opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

I like the control that a blu-ray gives me. I can take it places that don't have strong wifi. I don't have to worry about paying unpredictable fees to see it in the future. I can loan it to other people. And often, when I'm writing fiction *or* reviews, I find myself scanning my movie shelves for ideas about how my subject interacts with those creative works. The fact that I'm paying the same, or less, for blu-rays now than I did for VHS back in my college years... that's one of the happiest surprises of format progress.

Anders   

I bought THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE at SCMS directly from the Criterion rep's table, because it was $20 cash, no shipping. But I'm reluctant to buy any more since I've now subscribed to Hulu and their massive Criterion channel. There's enough great world and art house cinema on there to keep me busy for a while.

I'm trying to focus my Blu-buying only on the directors who I know I'll be studying closely for the rest of my life (so far just Tarkovsky, Rohmer**, Kiarostami, Malick, Rossellini), with a few other one-off beloved films.  No blind buys, and if I can't see myself gushing to any future children about a title, I don't think it qualifies. And I prefer the reassurance of having my favourite films in a high quality physical version, should the Internet die. 1080 will remain a very watchable resolution, even if the projection technology gets higher and higher past 8K.

**Speaking of Rohmer, as far as I'm concerned this set is the new Holy Grail of home video. Can't afford it right now, but man, what a collection.

M. Leary   

I've now subscribed to Hulu and their massive Criterion channel. There's enough great world and art house cinema on there to keep me busy for a while.

Hulu+ is rad. I just signed up last month and like it a lot.

Thom   

Hulu+ is tempting. So is Amazon Prime. I have really grown tired of Netflix and the selection but before I cancel I have a few documentaries to watch.

Anders   

Hulu+ is tempting. So is Amazon Prime. I have really grown tired of Netflix and the selection but before I cancel I have a few documentaries to watch.

I subscribe to both Netflix and Hulu. We like Netflix for the children's selection (PBS Kids, Disney), TV selection, and newer stuff. Criterion and the ability to watch many shows on demand the day after they stream on HuluPlus is well worth it for us.

Darren H   

When we got rid of cable two years ago, I signed up for Hulu+, and we were already members of Netflix and Amazon Prime. For writing and fest coverage I also subscribe to Fandor, FestivalScope, and Mubi. This gives me three lifetime's worth of movies at my disposal, and a year's subscription to all six costs less than three of our old DirecTV bills. This is why I struggle to justify buying DVDs.

Evan C   

I had a (very large and very generous) gift card to Barnes and Noble, so I picked up: The Jacques Demy box collection, Don't Look Now, Make Way For Tomorrow, Paths of Glory, and Sweet Smell of Success.

I had a (very large and very generous) gift card to Barnes and Noble, so I picked up: The Jacques Demy box collection, Don't Look Now, Make Way For Tomorrow, Paths of Glory, and Sweet Smell of Success.

Great choices.

I just ordered THE FISHER KING. Was going to grab THRONE OF BLOOD, but learned it's not eligible for the sale. (The B&N employee told me the blu-ray isn't out yet... which is weird. I swear I saw it last time I was in the store, and Evan told me he saw it too.) So I may go for PERSONA or LA DOLCE VITA or ERASERHEAD instead. Trying to make up my mind.

I just ordered THE FISHER KING. Was going to grab THRONE OF BLOOD, but learned it's not eligible for the sale. (The B&N employee told me the blu-ray isn't out yet... which is weird. I swear I saw it last time I was in the store, and Evan told me he saw it too.) So I may go for PERSONA or LA DOLCE VITA or ERASERHEAD instead. Trying to make up my mind.

Looks like ToB come out on Blu-Ray in January of '14. It's one of the dual-format releases, both DVD & BR in the same box. Might this have contributed to the conclusion?

I'm looking to grab all 3 Dardenne Bros, but I've been meaning to twice a year, whenever they have these sales, since they came out...it's hard to get down to the US in the middle of summer.

I've asked friends and colleagues to recommend a favorite or newly acquired Criterion for those looking for sale suggestions. First up is Evan on Don't Look Now

Picked up Room With a View, Moonrise Kingdom, and Double Life of Veronique. So happy.

Attica   

Don't Look Now, Frances Ha, and Babettes Feast will be mine...

Rushmore   

I got Moonrise Kingdom and #1 in the Eclipse Series, "Early Bergman". (Anyone else love the Eclipse series? Some of them are great companion pieces to films in the main collection. They have a Chantal Akerman one that looks good, for example.)

D. Adam   

I wanted The Black Stallion, my wife wanted Babette's Feast. Then we realized we had no Chaplin films in the house and settled on The Great Dictator. I'm second-guessing this decision now, since I love that movie but it's not a silent Chaplin.

Attica   

Great choices, both of you. I ordered The Night of the Hunter.

Oh.  Night of the Hunter is a fine choice.    :)

Attica   

I wanted The Black Stallion, my wife wanted Babette's Feast. Then we realized we had no Chaplin films in the house and settled on The Great Dictator. I'm second-guessing this decision now, since I love that movie but it's not a silent Chaplin.

I just about picked up The Black Stallion, but it wasn't that long ago that I had rented it.  Maybe next tim around.