SDG

Things kids say

SDG   

It's not typical Things Kids Say fodder, but hey: Today in Mass, 18-month-old Catie joined in singing the Latin Agnus Dei: Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis ("Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us").

techne   

today, while playing in the new sandbox, my son aden said: "some people may think this is just a mound of sand, but it's really a sculpture." that made me smile. a lot.

Having just celebrated Mother's Day and Father's Day in the past month, my 5 year old son asked, "So, when is it going to be Kid's Day?"

M. Leary   

Setting: The morning of Bella's fourth birthday.

I tell her that for one of her gifts, I will be taking her to one of my favorite dusty little used bookstores to start her very own chapter book library.

She says: "That is a great idea, dad. Libraries are like a shelter."

LOL Leary! She sounds like she has been visiting one of D.C.'s libraries, they are shelters in more than one way ;)

opus   

Last night, Lincoln experienced a massive thunderstorm which featured some amazing lightning. While we were driving through the city, my wife decided to use the time to impart some spiritual teaching to Simon.

Renae: Simon, who makes the lightning?

Simon: God!

Renae: Simon, who controls the lightning?

Simon: Thomas [the Tank Engine]!

He's also pretty good at the Lord's prayer. It's especially cute, perhaps ironically so, when he says "temptation".

opus   

A little context: One of Simon's best friends is a boy named River. The two are nearly inseparable -- you should see them run around after church -- and Simon always wants to see "Riv", as he calls him. We recently found out that River's grandpa is very sick and may be entering his final days. Simon's grandpa (whom he calls "papa") is very dear to him, and so not surprisingly, he's become very concerned about "Riv's papa". As a result, whenever we pray as a family, Simon always reminds us to pray for Riv's papa.

Which, of course, makes me very proud of the little guy.

Today my daughter saw a picture of my wife, sitting in a forest, taken several years before my wife and I had actually met.

My daughter remarked: "I've never been there before...I'm so young!"

Did my daughter actually KNOW that that picture was taken years before she was born?

SDG   
Today my daughter saw a picture of my wife, sitting in a forest, taken several years before my wife and I had actually met.

My daughter remarked: "I've never been there before...I'm so young!"

Did my daughter actually KNOW that that picture was taken years before she was born?

I'm not sure why, but this reminds me of something Catie, who is not yet two, said a few weeks ago.

In our stairwell we have a row of photographs of relatives, and carrying Catie up or down the stairs Suz (or Sarah) will talk to her about who the people in the photos are. Most of them she knows from real life, but there are also people that she knows only from the photos, either because (like my brother and his family) we go years without seeing them, or in the case of mother and brother because they've died.

In any case, Catie repeats back the names of the people, like she parrots everything else, but one day Suz, thinking Catie might be confused about the fact that we never actually see Uncle Dave, said to her (in that singsong, exaggerated tone that you use with babies) while holding her at the photo:

"Where is Uncle Dave? I can't find him!"

And then Catie said something odd. She announced confidently, "Mary will find him!"

Where could she have gotten that from? One thing we're sure of: The only "Mary" in Catie's experience is the Blessed Virgin in images and statues and in our evening rosary. But we've never talked about Mary "finding" anyone or anything. I can't think of any basis for Catie making that connection.

FWIW, Dave had a nominal Baptist upbringing, and the most that could be said for him in terms of religion was that he approved of American civil religion. A copy of a printout or something of the 23rd Psalm was found in his bureau drawer after he died. Perhaps it meant something to him. Given the circumstances of his illness, he was able to receive the sacrament of the anointing of the sick before he died. We prayed many a rosary for him both before and after he died. May Mary indeed find him. Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis.

Edited by SDG

opus   

From this past weekend:

My Wife: Who is Ian’s mommy?

Simon: Mommy!

My Wife: Who is your mommy?

Simon: Mommy!

My Wife: Who are mommy’s sons?

Simon: Simon and Een.

My Wife: Simon, are you littler or bigger than Ian?

Simon: Big!

My Wife: Right. So what is your relationship?

Simon: He gives me hugs.

FYI, Simon loves his little brother Ian, and is always smothering him with hugs and kisses. Which of course, we find incredibly cute. Ian might sometimes disagree, but he's usually pretty good-natured about the affection.

Edited by opus

Persona   

Trying to get five year-old Elijah Hewson to eat is often like the start of WWIII. And when he doesn't eat and twenty minutes later asks for a snack, well that's like WWIV. I mean, we brought home Qdoba, for crying out loud. If there's anything that should be eaten, it should be that.

But such a scenario did take place tonight, and Elijah Hewson was the bath tub instigator. I think his mommy pretty much said she was tired of it, and he could go to bed hungry. She asked some question, I think it was as simple as "Why won't you eat?"

Elijah, naked and wet with only a bath towel around him, responds: "Mommy, the reason I can't eat right now is because all of my food tastes like broccoli." :) That's my boy!

Describing our voting to 5 year old Dominic the other day over dinner.

Dominic: Are you going to vote for Obama.

Me: We don't vote for president this time. But if we were, I would not vote for him.

Dominic: Why not?

Me: I think his socioeconomic policies are damaging to the long term health of the US republic and find that his support of what I view as radical social initiatives cause so much short term pain in the political process I think it would be best that he was no longer President.

Dominic: (pauses, thinking it over) Is it because he litters?

This is a few weeks old now, but my wife mentioned in her Facebook status a while ago that our daughter (who is 4) had recently started talking about the dreams she's having, and at one point she said, "There are stories in my eyes!"

Our landlords asked my wife and I to hand out candy for trick-or-treating this year, since they were taking their kids around. My wife had to work, so I ended up giving out candy myself. My favorite quote:

Young boy: "We need to go to that over there, because that's my daddy's lawyer and he has the best candy." (he's pointing at a public defender's house down the street)

Here are couple of recent things my kids have said:

Aidan (7 years old): "There were 8 girls in class today, and I was the only boy."

My wife: "You'll love it when you're older. They'll all be fighting over you."

Aidan: "If it's a karate fight, I would totally win."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan (5 years old), after arguing with Aidan: "He keeps using his muscles and strategy!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me to the boys: "So tell me what we read last night?" (from the Bible)

Aidan: "The story of Jesus coming to Jerusalem, people throwing down their coats and branches."

Me: "Good. And what were they saying?"

Ethan: "Um...Go, Jesus!"

MattPage   

Phill - "Go Jesus" is brilliant

Nina was trying to get her head around the fact that there was a time when she wasn't, um, around.

I can't remember the exact build up, it was something like "where was I before I was born" and then "where was I before I was in mummy's tummy", and eventually she concluded:

"Before I was in mummy's tummy was I an idea in God's mind?"

I love that. I'm dying to use it.

Matt

Persona   

The food wars continues...

Both the seven year-old and the five year-old are laughing hysterically for a long period of supper time as I try to force Elijah Hewson -- again -- to eat. Things get so out of hand that I somehow end up chasing him all over the house with a venison sandwich in my hand. Genesis falls out of her chair, she is reeling with laughter. He is ducking in and out of every nook and cranny in the house. I finally corner him and stuff the venison sandwich in his little five year-old mouth, which has actually done better than usual tonight, so I'm willing to live with the stand up comedy.

Elijah, mouth full of venison sandwich, all out of options runs back into the kitchen and shrieks at his sister. We all look. Elijah is laughing hilariously, mouth full of the b-b-que fun, continually whacking himself with both hands in full overhand swats to the groin.

"I'm going to play my pee pee!" :)

More hilarity ensues.

Edited by Persona

opus   

Lately, Simon has become concerned about us running out of things -- e.g., gas, cheerios -- so we've been quizzing him about where we get stuff. Hence this conversation, which I copied from my wife's blog:

My Wife: Hey, Simon, we’re almost out of gas. Where should I go to get more?

Simon: A gas station!

My Wife: And what if I need some coffee?

Simon: At da coffee house!

My Wife: We need some groceries. Where could I go?

Simon: Da gwoooshwee stoe. [That’s “grocery store,” but I bet you got that from the context.]

My Wife: I need more socks. Where do I get those?

Simon: Hy-Vee. [One of our local grocery stores.]

My Wife: Hmmm. Okay, what if I need a shirt?

Simon: Hy-Vee too!

My Wife: How about Target?

Simon: Nooooo. Silly Mommy.

My Wife: [Trying to throw him for a loop.] Where would I get a new belly button?

Simon: [Without missing a beat.] God!

Gun   

Lately, Simon has become concerned about us running out of things -- e.g., gas, cheerios -- so we've been quizzing him about where we get stuff. Hence this conversation, which I copied from my wife's blog:

My Wife: We need some groceries. Where could I go?

Simon: Da gwoooshwee stoe. [That’s “grocery store,” but I bet you got that from the context.]

(...)

My Wife: [Trying to throw him for a loop.] Where would I get a new belly button?

Simon: [Without missing a beat.] God!

That is sooo awesome!

opus   

We're in the process of potty-training Simon, who is almost three. As you can imagine, this leads to all sorts of interesting conversations. For example, here's one that my wife just had with him:

Simon: My penis is broken.

Renae: Why do you say that?

Simon: No peepee coming out.

Renae: Well, that's OK. Maybe you just don't have to go right now.

Simon: No, I tried and tried and no peepee coming out. I need a new penis.

Renae: Honey, it's fine.

Simon: Mama, mama, see this hole? My penis is broken. (Said with a serious face.)

He's also become quite the little guitar god in the last few months.

Man, these posts are making me so glad my parents didn't have online social networking while I was growing up! :)

I *wish* my almost-three-year-old son had enough language to have those kinds of conversations with us. (We're taking him to a speech therapist for assessment on Tuesday, FWIW.) On the other hand, I feel better about the fact that he isn't potty-trained yet.

Meanwhile, my almost-five-year-old daughter has been potty-trained for at least a year and a half, now -- since before she started preschool, at least -- but she still has to be reminded to wash her hands etc.

Two days ago, I heard a flush in the bathroom, and she came running out immediately without washing her hands.

"Wash your hands!" I said.

"I didn't go pee," she replied.

"Oh really? Then what was that flushing sound?" I asked.

"Food," she replied, after looking for a moment like she was trying to come up with an answer.

"Oh really? What food?" I asked.

An even longer moment of looking like she was trying to come up with an answer. And then: "Carrots."

Note: we had not had carrots at all that day, and I don't believe we had any in the kitchen, then, either. So I told her she had to wash her hands anyway.

Like I say, that was two days ago. Today, I walked past the bathroom while she was sitting on the toilet (and yes, the door was open). A minute or two later, I saw her standing in the doorway, about to step out, and I said, "E, wash your hands." "I didn't got pee," she replied again. "E, I saw you on the toilet," I said. "Oh-kay," she replied as she reluctantly turned around and went back to the sink.

I suppose, in terms of psychological development etc., I should be proud that my daughter is increasingly creative. But I'm mildly chagrined by the fact that she's actually LYING to me about stuff now.

-

Incidentally, just now, this second, I overheard her playing at the other end of the room, and I heard her say, "Oh no! My antlers came off! Now I'm a horse!"

-

There was also a fun moment when I took the twins to see Yogi Bear last weekend, when I was standing in the lineup for popcorn and E plucked a box of Junior Mints off the candy rack and said she wanted it. "Have you got any money?" I asked. "No," she said, and then her eyes brightened as she went on to point at me and say, "YOU have money!" (Have you ever seen Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and the scene where an aristocrat tells his son that Marilyn Monroe only wants him (the son) for his (the son's) money, and Marilyn points to the dad and says, quite innocently, "No, I don't want him for HIS money, I want him for YOUR money"? The way E pointed at me, I had a total flashback to that scene.)

Then, at some point during the third act of Yogi Bear, after the title character has stolen various pic-a-nic baskets and whatnot, E told me that she was not going to have any more Junior Mints and we were going to save them until we got home. And then she wrapped her arm around the box protectively and said, "I don't want the bear to steal MY food."

-

Incidentally, E knew beforehand that we were going to see that movie together last Saturday morning. And so, on the Tuesday night before we saw the movie, shortly before her bedtime, I overheard her pacing about the room and saying, somewhat blandly, "I have four more sleeps..." And then her voice perked up as she suddenly said, "Hey, I'm going to sleep soon!" Like it was exciting to her to be getting one of those sleeps out of the way.