opus

Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble

Evan C   

I swung by Barnes and Noble, and picked up Wild Strawberries, All That Jazz, Mulholland Dr., Moonrise Kingdom, and Polanski's Macbeth.

I also saw this juxtaposition of titles, and laughed way more than I should have. (My laughter had nothing to do with The Fighter, there was just no way to frame the shot without including it.)

004.jpg

NBooth   

Heh.

I picked up Mulholland Dr. on the day the sale started. I haven't popped it in my player, yet, but I'm eager to give it a spin.

Evan C   

That's not quite alphabetical, is it?

I saw way more titles than that in not quite alphabetical order. (This was a different Barnes and Noble from the one I normally go to, and it was far less organized.)

Picked up Code Unknown and Mulholland Drive. Next big sale, which was a bargain with my member discount and my 20% off coupon. Next big sale, I'm going for Apu.

Attica   

It's not a Barnes and Noble - but anyhow.

2 hours ago, Mike_tn said:

B&N 50% off Criterion starts today.

November 1, 2016

With one of the coupons below you can get Dekalog blu-ray for $42.50. Less is you are a "member" 

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

I bought the Dekalog on blu-ray immediately prior to checking A&F, and thus just missed this coupon code. The good news is that I still get the Dekalog on blue-ray.

Got shot down this time trying to use my 20% off members-bonus coupon. The coupons listed above weren't accepted either. So, instead of bringing home three items, I came home with only one.

Tried to share this momentous occasion with friends on Facebook Live, but the music playing in the background disqualified my video from Facebook. (Sigh.) 

1 hour ago, Overstreet said:

Got shot down this time trying to use my 20% off members-bonus coupon. The coupons listed above weren't accepted either. So, instead of bringing home three items, I came home with only one.

Tried to share this momentous occasion with friends on Facebook Live, but the music playing in the background disqualified my video from Facebook. (Sigh.) 

What did you get?

I wanted to pick up THE MUSIC ROOM, but no local store has the Blu Ray, so I think I'll wait until AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS comes out next week and that will be my pick for this round.

Mike_tn   
On 11/7/2016 at 10:03 PM, Overstreet said:

Darn. The coupons worked for me. Both of them. After reading Overstreet's post I found a page of excluded items on B&N site. It's long. No way would all of it fit on a coupon. The words Criterion Collection is not written on the two 15% coupons above in the exclusions but it is on the long web site exclusion list, however a cashier may ignore the web list like mine did.

Link http://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/terms-and-conditions/coupon-exclusions

On 11/7/2016 at 11:34 PM, magadizer said:

What did you get?

I wanted to pick up THE MUSIC ROOM, but no local store has the Blu Ray, so I think I'll wait until AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS comes out next week and that will be my pick for this round.

The Music Room, from India, never heard of it before, that's why this forum is interesting, such tastes around here, arcane yet noble. I may order it, my sister has three children by a man from India (divorced) and they travel there often. Seems B&N could get anything to your local store in a few days. Cutting a swath down the mid-USA, The Music Room is in B&Ns in Ann Arbor, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St Louis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, Dallas. There is a The Music Room mid-USA dead zone for B&N stores in my area, that's Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham....country where many neighbors think the front lawn doubles as a driveway. Thanks for the idea.

On 11/7/2016 at 9:34 PM, magadizer said:

What did you get?

The Dekalog.

(I've always called it The Decalogue. Trying to get used to a different spelling.)

On 11/20/2016 at 2:43 PM, Overstreet said:

The Dekalog.

(I've always called it The Decalogue. Trying to get used to a different spelling.)

Excellent. I managed to get that one on an earlier coupon. Making my way through it slowly rather than in one binge session. I did pick up DREAMS and Welles's THE IMMORTAL STORY.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:28 PM, Mike_tn said:

The Music Room, from India, never heard of it before, that's why this forum is interesting, such tastes around here, arcane yet noble. I may order it, my sister has three children by a man from India (divorced) and they travel there often. Seems B&N could get anything to your local store in a few days. Cutting a swath down the mid-USA, The Music Room is in B&Ns in Ann Arbor, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St Louis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, Dallas. There is a The Music Room mid-USA dead zone for B&N stores in my area, that's Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham....country where many neighbors think the front lawn doubles as a driveway. Thanks for the idea.

I wrote about it earlier this year after my first viewing. It's an incredible film.

https://fforfilms.net/2016/07/20/blind-spot-2016-the-music-room/

Does anyone have the Criterion Blu of the Three Colors trilogy? I only recently realized that was available as a set. I may have a chance to buy it this weekend, but I'd like to know about the quality of the transfers.

I know I can check DVD Beaver or some other sites, but wanted to ask here, knowing there are Kieslowski fans who would have had high expectations for the set. Also, I know we have dedicated threads for the separate movies and may have some scattered discussion on the individual Criterion titles. If we have a dedicated discussion specifically for this set, forgive this post. 

On 11/23/2016 at 1:36 PM, Christian said:

Does anyone have the Criterion Blu of the Three Colors trilogy? I only recently realized that was available as a set. I may have a chance to buy it this weekend, but I'd like to know about the quality of the transfers.

I know I can check DVD Beaver or some other sites, but wanted to ask here, knowing there are Kieslowski fans who would have had high expectations for the set. Also, I know we have dedicated threads for the separate movies and may have some scattered discussion on the individual Criterion titles. If we have a dedicated discussion specifically for this set, forgive this post. 

I do. They look terrific to me.

Only controversy I'm aware of is the framing on BLUE. There is a shot in which you can see the boom mic, which presumably should have been cropped out by the framing, but wasn't for this Blu-ray presentation.

Edited by magadizer
Autocorrect spelling errors

Closing this out by reporting that with the 50% sale plus my Barnes & Noble member discount ($4), I was $4 over budget for the Three Colors trilogy Blu-ray.

I bought it anyway.

Edited by Christian

My picks for November.  I went $8 over my intended budget because of all the great things being said about In A Lonely Place, over in the Noirvember Film Club thread.

Criterion November.png

There is a 30% off B&N coupon good through this weekend. Here's the instore coupon. The online code is BNBFRIDAY16. Alas, like just about all other coupons this sale, it excludes Criterions.  

I printed a few and used them on signed books (by Tony Bennett, Billy Collins, and Jon Klassen). You could probably also get some solid discounts on vinyl or non-Criterion films. 

10 hours ago, Christian said:

Closing this out by reporting that with the 50% sale plus my Barnes & Noble member discount ($4), I was $4 over budget for the Three Colors trilogy Blu-ray.

I bought it anyway.

This was a wise decision and I fully support it.

Evan C   
20 hours ago, Christian said:

I bought it anyway.

You are truly an inspiration to all of us.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:36 AM, Christian said:

The quality compared to early releases is nothing short of astonishing. I believe these look better than what I saw in the original theatrical release.

ATTENTION SHOPPERS

Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale returns on Tuesday, July 11 and concludes August 7th. 

Stalker, which I believe releases July 18th, stands atop my wish list. I may also consider the Marseille Trilogy, L'Argent, Woman of the Year, and Ozu's Good Morning.

Unfortunately, Sacha Guitry's La Poison will be released a week or so after the sale ends. I like The Story of a Cheat so much I will certainly grab La Poison at a later sale.