Things kids say

240 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

30 seconds ago:

Suzanne to 6-year-old Anna: "Anna, why are you naked?"

Anna: "'Cause I took off my clothes."

Posted (edited) · Report post

If she'd asked you would you have given her a different answer?

Edited by Darrel Manson

Oh, lessee: I felt like being naked. I didn't like the clothes I had on. So, waddaya think? "The woman though gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I did eat."

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Well, this thread has taken an unexpected turn. 8O

I was going to answer Darrel's question with a simple "Probably :)," followed by a redirect in the form of another cute kid quote.

Here is an old favorite, from the mouth of David when he was about four and just beginning to grasp rhetorical strategy. No one any longer remembers the exact original context, but obviously he was trying to resist an unappealing course of action. His rationale:

"A.), I don't want to, and B.), I won't."

Edited by SDG

Posted · Report post

: His rationale: "A.), I don't want to, and B.), I won't."

...Such a Greydanus

Matt

Posted · Report post

...Such a Greydanus

I hope that's an observation about systematic thinking and rhetorical style, not willful obstinacy. :D

Posted · Report post

SDG wrote:

: I hope that's an observation about systematic thinking and rhetorical style, not willful obstinacy. :D

One reinforces the other. :)

I've been trying to think of something that I could add to this thread, but I haven't thought of anything yet. I'm not sure my daughter has said anything that would come across as all that funny without a certain amount of context, yet. (Neither of my boys talks yet, really.)

Though it IS funny to see how she argues with me sometimes over what words to use for things. Whenever we watch certain cartoons produced by Warner Brothers, and the opening logo with Bugs Bunny comes on, she'll say "It's a rabbit!" and I'll reply "Yes, it's Bugs Bunny" and she'll reply "It's not a BUNNY! It's a RABBIT!"

Posted · Report post

Context is helpful at times. For example, we have a garden patch that is being raided by groundhogs. Dominic, 3, said earnestly the other night: "I'm going to jump out of bed, cartwheel down the stairs out the door, and tackle the groundhog."

My wife had been talking to my boys about being Peace Makers. Their Bible Story the night before had been on that topic and Amy (my wife) was trying to reinforce it during the day. Well, they were in the van and Amy was talking to them about it when Ethan, my 4 year old, declared that he was a fighter. Amy said, "No. God wants us to be peace makers." Ethan responded, "I'm a peace fighter!" Amy tried again to explain the difference and correct him. Ethan thought about it for a second and then yelled out good naturedly, "You want a piece of me?" That's my son...

Edited by Phill Lytle

Posted · Report post

Now THAT'S funny!!. Actually all of the above are pretty good, I just busted a gut on the last one. Sorry for the hijacking a few posts back.

Posted · Report post

A friend of mine's daughter just turned two. He said "Yup, the terrible twos. Guess I'll be hearing a lot of the word no."

I nodded, because that's what he'll hear if he's lucky. Clarity bypassed that word in favor of:

"Yes, but..."

"Well, I thought I'd help by..."

"Ok, I was just going to..."

"Uh huh, ok...after I finish doing this I'll..."

"I just figured you might want..."

Last night, at prayers, she came in and asked to pray a special prayer to God:

"Dear God, and Jesus, um...please let Marilyn be okay tomorrow, and let her sister know that I didn't take her dollar. I'm telling the truth that I didn't take it, because if I did, that would be lying, and I'm not lying, because if I did, I know that would make you very sad, and I don't think you could handle it."

Posted · Report post

"Dear God, and Jesus, um...please let Marilyn be okay tomorrow, and let her sister know that I didn't take her dollar. I'm telling the truth that I didn't take it, because if I did, that would be lying, and I'm not lying, because if I did, I know that would make you very sad, and I don't think you could handle it."

:lol:

Posted · Report post

I found my daughter stacking all of her puzzles on the stairs. Her explanation: "I am organizing my puzzles so that I can celebrate them."

While in time out, she told us that her imaginary friend "Anna" died the other day. Why?: "Because her mom put her in time out too much."

Posted · Report post

Context is helpful at times. For example, we have a garden patch that is being raided by groundhogs. Dominic, 3, said earnestly the other night: "I'm going to jump out of bed, cartwheel down the stairs out the door, and tackle the groundhog."

How many times has this kid seen the Matrix? :)

Posted · Report post

8-year-old James, on Suzanne's late brother David, who (some of you will remember) died very suddenly a couple of years ago from a virulent leukemia:

"Uncle Dave was a LAWYER???

I thought he killed bad guys."

Posted · Report post

This is becoming a candidate for Best Thread Ever.

(I think the last time I said that, it was a thread involving M. Dale Prins, but I can't remember now what it was about. Stef? Leary? Anybody remember?)

Posted · Report post

While in time out, she told us that her imaginary friend "Anna" died the other day. Why?: "Because her mom put her in time out too much."

You know, there is really some truth to this. I was never put in timeout (didn't exist back them) and I'm still alive in my late 50's.

This is becoming a candidate for Best Thread Ever.

(I think the last time I said that, it was a thread involving M. Dale Prins, but I can't remember now what it was about. Stef? Leary? Anybody remember?)

This one.

Of all the threads I've participated in in A&F et al., clearly the greatest was the one (and only? I don't recall) appearance of the beloved 5DG. But I think it was before this current iteration, so I'm not sure it survived. Ten minutes of searching hasn't been fruitful.

(I have, however, found some of the lost posts by our good friend donald napoleon sprim...)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Posted · Report post

Of all the threads I've participated in in A&F et al., clearly the greatest was the one (and only? I don't recall) appearance of the beloved 5DG.

Oh yes. I still sometimes just crack up at random moments, thinking back to that thread.

Posted · Report post

My wife Amy was praising the boys for being so well behaved one day:

Amy:

Posted · Report post

My wife tells me our daughter was pretending to graze like a horse when she was in the bathtub the other day:

Wife: What are you doing?

Daughter: I'm eating.

Wife: Are you eating grass?

Daughter: No, Larry-Boy.

I should probably mention that my daughter loves cucumbers.

Posted · Report post

Hm. Even PTCs forum ninja skillz can't wrestle up some 5DG snippets? I honestly don't remember that thread.

Posted · Report post

HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THE GREATEST THREAD IN THE HISTORY OF ALL OF SEVENTEEN ITERATIONS OF THIS VENERABLE okay I'm done now.

All I know for sure is that it's from the Novogate era or earlier because I've seen references to 5DG in the Novogate archives. I don't even recall what the initial topic of the thread was, which might help in finding it.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Hm. Even PTCs forum ninja skillz can't wrestle up some 5DG snippets? I honestly don't remember that thread.
HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THE GREATEST THREAD IN THE HISTORY OF ALL OF SEVENTEEN ITERATIONS OF THIS VENERABLE okay I'm done now.

Redirect: Too good to be true.

Posted · Report post

I found 4DG.