was going to happen to me sooner or later. I bought the Solaris blu-ray only to realize I already owned it. Instead of returning it I wonder if anyone would like to trade me some other Criterion blu-ray for it? I don't have any particular titles in mind. 

I'd be willing to trade my unopened Criterion copy of Paris, Texas on blu-ray (which is a great movie, but...let's just say I wouldn't leave Solaris unopened).

I'd be willing to trade my unopened Criterion copy of Paris, Texas on blu-ray (which is a great movie, but...let's just say I wouldn't leave Solaris unopened).

DEAL! I'll message you to swap shipping addresses.

I'm still firm in my resolve not to buy any new movies until I watch all the ones I have.

I picked up Picnic at Hanging Rock, Parix Texas, and The Long Day Closes... but I realize, with some chagrin, that I *still* haven't watched Devil's Backbone, which I picked up at the last sale.

This is the way of Criterion sales. I have Criterions I got years ago from sales that are still sealed. Hence why I only picked up Like Someone In Love this time around because I know I'll watch that one again in the next six months.

Darren H   

I mentioned this on Twitter last week, but the Demy, Rossellini/Bergman, and Vigo sets are still sitting in my B&N shopping cart. Eleven of my all-time favorite films on Blu-ray for only $132, and I just can't pull the trigger. Mostly because I know that when they arrive, I will ignore them for several months because of writing projects, and also because, when I do have the time to watch them, I'll be more inclined to stream some film I've never seen before.

Are any of you reluctant to invest in another physical medium?