Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna J

Upgrade: Skinning done 10/19/2009! Please help.

68 posts in this topic

Something else to watch for (forgive me if someone has already mentioned it):

In the 'What We're Watching...' thread, Darrel recently posted the title of a film, and it was italicized -- which I assume means he used the square-bracketed tags for italicizing things. But when I QUOTED his post in my reply to him, the tags came with pointy brackets instead -- and thus the tags remained visible when his post was embedded in my reply to it. So it seems the board is converting square-bracketed style tags to pointy-bracketed style tags, but not back again when needed.

Ze goggles! Zey do nothing!!

We were able to change about half the skin, but a lot of it is yet to be changed. As luck would have it, the upgrade happened exactly the week of the biannual IMAGE board meeting, so we won't be able to make it look better until Monday or Tuesday. So sorry!

This is what we WERE able to change:

1) Old HTML tags are being converted so they don't show up like this: <!--quoteo(post=205497:date=Oct 8 2009, 09:23 AM:name=BethR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BethR @ Oct 8 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=205497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}> The Invision system is automating it somehow, but it's going to take a while because we have so many posts.

2) To insert Youtube or any other videos, click the "media" icon when you're posting, to the right of the Insert Code Snippet icon.

3) To view new posts instead of viewing the first post, click on the little yellow icon to the left of the thread title that says "go to first unread post."

4) Top100 avatars should now be available.

5) Indent feature should be working correctly

I'm really not sure about the quotes. Maybe if we're lucky they will get fixed as Invision changes the old HTML tags. We'll see.

Anything else (besides kudos on the lovely juxtaposition of pink and grey)? Comment here!

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention on the old board, but I'm loving the "fast reply" feature.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention on the old board, but I'm loving the "fast reply" feature.

It was always there -- I used it all the time -- although I think you had to hit a button first to go to it. The revamp just shortened it by a step, which is good.

Dale

Anna J wrote:

: 2) To insert Youtube or any other videos, click the "media" icon when you're posting, to the right of the Insert Code Snippet icon.

Any other? ANY OTHER!?

Let's try Google Video ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8309276319136441602

... and Vimeo.

Well, one out of two ain't bad. Awesome.

Oh wow!!! Now I can go back and make a direct connect to Turkish Star Wars and Turkish Star Trek!

If you are a person that prefers not to have an avatar you get penalized with a big red X. Is there some way to fix that? If not, I guess I will just be big red X dude.

FWIW, I don't see a big red X. Maybe it only shows to the person whose avatar space is empty?

I see a broken image. Maybe it's different browsers -- I'm Chrome/PC.

Dale

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Maybe it's different browsers -- I'm Chrome/PC.

Ah, good point. I normally use Firefox, but I just opened this page in Internet Explorer and saw the red X there. So I guess there's something there in the code that causes some browsers to say "Hey, we don't know what to do with this!" and other browsers to shrug their shoulders and ignore it entirely.

Peter,

That video made me smile. :)

PS edit - why is everything italicized?

Edited by Persona

Hi friends,

Huzzah! I was finally able to do away with the salmon. I know it's still lurking in some places like "View New Content," so if you see anything that is still pinkish or randomly green or any other jarring color, please leave a link here and I will try to dispose of it straightaway.

Question: Are the "Edit," "Reply," MultiQuote" buttons at the bottom of each post still pink for you all? I'm seeing gray and Greg's seeing pink, so I can't figure out what's wrong. I am new at this, so if anyone has any skinning tips, please don't hesitate to offer me advice.

Still pink here.

Question: Are the "Edit," "Reply," MultiQuote" buttons at the bottom of each post still pink for you all? I'm seeing gray and Greg's seeing pink, so I can't figure out what's wrong.

Pink!

I notice that when we edit our posts now, we open a sort of editing window within the thread instead of leaving the thread altogether. This is a nice surprise. Does this mean we will once again be able some day to see the most recent posts in a thread when we are creating a brand-new reply to it, and not just editing an existing reply?

I notice that when we edit our posts now, we open a sort of editing window within the thread instead of leaving the thread altogether. This is a nice surprise. Does this mean we will once again be able some day to see the most recent posts in a thread when we are creating a brand-new reply to it, and not just editing an existing reply?

Peter - try Fast Reply at the bottom of the thread!

Anna, thanks for the tip. I had never even thought about Fast Reply before, and I am now using it for the first time ever.

For most posts, this will suffice, but for some posts -- the ones where we "quote" other posts, and especially when we "multiquote" -- we still wouldn't be able to see the most recent posts while we are composing our replies, right? (With the "multiquote" feature, you might think we wouldn't need to see the recent posts AGAIN while we are writing our replies; however, under the old system, whenever we clicked Preview, it was possible to see any NEW posts that might have appeared in that thread since we started writing our replies.)

FWIW, I note also that Fast Reply doesn't seem to have a Preview feature.

Peter: Yes, I believe you are correct about the preview options and seeing the most recent posts. I do not know of anything we can do to change it. Sorry about that!

How's the pink now for everyone?

Things are looking good, Anna. Today, the site's running just fine for me. Thanks so much for all of your behind-the-scenes work.

Just a suggestion: Since you're putting so much into this, you should give it some kind of personal stamp. How about picking your favorite Journey song and having that come on as the A&F theme music?

Things are looking good, Anna. Today, the site's running just fine for me. Thanks so much for all of your behind-the-scenes work.

Just a suggestion: Since you're putting so much into this, you should give it some kind of personal stamp. How about picking your favorite Journey song and having that come on as the A&F theme music?

Nah, go for Boston's "Smokin." Great organ solo.

Nah, go for Boston's "Smokin." Great organ solo.

YES.

Forum is getting larger... Help I'm being swallowed whole... What do I do to make is smaller again...

Huh. Not sure what to make of the serif fonts. I've been using them at my blog for years, but I've also pondered getting rid of them, and I have always enjoyed A&F as a respite from them. (I know, I know, I'm a weirdly conflicted kind of dude.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0