Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Upgrade: Skinning done 10/19/2009! Please help.

Huh. Not sure what to make of the serif fonts. I've been using them at my blog for years, but I've also pondered getting rid of them, and I have always enjoyed A&F as a respite from them. (I know, I know, I'm a weirdly conflicted kind of dude.)

The serifs may get tiring. As Jason recently pointed out, Mrs. Eaves now has a san-serifed companion: Mr. Eeaves.

Back when I was a Journalism major, I was taught that serif fonts were more legible in longer passages, which is why every major newspaper, most magazines, and most books use them as body text (although that's changed somewhat in the 10 years since I was in college). But I've also read that the opposite is true with reading text on a computer -- something about the limitations on the minimum size of the serifs (since they must be >=1 pixel). So I think as long as you're using something with a large x-height, like Verdana or Georgia (which is what the body text is set to now), you should be fine.

Or Wingbats. Everyone loves Wingbats.

[Addendum: Actually, rather than a font change, I'd rather just see the body text set to #000000. This dark grey on light grey is the biggest readability problem A&F has.]

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I really like the use of Georgia on the forum, but I also think it would be better if it were set to black instead of grey. All the other grey text touches work well I think, but if the main text of the thread were set to black I think it would really help it pop out.

So is the Sheriff why everything got big and swallowed me whole?

We're going to continue to solicit your opinions over the weekend and will weigh the issues early next week.

We'll experiment a bit, based on the feedback, and try to choose the best options.

Keep your thoughts coming.

;) I took a quick look at a bunch of sites that I was sure used black for text, and found out that they don't.

So hey, more contrast (darker text; not necessarily black) is my amended plea. :)

FWIW, I had no idea the text wasn't black until people began saying it wasn't. Apparently it's dark enough at this end.

Or at least the main body text is. There are a few buttons'n'things where the text is awfully faint (like the buttons at the top and bottom of this thread which say "You cannot start a new topic").

FWIW, the serifs have begun to grow on me. But not in the sense that I've suddenly developed a lot of pointy growths on my joints and limbs or anything like that.

Number me among the serif-im.

Hard to say why: I suppose that the serif font gives me a sense that contributions here have more "weight." Serif fonts slow me down ever so slightly, but enough that it makes a difference. I read a little more carefully. And that's a good thing.

As one of those people who edits almost every post -- I write, post, then read for corrections -- I wouldn't mind if the "This post has been edited by..." were one font-size smaller or somehow else made a little less prominent. Right now, with the different color around it and the bolded name, it's the first thing my eye goes to in a short post.

Dale, nitpicking excessively

Edited by M. Dale Prins

As one of those people who edits almost every post -- I write, post, then read for corrections -- I wouldn't mind if the "This post has been edited by..." were one font-size smaller or somehow else made a little less prominent. Right now, with the different color around it and the bolded name, it's the first thing my eye goes to in a short post.

Dale, nitpicking excessively

You might want to change that to "point-size." B)

You might want to change that smiley to one without sunglasses. I don't see any sun in here.

Dale

You might want to change that smiley to one without sunglasses. I don't see any sun in here.

Dale

Yes. Anna, can we change the smirking icon so that he/she/it is not wearing sunglasses? I want to see the beuatiful eyes.

Re: Serif vs. sans serif.

We really like serif font. In fact, all of our office paperwork is in the same lovely serif (Galliard) of IMAGE's text! The response here seemed mixed, so after some deliberation we have decided to keep it for now. We are open to continued feedback, however, and we're not totally against reconsidering. If anyone has any suggestions for a more legible serif font, we welcome those as well.

I'll see what we can do about the edit text, at least.

As for the most recent suggestions--wiseacres.

I often have issues responding to posts in the Film section even though signed in. Anyone else experience that?

I think it probably has to do with your group being "Validating" rather than "Member."

Dale

Michael:

Dale was correct, so I have changed your group to Member. I hope I did the right thing! Let me know if you have any problems.

I often have issues responding to posts in the Film section even though signed in. Anyone else experience that?

I think it probably has to do with your group being "Validating" rather than "Member."

Dale

Sign in to follow this