Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Top Ten of the Decade

Excepting Thirteen Conversations, that is a very compelling list.

You don't like THIRTEEN CONVERSATIONS? (I like it, but don't love it.)

At any rate, I agree that the list is compelling, even though my list and his only overlap at a few points. One film does strike me as undeserving of appearing among films of such a fine caliber: MICHAEL CLAYTON.

Yes! YiYi tops a list! Distant! All the Real Girls! I considered these too, and the Ceylan film may be part of my film seminar on contemplative cinema this summer.

Michael Clayton would by on my list of most aggravating movies of the decade. I recently heard someone describe it as an elaborate buildup to a big F-you. That's the movie I saw. Didn't buy Swinton's character. Thought Wilkinson entered the Sean Penn territory of overacting. Liked the implications of the film's fantasy element... until it was reduced to a trivial way of leading a character to a practical clue. Oh, never mind... we have a thread for it somewhere.

Edited by Overstreet

Paste's aughts list and a whole lot of discussion of Paste's aughts list v. the Skandies v. Dogville (starting maybe halfway down).

And Michael Clayton would probably be on my second ten of the decade.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

There are several films in the 20s that should be much higher.

As for number 1, I've never much cared for that film. I know others find it impressive, but Best of Decade impressive?

Excepting Thirteen Conversations, that is a very compelling list.

You don't like THIRTEEN CONVERSATIONS? (I like it, but don't love it.)

At any rate, I agree that the list is compelling, even though my list and his only overlap at a few points. One film does strike me as undeserving of appearing among films of such a fine caliber: MICHAEL CLAYTON.

Here's something I wrote on the film - I posted it in the thread on the movie:

http://ArtsAndFaith.com/index.php?showtopic=17068&view=findpost&p=207703

Edited by TBeane

Excepting Thirteen Conversations, that is a very compelling list. I am having a very hard time deciding between Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic. What tipped the balance for you?

Sorry you're going to get a longer response than you probably want, but I wrote up a review a couple years back that addresses your question. I posted it here:

http://ArtsAndFaith.com/index.php?showtopic=2782&view=findpost&p=207704

Edited by TBeane

Reading this makes me wonder if now that we've had some practice amongst ourselves, I wonder whether we should create an A&F poll of the Top 10 (or 50, or whatever) films of the decade.

I'd volunteer but I don't know how to do it.

Reading this makes me wonder if now that we've had some practice amongst ourselves, I wonder whether we should create an A&F poll of the Top 10 (or 50, or whatever) films of the decade.

That would be fun.

If only we could figure out how to do it.

Sight and Sound-style would probably be the easiest way. We'd all submit a top 10--as we've already done--and then tally they by most common appearances on lists. The 10 films we most agree upon would then be, in effect, our top 10. But it's not particularly fun methodology for such a poll, nor does it allow for any "weight." I may submit 10 films, but I certainly feel more strongly about some of them than others, and I'd like that to be reflected in my voting.

So, perhaps, we can all submit a top 10, each ranked 1-10. The number of the ranking would then equal the number of points the film has scored. Tally up the points in the end, and then, viola--top 10 highest scores are the ones we select. And of that top 10, I suppose we could then put run-off voting into effect to select the "number one" film of the decade.

Edited by Ryan H.

I am down with that.

The 10 films we most agree upon would then be, in effect, our top 10.

Excluding Inglourious Basterds, which is ruled out right from the start.

Because I said so.

You're OK with that, aren't you? ;)

Because I said so.

I'm so angry I could beat you to death with a baseball bat.

Because I said so.

I'm so angry I could beat you to death with a baseball bat.

Ryan, you are one of the newbies that is making me proud.

Sight and Sound-style would probably be the easiest way. We'd all submit a top 10--as we've already done--and then tally they by most common appearances on lists. The 10 films we most agree upon would then be, in effect, our top 10. But it's not particularly fun methodology for such a poll, nor does it allow for any "weight." I may submit 10 films, but I certainly feel more strongly about some of them than others, and I'd like that to be reflected in my voting.

So, perhaps, we can all submit a top 10, each ranked 1-10. The number of the ranking would then equal the number of points the film has scored. Tally up the points in the end, and then, viola--top 10 highest scores are the ones we select. And of that top 10, I suppose we could then put run-off voting into effect to select the "number one" film of the decade.

In theory, I kind of like it. But I'm not sure. I've lost a LOT of football pools over the years like this...

Edited by Persona

I'm in favor of a Jop & Pazz-style scoring system (also used in the Skandies), where each voter can allot 100 points among 10 films in any manner they see fit as long as (a) no film gets more than 30 points and (B) no film gets fewer than 5 points. The beauty of the system is that people can give 10 points to each film, or 30 points to two films and 5 points to eight, or any combination therein. The downside is it gets a little bit complex for some.

Anyway, I'm happy to collect and add up responses if no one else is...

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I'm in favor of a Jop & Pazz-style scoring system (also used in the Skandies), where each voter can allot 100 points among 10 films in any manner they see fit as long as (a) no film gets more than 30 points and (B) no film gets fewer than 5 points. The beauty of the system is that people can give 10 points to each film, or 30 points to two films and 5 points to eight, or any combination therein. The downside is it gets a little bit complex for some.

Dale

What if I want to give 30 points to 3 films and then 1 each to ten? That would be 13 films. I don't like your system.

What if I want to give 30 points to 3 films and then 1 each to ten? That would be 13 films. I don't like your system.

Also, what if you want to give 500 points each to 795 films, plus 497 points to another 12?

Dale

Dale

Oh, I really like that system.

Also, what if you want to give 500 points each to 795 films, plus 497 points to another 12?

Dale

I'm not doing the math on that. This is why you are in charge.

Mods, maybe we should split this discussion (of an A&F best-of-decade poll) off into a new topic.

Dale

Dale

Yes. This is better than your last system. Which I am pretty sure is somehow secretly slanted towards Mike Leigh. Which, of course, is fine as long as everyone votes for All or Nothing. Make it work, people.