Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

The inspiration for Bull Durham

Ron Shelton (who wrote and directed Bull Durham and was a minor league infielder in the Baltimore organization) has a piece in the L. A. Times today about Steve Dalkowski - said to have thrown up to 110 mph. Enough for Williams to step away from the plate after one pitch in a ST game. Cal Ripkin Sr was his catcher. Joe Altobelli was his roomie. Dalko is being inducted into The Baseball Reliquary's Shrine of the Immortals today.

Edited by SDG

Good story. Good job by Shelton too, but I'm a Shelton fanboy. I love that line by Ripken, Sr. that Dalko was wild high and low, but not in and out; though the hitters didn't know that. Reminds me of the headgames Crash would play with the green Class A hitters in Bull Durham. I disolve into giggles whenever those scenes appear and I attempt to do similar stunts with the kids I work with.

From the LA Times sports section today, Chris Erskine takes in a Cal League (class A) game with Shelton.  He notes that Shelton is working on turning Bull Durham into a musical.

Act I closing number (a locker room sequence involving the whole team) - The Rose Goes in the Front, Big Boy

Some other possible song titles....

Throw the Ball! Hit the Ball! Catch the Ball!  (Skip solo)

That's a No-No with Umpires (You're a C**ksucker!)

He F**ks Like He Pitches (Annie and Millie duet)

From the LA Times sports section today, Chris Erskine takes in a Cal League (class A) game with Shelton.  He notes that Shelton is working on turning Bull Durham into a musical.

Act I closing number (a locker room sequence involving the whole team) - The Rose Goes in the Front, Big Boy

Some other possible song titles....

Throw the Ball! Hit the Ball! Catch the Ball!  (Skip solo)

That's a No-No with Umpires (You're a C**ksucker!)

He F**ks Like He Pitches (Annie and Millie duet)

dance number: Lollygaggers