Sign in to follow this  
Andy Whitman

Mumford & Sons

I have a suspicion that Mumford & Sons is getting more criticism now than before simply because they became popular. It's as if our society has some sort of assumption that, in order to be popular, musicians need to achieve some higher objective standard of musical talent. What a crazy, antiquated assumption.

You may be right. But since more people have heard of them because of this popularity, wouldn't more people be critical of them? (And yes, it is a silly assumption, and I think a lot of people do it without realizing it.)

(I'm also kind of surprised you listened to a pop album!)

Edited by Jason Panella

Honestly, I've stated before that I don't mind repetitiveness. Hence my enjoyment of many post rock bands, and blues music. The thing I don't like about the new Mumford and Sons is nothing stands out, it feels like they weren't even trying.

I've noticed a lot of people compare Mumford & Sons to the Avett Brothers. I would one day like to see someone compare and contrast them with Woven Hand - although Woven Hand's music is not really "folk" (16 Horsepower's music fit better in that genre) both bands deal with spiritual angst.

Whatever you think of Mumford's music, you have to agree they win the internet today.

Does this get them kicked out of the "New Sincerity"?

Edited by Tyler

Never thought I'd enjoy an M&S video, but that one was surely worth a chuckle. 

Methinks Mr. Schmitz at First Things is trying too hard. 

It's as if our society has some sort of assumption that, in order to be popular, musicians need to achieve some higher objective standard of musical talent.

In popular music, there's more emphasis on accessibility and showmanship. To be sure, it takes a kind of talent to discern which musical elements will have the most mass appeal, and to present those elements in such a catchy fashion that most people won't notice how simplistic they are ... but that's not the same as musical talent. 

As with David Bazan, I find M&S's music so dull that I won't even bother myself about the lyrics. 

Honestly, I've stated before that I don't mind repetitiveness.

How's that again?

Edited by mrmando

I don't know much about this band other than what I've heard on the radio and read in this thread, but that video was pretty funny.

Who knows how reliable this interview is, but it appears that the Mumford haters will no longer have to wring their hands over the band's derivative brand of banjo rock. The band is no more.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/mumford-sons-winston-marshall-hates-banjos.html

Now they're saying it was a joke.

Edited by Tyler

???? Rolling Stone says this about the new Mumford and Sons album, called Wilder Mind and coming May 5: Mumford & Sons have mostly removed their signature elements – banjo, acoustic strumming, stomping kick drum – and replaced them with U2-sized guitars, synths, spacey mellotrons and even some drum machines. 

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/mumford-sons-talk-going-electric-on-new-album-wilder-mind-20150302#ixzz3TFtSb39F 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Have to say I love the new sound, but hey I am a sucker for Coldplay. This is the best song Coldplay have never released. No one would guess who this was if it was played on the radio. Be interesting to see and hear the reaction from long term fans. This is a total re-invention. Quoting Radiohead and Led Zeppelin as influences. Loved it and will follow with interest as the new album approaches.

Second single "The Wolf."  This one sounds more stylistically similar to their earlier stuff to me, except now the acoustic instruments have been replaced by electric ones.