Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Top Ten of the Decade

I have been looking forward to this thread more than I have been looking forward to the labor of actually putting together my top ten of the '00s. Let's commence!

Link to a Metacritic list for the decade.

Edited by MLeary

Haven't we done these list threads pretty formally in the past? Perhaps we should limit this thread to lists (members and otherwise) and start another one for discussion.

Okay, with the note that this list of personal favorites is in serious flux, and the added note that there is still a whole lotta 2009 left to see... here are the ten I'm impulsively inclined to highlight:

1. The New World

2. Code Unknown

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

4. Yi-Yi

5. Gosford Park

6. Punch-drunk Love

7. The Son

8. Finding Nemo

9. There Will Be Blood

10. Spirited Away

And if you check back to this post in the future, you may find that any of the following titles have fought their way into the top ten:

• Almost Famous

• Amelie

• Born Into Brothels

• Children of Men

• The Class

• Dogville

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• Flight of the Red Balloon

• Flowers of Shanghai

• Hero

• The Incredibles

• Into Great Silence

• Lost in Translation

• Millions

• Moulin Rouge

• Munyurangabo

• The Pianist

• Ratatouille

• The Return

• The Royal Tenenbaums

• Seraphine

• Shotgun Stories

• The Station Agent

• Stevie

• There Will Be Blood

• Waking Life

• WALL•E

Again: This is a list of personal favorites, not necessarily the list I would offer if asked for the most significant works of art in the last decade. That would be a much tougher question to answer.

Edited by Overstreet

My top ten? I won't dare rank them (there's too much excellence here, though if I had to pick a favorite I'd select THERE WILL BE BLOOD), but I will list 'em alphabetically.

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD

BURN AFTER READING

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

GOSFORD PARK

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

OLDBOY

PAN'S LABYRINTH

THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Edited by Ryan H.

Polite ahem. This thread was actually in the general Film forum, so a check for a similar thread in the Film Lists forum wouldn't have found anything. Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Thanks, Baal. I, too, had looked over the thread titles on the main "Film" page and too quickly figured we didn't have a duplicate thread, despite a nagging sense that we'd been down this road.

SDG, can you consolidate, and perhaps break off a thread for "other peoples' lists" as well? I'll leave it to you.

This is the non-2009 film list I am musing over. I am sure there are a dozen more in my film journals I have forgotten. (Hm, not one documentary.)

A.I.

A Scanner Darkly

Beau travail

Before Sunset

Brick

Burn After Reading

Code iconnu

Dare mo shiranai (Nobody Knows)

Decay of Fiction

Dogville

Donnie Darko

L'emploi du temps

L'intrus

El cant del ocells

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Le Fils (The Son)

Gerry/Elephant/Last Days

Howl's Moving Castle

Jesus Trilogy and Coda

Juventude Em Marcha (Colossal Youth)

Killer of Sheep

les amants reguliers

Liverpool

Morvern Callar

The New World

Notre Musique

La question humaine

Ren xiao yao (Unknown Pleasures)

Royal Tenenbaums

Ryan

Sang sattawat (Syndromes and a Century)

School of Rock

Secret Lives of Dentists

25th Hour

The Squid and the Whale

Sud pralad (Tropical Malady)

The Sun

Le temps du loup

Talk to Her

Tykwer segment of Paris Je t'aime

Vendredi soir

La voyage du ballon rouge

Werckmeister Harmonies

Yi-Yi

Edited by MLeary

OK here's an off the top of my head list of contenders

Punch Drunk Love

Donnie Darko

The Incredibles

The Story of the Weeping Camel

Dogville

The Real Old Testament

Le Fils

Waking Life

Atonement

This is England

Major contenders still to see: Lives of Others, Up, Death of Mr. Lazarescu

Still in with a shot: Eternal Sunshine, Royal Tenenbaums, Amelie, Memento, There will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Silent Light, Italian for Beginners, Hotel Rwanda, O Brother Where Art Thou? City of God, Passion of the Christ. Saved! Gladiator, Ushpizin,

Took slightly longer than I anticipated. I'm a little surprised to put a film as obscure as "The Real Old Testament" on the list, but I genuinely think it's probably the funniest film of the decade.

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Wow, this is turning out to be much harder than I thought. It may take me thru the end of the year to come up with a list.

My list of top docs:

Born into Brothels

Bus 174

Control Room

Rivers & Tides

Etre et Avoir

Fog of War

Murderball

Body of War

Bowling for Columbine

Jesus Camp

Edited by Darrel Manson

After making a list far too long so I can begin the process. There was one film that jumped out at me as a "must include". Several that "should include" and even more "it would be cool to include". So I probably have my number one of the decade: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring.

My personal favorites list, and yes, I admit I have my biases. These are the sorts of films that I just can't help constantly going back to, again and again.

2000 - Gladiator

2001 - The Fellowship of the Ring

2002 - Band of Brothers (HBO Miniseries)

2003 - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

2004 - The Passion

2005 - Cinderella Man

2006 - The Nativity Story

2007 - Gone Baby Gone

2008 - Gran Torino

2009 - Inglourious Basterds (so far)

Transferring my list from the other thread.... any or all are subject to change....

I'm going to go with my favorites year by year, but I'll probably add some more later...

2000 - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

2001 - Amelie

2002 - Talk To Her

2003 - The Man on the Train / Gerry (both technically 2002... neither came to Sacramento until summer 2003)

2004 - Before Sunset

2005 - Cinderella Man

2006 - United 93

2007 - No Country for Old Men / Zodiac (I honestly cannot choose between these two)

2008 - The Dark Knight

2009 - Up (could and probably will change)

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I'm having a really hard time with this list. I believe I know the first eight or nine that will be on there for certain:

1. Dogville (Lars von trier)

2. Irréversible (Gaspar Noé)

3. Lilja 4-ever (Lukas moodysson)

4. Time of the Wolf (michael haneke)

5. In This World (michael winterbottom)

6. Tarnation (jonathan caouette)

7. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Peter Jackson)

8. The Five Obstructions (Jørgen Leth & Lars von trier)

9. The Passion of the Christ (mel gibson)

But then I don't want to complete it, because at this point I feel like I'm losing a vital organ or lopping off one of my children's heads...

3-Iron (Ki-duk Kim)

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu) [Edit: This should replace something in the Top 9, or be #10]

Adam's Apples (Anders Thomas Jensen)

Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)

A Very Long Engagement (jean-pierre jeunet)

Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (Zacharias Kunuk)

The Barbarian Invasions (Denys Arcand)

The Black Dahlia (Brian De Palma)

Born Into Brothels (zana briski & ross kauffman)

Bus 174 (felipe Lacerda and José Padilha)

Code Unknown (michael haneke)

Crash (paul haggis)

The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan)

Day and Night (simon staho)

The Departed (Martin Scorsese)

Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly)

Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary (guy maddin)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (michel gondry)

Garden State (zach braff)

Head-On (Fatih Akin)

House of Flying Daggers (yimou zhang)

House of Sand and Fog (Vadim Perelman)

In My Skin (marina de van)

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)

The Isle (Ki-duk Kim )

I Stand Alone (Gaspar Noé) [edit: OUCH! 1999, oops]

Kill Bill (Quentin Tarantino)

Kontroll (Nimród Antal)

La Moustache (Emmanuel Carrère) [Edit: Added later]

The Maid (Sebastián Silva) [Edit: Added later]

Man on Wire (James Marsh)

The Man Without a Past (Aki Kaurismäki) [Edit: Added later]

Maria Full of Grace (joshua marston)

Mean Creek (jacob aaron estes)

Mysterious Skin (gregg araki)

No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)

Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro)

[Rec] (Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza)

Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky)

The Return (Andrei Zvyagintsev) [Edit: Added later]

The Son (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne) [Edit: Added later]

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Ki-duk Kim)

Them (David Moreau and Xavier Palud)

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Thirteen (catherine hardwicke)

Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow (theo angelopoulos)

Vinyan (Fabrice Du Welz) [Edit: Added later]

Whale Rider (Niki Caro) [Edit: Added later]

I know as well that I'm missing a few, so like Jeffrey, I may edit this in the future, or simply list the ten if I can ever whittle it down.

I do find it interesting that I was so afraid of leaving out a personal favorite that I simply included all of the films from the Lord of the Rings trilogy into one entry.... I also find it interesting about myself that two of the films in my Top 9 are about filmmaking itself.

I'm going to turn 40 in April -- perhaps I should celebrate by lessening the pain and making this sucker into a Top 40 list...

Edited by Persona

So, let's go head and say that <i>Beau travail</i> counts as a 2000 film even though it showed at TIFF in 1999. Seems fair, right?

<!--quoteo(post=205499:date=Oct 8 2009, 10:41 AM:name=Persona)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Persona @ Oct 8 2009, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=205499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm having a really hard time with this list. I believe I know the first eight or nine that will be on there for certain:

1. <b>Dogville</b> (Lars von trier)

2. <b>Irr�versible</b> (Gaspar No�)

3. <b>Lilja 4-ever </b>(Lukas moodysson)

4. <b>Time of the Wolf </b>(michael haneke)

5. <b>In This World </b>(michael winterbottom)

6. <b>Tarnation</b> (jonathan caouette)

7. <b>Lord of the Rings Trilogy </b>(Peter Jackson)

8. <b>The Five Obstructions </b>(j�rgen Leth & Lars von trier)

9. <b>The Passion of the Christ </b>(mel gibson)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am pretty close to agreeing on <i>Dogville</i>. If I were making a list of the 10 most important films of the decade, it would be on there. I just don't think it has resonated with me as much as 10 other films. As far as Noe is concerned, same thing. It is tough to pick a Haneke, isn't it? What it boils down to for me is the final two scenes in <i>Wolfzeit</i> and <i>Code Unknown</i> . But even then, I can't decide. Both haunt me (and then, I think Heartbeat Detector outdoes Code Unknown at the end). Winterbottom Schminterbottom. Be a man and pick <i>9 Songs</i>.

<i>Five Obstructions</i> is an interesting choice. Neato list, Stef.

Edited by M. Leary

Yeah, Stef really brought it, puttin' The Black Dahlia among his finalists. I briefly considered adding that to my own Top 10. Were it a Top 15 list ...

Personally, I thought THE BLACK DAHLIA was a bit of a disaster. I'm surprised anyone would think highly of it.

You are not alone in your opinion. That's why it's so great to discover another member of our merry band!

Personally, I thought THE BLACK DAHLIA was a bit of a disaster. I'm surprised anyone would think highly of it.

You are not alone in your opinion. That's why it's so great to discover another member of our merry band!

No way I'd see it making a "top 10 of the decade" list, but it was a high quality, rather old school film. Good performances by the whole cast all around. I'd already read the book along with the whole L.A. Quartet years ago, and thought the film did a good job capturing the spirit of the work (making a good companion film to go with L.A. Confidential).

Ditto on the whole masterpiece bit. Not only is it De Palma's most fully realized film, but it it is pure Ellroy as well. A bravura top ten pick.

If The Black Dahlia is one of my considerations, I can't believe I forgot Whale Rider, which was beautifully acted and totally choked me up. Not just once either, it choked me up on repeated viewings. Which, of course, we all know -- the "choking up factor" is the greatest reason to enter a film in a Top Anything List.

Cool reactions to The Black Dahlia though. Most who know me well know that I probably don't think as much nor am I as eloquent as other members of A&F, and while I really admire and respect the thinking that goes into other people's choices, I am more of a bleeding heart and have probably begun to compile a list based mostly on my strongest emotional responses in the past decade. If I were to take the days of time it would take, I could probably develop another list in which there were a whole lot more at work than my own subjective reaction. But I'm a bit of a sissy-boy, no big deal, and as I look back over the past decade I see a great wealth of movies that have really turned this cynic into an old blubbering softy.

And FWIW -- The Black Dahlia brought great emotional response from me. I was horrified and had the images in my head for days (much like Irr

Edited by Persona