Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Top Ten of the Decade

YOU WOULD THINK ALL THE BLACK DAHLIA HATERS WOULD JUST GET OVER IT AND PICK ON MY GARDEN STATE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

O.K..... (please take this with all the humor that is intended) :D

From the recent SPIKE TV list - The Top 10 Movies Douchebags Love

#9. Garden State Any heterosexual male who openly and proudly confesses to liking or, dare I say, loving, Garden State needs to get into a twelve-step program for douchebags, stat. Step one is admitting you

LOL, love it.

Who you callin' douchebag, punk? I am nothing if not a sensitive, deeply emotional man. :)

PTC:

: FWIW, vjmorton's picks, in alphabetical order:

Speaking of Victor's Skandies' decade ballot (which is pretty awesome -- no surprise, since his cinematic tastes and mine correlate strongly), here's the current results from the slooooow reveal of their best-of-decade picks:

Films:

10. No Country for Old Men

11. Before Sunset

12. Silent Light

13. Kill Bill, Vol. 1

14. Werckmeister Harmonies

15. Irreversible

16. Zodiac

17. Ghost World

18. The Man Who Wasn't There

19. Trouble Every Day

20. Gerry

Perfs:

9. Mathieu Amalric, Kings and Queen

10. Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York

11. Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

12. Christian Bale, American Psycho

13. Billy Bob Thornton, The Man Who Wasn't There

14. Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

15. Laura Linney, You Can Count on Me

16. Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

17. Q'orianka Kilcher, The New World

18. Julianne Moore, Far From Heaven

19. Peter Sarsgaard, Shattered Glass

20. Aurélien Recoing, Time Out

I gave Garden State a C- when it came out. Good job, me.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

What's a perf? And why don't the numbers go from 1 to 10 or 10 to 1 or ABC or ZYX or etc etc?

And who grades films with a letter, anyway?

What's a perf?

Perfume. The best use of Smell-O-Vision in 2000s film.

And why don't the numbers go from 1 to 10 or 10 to 1 or ABC or ZYX or etc etc?

Mike D'Angelo is still in the middle of sloooowly announcing them -- no. 9 performance today, no. 9 film tomorrow, no. 8 performance Thursday, etc. I like the idea, actually; it gives you a chance to think a little more in-depth about each of the winners.

And who grades films with a letter, anyway?

Awesome people. See also SDG, although he covers all his bases...

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Ushpizin, Amelie, Lazarescu, La Pianiste?

Dogme films? Garden State ...

Getting a little artsy now, aren't we? After all this discussion, my list seems so ... uh ... uncouth. Maybe if I was French it would be different.

Getting a little artsy now, aren't we? After all this discussion, my list seems so ... uh ... uncouth. Maybe if I was French it would be different.

Don't worry about it. It is what it is.

And Besides, I have yet to add all my favorite artsy Barbie films... :)

Don't worry about it. It is what it is.

And Besides, I have yet to add all my favorite artsy Barbie films... :)

Oh man, I was just getting ready to post a list and then Stef went and used the phrase, "It is what it is." Talk about a visceral impact.

Dud, I'm sorry. I couldn't think of an easier, faster way to say it. Now post.

Dud, I'm sorry. I couldn't think of an easier, faster way to say it. Now post.

The problem is that it doesn't say anything ;) And why did you call me "Dud"? List forthcoming...

haha, now you people know why it always says EDIT whenever I post, it's cuz I write things like "dud" instead of "dude" :)

Ok, so my tentative list looks a little like this: (however, it is still a rough)

Tape

Dogville

Celebration

Donnie Darko

Hell House

The Return

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Sunshine

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Brand Upon the Brain

More Shoes

Lars and the Real Girl

Pan’s Labyrinth

The Gleaner’s and I

Irreversible

Absent some major surprise, the final results from the Skandies:

Films:

1: Dogville

2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

3: In the Mood for Love

4: Mulholland Dr.

5: There Will Be Blood

6: The New World

7: Memento

8: 25th Hour

9: Yi Yi

10. No Country for Old Men

11. Before Sunset

12. Silent Light

13. Kill Bill, Vol. 1

14. Werckmeister Harmonies

15. Irreversible

16. Zodiac

17. Ghost World

18. The Man Who Wasn't There

19. Trouble Every Day

20. Gerry

Perfs:

1. Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

2. Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain

3. Naomi Watts, Mulholland Dr.

4. Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake

5. Isabelle Huppert, The Piano Teacher

6. Summer Phoenix, Esther Kahn

7. Björk, Dancer in the Dark

8. Laura Dern, Inland Empire

9. Mathieu Amalric, Kings and Queen

10. Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York

11. Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

12. Christian Bale, American Psycho

13. Billy Bob Thornton, The Man Who Wasn't There

14. Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

15. Laura Linney, You Can Count on Me

16. Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

17. Q'orianka Kilcher, The New World

18. Julianne Moore, Far From Heaven

19. Peter Sarsgaard, Shattered Glass

20. Aurélien Recoing, Time Out

It's funny to see numbers 5 and 10, and to think about how some critics pitted those two films against each other in year-end balloting a few years ago. I mentioned elsewhere on this board that this has been on my mind because of recent conversation I had with a fellow critic who contended TWBB was far better than NCFOM. No contest! I took the opposing view. I have problems with TWBB that have lingered through subsequent viewings, whereas NCFOM just gets better and better.

But I don't think TWBB is a bad film, and I certainly find it compelling in stretches. I simply can't understand why some TWBB fans have a distaste for NCFOM, which, I guess, was too straightforward in its storytelling, not cryptic enough. Something like that. Many critics who I love to read are huge fans of TWBB, and The New World, as well. I'm not a fan of the latter, have fewer reservations about the former, but don't feel the need to argue with folks who find those movies profound. I'm fine with seeing all of them on a best-of-decade list, even though only one of the titles might make mine, and if TWBB were to edge in, it would be number 10 while NCFOM would be number 5.

Anyway, I imagine some folks might get upset to see both films on the same list. Not me. But maybe I'm just imagining a dispute based on limited evidence.

Edited by Christian

I simply can't understand why some TWBB fans have a distaste for NCFOM, which, I guess, was too straightforward in its storytelling, not cryptic enough. Something like that.

I prefer THERE WILL BE BLOOD to NO COUNTRY, but not at all because NO COUNTRY is somehow too straightforward or isn't somehow "cryptic enough." NO COUNTRY has some serious structural flaws that prevent it from fully taking flight, almost all of which are a result of adhering too closely to the source material. The source material was already fairly imperfect--NO COUNTRY is almost certainly one of McCarthy's lesser novels--and the film only compounded some of those issues. And, for what it's worth, I find Bardem's Chigurh a poorly-constructed character, both in performance and presentation, trussed up with his monotone voice and Little Lord Fauntleroy haircut and his ludicrous choice of weapon. He's a silly fantasy character who is ultimately more ridiculous than threatening, and the film never has the good sense to treat the character with some real humor (like say, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS does with Hannibal Lecter). If the Coens wanted to be so grim and straight-faced about things, they needed to tone him down.

Also, it's my conviction that THERE WILL BE BLOOD's aesthetic features impress more than NO COUNTRY's. Not that I mean to suggest NO COUNTRY doesn't offer its own pleasures on that front, but I don't think the films are quite operating on the same level. If we were comparing THERE WILL BE BLOOD to BARTON FINK, then things would be different.

Many critics who I love to read are huge fans of TWBB, and The New World, as well.

To say I adore THERE WILL BE BLOOD would be an understatement, but I don't at all care for THE NEW WORLD.

Edited by Ryan H.

Anyway, I imagine some folks might get upset to see both films on the same list. Not me. But maybe I'm just imagining a dispute based on limited evidence.

I don't think so. There was a rivalry there due to each of the film's end-of-the-year release dates, as well as their nom at Best Pic and Best Director. As I remember it, it was fairly obvious it was going to be one or the other. Didn't NCFOM get both? I think it did. Which didn't disappoint me for NCFOM, but still did disappoint me for TWBB, as I happen to be a huge fan of both. (They were both in contention for my #10 Spot.)

To say I adore THERE WILL BE BLOOD would be an understatement, but I don't at all care for THE NEW WORLD.

Yeah, me too. But let's keep it on the down-low. The walls have ears, and TNW has some BIG fans at A&F.

Persona wrote:

: There was a rivalry there due to each of the film's end-of-the-year release dates, as well as their nom at Best Pic and Best Director.

I believe they had one other thing in common, too: they were both the result of a collaboration between Scott Rudin, Miramax and Paramount Vantage. I believe Scott Rudin is the only one of these three entities that still exists.

Persona wrote:

: There was a rivalry there due to each of the film's end-of-the-year release dates, as well as their nom at Best Pic and Best Director.

I believe they had one other thing in common, too: they were both the result of a collaboration between Scott Rudin, Miramax and Paramount Vantage. I believe Scott Rudin is the only one of these three entities that still exists.

Both films shot on location in the town of Marfa, TX.

Hmmmm I would definitely rate 'American Splendor' above 'Ghost World'. In fact, I would rate it enough that it would make my top ten.

I must admit I'm a little freaked out by that 'Skandies' list (whatever the hell 'Skandies' is...) as it contains a whole bunch of stuff that I thought was pre-2000. I'm really rubbish at this year malarky. Out of those, I can understand why they chose Mulholland Drive & There Will Be Blood and, depending on how I'm feeling, In the Mood for Love. You could even say that I'd have to be in the mood for In the Mood for Love. *sigh* Sorry. However, I ain't convinced that I would include them on my top ten. Must admit, despite owning the dvd, I still haven't seen Werkmeister Harmonies.

Edited by gigi

Tricky task. These are the ones that come to mind at the moment (some of which are solid choices):

The Son (solid)

Lantana

The Dark Knight (solid)

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Finding Nemo

4 months, 3 weeks & 2 days (solid)

The Pianist

Once

Spirited Away (solid)

The Passion of the Christ (solid)

Touching the Void

If I think of others, or I have a slightly downgraded opinion of any of these films I will do some editing!:)

Edited by Benchwarmer

Touching the Void is a highly underrated documentary. I had considered it for my list as well.

My top ten plus some honorable mentions.

1. Yi Yi - Yang (2000)

2. Inland Empire - Lynch (2006)

3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Gondry (2004)

4. In the Mood For Love - Wong (2000)

5. Ghost World - Zwigoff (2001)

6. Sideways - Payne (2004)

7. All the Real Girls - Green (2003)

8. Michael Clayton - Gilroy (2007)

9. Distant - Ceylon (2002)

10. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Dominik (2007)

Honorable Mentions:

Encounters at the End of the World - Herzog (2007)

Grizzly Man - Herzog (2005)

High Fidelity - Frears (2000)

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou - Anderson (2004)

Lost in Translation - Coppola (2003)

Paranoid Park - Van Sant (2007)

Songs From the Second Floor - Andersson (2000)

Still Walking - Kore-Eda (2008)

Talk to Her - Almodovar (2002)

Thirteen Conversations About One Thing - Sprecher (2001)

The Return - Zvyagintsev (2003)

Werckmeister Harmonies - Tarr (2000)

The World - Zhang Ke Jia (2004)

Zodiac - Fincher (2007)

Excepting Thirteen Conversations, that is a very compelling list. I am having a very hard time deciding between Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic. What tipped the balance for you?