Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee -- Noël

M. Dale Prins

Can someone fix the "e" in the title of the thread? I guess the new board doesn't care for the poor, defenseless umlaut.

All's going quite well, albumwise. Noel is the second best-selling holiday album at CD Baby (it was first, until it was displaced by a Halloween album that is "[r]ecommended if you like Jonas Brothers [and] Kidz Bop"). The first review of the album called it "touching in its understated brilliance" and says that "[t]he tracks flow seamlessly, one into the next, and remind one of butter being stirred into hot fudge, swirling and glistening, warm and sweet." And even my in-laws claim they like it.

Anyway, I'm really posting because I have this...theory, I suppose, about this album. Or really about albums in general. And I think I might test it here at A&F for 24 hours tomorrow. Just some advance warning.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Can someone fix the "e" in the title of the thread? I guess the new board doesn't care for the poor, defenseless umlaut.

FWIW, I think you can tweak it yourself, since you wrote the first post in this thread. You might have to switch to "full editor", though. And I don't think umlauts are necessarily a problem when they're brand new (as this one would be again if you re-inserted it now); it's only when the board goes through upgrades that it changes umlauts and curly-quotes and lots of other things to questioning-diamonds.

: Anyway, I'm really posting because I have this...theory, I suppose, about this album. Or really about albums in general. And I think I might test it here at A&F for 24 hours tomorrow. Just some advance warning.

Hmmmm.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Okay. Call this my Amazon CDBaby Daily Deal.

For the next, oh, 27 hours or so, the entire album Noël will be on sale at CDBaby for $1.99. (MP3 album only; CD still $12.99.)

Arts & Faith is the only place I'll be mentioning this (I'm calling it the "Arts & Faith $1.99 MP3 Album Sale"), but it's not a secret, per se; you can tell anyone you want, privately or publicly.

So, um. Go.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I'll just keep heaping the kudos on this album until everyone on A&F buys a copy. Please, help Dale recover his costs on making this album. Give toward the B. Dale College Fund. You will feel good about yourself and you'll have a disc which will break up the monotony of the bland, tripy fare that is most Christmas music.

This album is wonderful.

Thanks for making it, Dale.

This is not a paid advert, even though it looked like it.

I'll just keep heaping the kudos on this album until everyone on A&F buys a copy. Please, help Dale recover his costs on making this album. Give toward the B. Dale College Fund.

According to my master spreadsheet, I have $161.08 to go to break even. Which means right now Benjamin owes me $161 before he's allowed to go to start saving his own college fund. That seems about right.

Of course, if I hadn't paid metalfoot that $200 bribe to promote the album...

Dale

Noël is now CD of the Month at indie music blog The Deli Chicago. Kind of a shocker to me, given the genre of music they usually spotlight.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

You can add to that misquote my friend's initial reactions: "weird... not bad." And you can imagine me lauding the album in-between, but that'd be boring, so don't.

He is quite picky musically, though, so the above reception is a sign of the music's broad appeal.

Edited by KShaw

Everything that matters is invisible.

-- Robert Bresson

Here's my favorite review, from a straight-talkin' woman in one of my bell choirs: "I liked the instruments and the singing, but why did you have to go and mess around with all the songs? You should have just recorded the carols the way everyone knows them."

Dale