Sign in to follow this  
Wiederspahn

Seraphine

I just saw this last night and consider it to be absolutely fantastic. It left quite a profound impression with me. Has anyone else seen it? IMO, it is one of the year's best, and will be and should be much discussed on this board.

I was lucky enough to be able to catch this at the Portland International Film festival.

My favorite element was certainly her work itself. I didn't know it was a true story while I was watching it; I've been meaning to look up her work online...

BTW, my cousin's comment on leaving the theater: "It restored my faith in filmgoing." I'm good with that.

I'm going to try to catch it this week as a reward for finishing my latest manuscript edit. It's playing at the neighborhood theater for 3 bucks a ticket. Anybody else seen it yet? I know Ken Morefield's a huge fan.

It isn't just the most extraordinary performance by an actress I've seen in years.

It's also among the finest films about art and artists I've ever seen. It's in the league of Babette's Feast... a work of spiritual significance that I want to share with everybody.

If I see a film this year that affects me as much as this one did, it will be a very rich year indeed. It explores thematic territory that is very close to my heart... unnervingly close, in fact, as several moments are deeply connected to stories I'm trying to tell.

At first I thought that it would be a film in which the visual artistry is insufficient to its subject. But no, it is a humble film, a simple film, and yet it takes that approach in order to honor the work of the artist it celebrates. And when the paintings are revealed... wow. The audience was gasping, and I was both dazzled and terrified. I was completely unfamiliar with this artist until tonight, and I am inspired to learn more.

Folks have asked me what visual artists I'd like to see paint a representation of the art Auralia weaves in Auralia's Colors, and I've always said that I'm not familiar with an artist who inspires that mix of joy and holy terror that I imagine Auralia's work would inspire. I have a hard time imagining art that would affect its audience the way Auralia's work is said to affect people in my story. Well, now I'd happily point to some of the works by Seraphine that are shown onscreen in this film and say that she gets pretty close to the kind of thing I had in mind. I just never expected I'd actually *see* that kind of thing.

Thank you, Aaron and Monsieur Knight, for the encouragement to see it. I am so glad I saw this on a big screen. I am wrung out, and yet filled up. Devastated and inspired. Richest moviegoing experience of 2009 so far for this guy.

Edited by Overstreet

a work of spiritual significance that I want to share with everybody.

Sold.

I know you wouldn't flippantly throw out a phrase like this.

Edited by Persona

Jeffrey, so glad you loved it. I could not agree more - one of the finest performances we've seen in years. And absolutely ditto on one of the finest films about art and artists ever made. And not only that, but art and artists mixing it up with the divine. I would be willing to wager that this film easily winds up in the top 10 of Arts and Faith most spiritually significant films. It just does not get much better than this.

I remember when I saw "Andrei Rublev" for the first time. It was what made me want to be a filmmaker, made me realize that I wanted to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out how to do what Tarkovsky did. I wanted to be an artist aligned with my God. I wanted to be an artist who was truly "after it". I wanted to dive into the glorious waters of the beautiful Other. I wanted to be willing to swim across the tumultuous seas of this world of art, carried along by my God, in spite of the possibility that many in this world might consider me mad. Like Tarkovksy's Rublev, I wanted to be willing to spend years in silence so that last I could catch even the slightest glimpse of the glory of the One.

Anyone who knows me, knows that "Andrei Rublev" is at the top of my film list. So with that being said, I am overjoyed that now, my dear, sweet Seraphine has made me feel, again, the way I felt when I first encountered my beloved Rublev and she joins him at the top of that list. Its only my opinion, of course, but I truly believe there have only been a handful of moments in cinematic history where it is as though the wind of the spirit blows across the screen, leaving something of the Divine for us all.

Obviously, I can't say it any stronger: if its playing in a theater near you, get thee to the cinema.

I've written some reflections on S

Edited by Overstreet

The actress, Yolande Moreau, was known before for playing with a theater company called Les Deschiens, quite funny shows, in the absurd humor kind, very visual (not far from the Monty Pythons in some way). I saw one of them live, and Yolande Moreau in particular had an incredible stage presence.

I haven't seen S

Drat.

I wanted to show this film to a group of Christian artists and influencers this weekend at a special event in Texas. My appeals to the studio and the DVD distributor went unanswered. Too bad... they could have won an enthusiastic audience with great word-of-mouth influence.

Didn't realize I could order a Canadian DVD, and now I probably can't get it in time.

Anybody have a copy they could overnight to me?

Edited by Overstreet

Watched it on Netflix tonight. For about the first hour and a half, I thought it was a "nice" movie, with a great performance by Moreau, and some really interesting paintings, but it hadn't grabbed me like it did with Overstreet. After

the "buying the dress" scene,

though, it became a different movie for me, not just in what happens in the last half hour, but in how it made me re-examine my impressions of the movie up to that point.

Is anyone else on the board familiar with Henry Darger? I thought about him a lot when I was watching Seraphine. Emily Watson's character from Breaking the Waves, too.