Sam Phillips - The Long Play

Josh Hurst

You won't be disappointed. It's not just a "long EP," if you know what I mean.

To be honest, I DIDN'T quite know what you meant upon my first listen to the album-- or, I guess, I wasn't sure to what extent I agreed with you-- but yes indeed: I listened to the album on my commute this morning, really focusing on the lyrics, and am impressed by the complexity of the writing here. Obviously, the symbol of the camera is an important motif here, though I'm not sure if I've worked out exactly what it means. In some songs it seems pretty clear, but I feel like the meaning of the symbol... or, perhaps, just the connotation of it... shifts as the album progresses.

I am also wrestling with just how that last song-- the lone EP holdover-- is meant to fit into the album's themes.

As for the music: I confess to some initial disappointment, if only because the album doesn't have the same sort of fireworks as the Magic for Everybody EP, which I really love. But I'm coming to appreciate the album as, really, a fairly somber, even elegiac entry in her canon... and, to my ears, the album where she sounds the most comfortable in her own skin.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to all of the Long Play music now, and I'll happily confirm that Jeffrey was right. This is brilliant work across the board, and should have been on everyone's Top 10 list last year. The fifth EP, I confess, is perhaps my least favorite of the bunch, but it's still invaluable; the Tom Waits cover is a thing of beauty, maybe the best Section Quartet collaboration of the entire bunch, and the new take on "Lying" is immediately the essential one.

Cameras in the Sky continues to impress me more and more, as one of the most addicting and rewarding things she's ever released. I would easily call it her best release since A Boot and a Shoe in 2004, in fact. No small feat.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

The question being to me: is music to download a "release"?

Starting to buy downloads wouldn't only change my habits: it would bring A LOT of questions to me. Probably worthy of a whole debate here or anywhere else.

I don't know why it wouldn't qualify as a "release" if 1. you're paying for it and 2. it's the only format in which the music will be made available. I might use slightly different terminology if this music was one day going to be released on a CD-- which I know you and I would both prefer, Hugues!-- but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com