Sign in to follow this  
opus

Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

I've updated my post with another couple of pictures of Bale in some sort of (Egyptian? Hebrew?) armour.

Also, a Facebook friend notes that the first "official" photo features a giant monumental face -- just like some of the early images from Prometheus. This has prompted a few jokes about Moses "parting the Black Goo", etc.

Guy Pierce appears as an ancestor of Weyland.

I remember when Dreamworks did test screenings of The Prince of Egypt and the voice of God in the burning bush was this strange, otherworldly mesh of both male and female voices. That was too "unconventional" for some, and so the voice was changed to sound more male.

Val Kilmer voiced both Moses and God in Prince of Egypt, I believe, the suggestion being that God's voice sounds like the voice inside our heads. I was not a fan of how they did the burning bush scene - I rather wish it had been more "ordinary" and not quite so "magical" - but I feel their answer to God's voice was a good one.

I remember hearing about the mesh of male and female voices in The Prince of Egypt, too. Getting the actor who plays Moses to provide the voice of God is certainly more conventional: Charlton Heston did it in The Ten Commandments, and so did Burt Lancaster in Moses the Lawgiver.

But I suspect the issue with regard to Ridley Scott's film has less to do with technical details like that and more to do with the role God plays within the *story*.

Getting the actor who plays Moses to provide the voice of God is certainly more conventional: Charlton Heston did it in The Ten Commandments, and so did Burt Lancaster in Moses the Lawgiver.

I've heard this before about The Ten Commandments, but IMDb says the voice of God in that film was done by Donald Hayne.

Edited by Rushmore

Actually, the IMDb paints a more complicated picture:

Considerable controversy exists over who supplied the voice of God for the film, for which no on-screen credit is given. The voice used was heavily modified and mixed with other sound effects, making identification extremely difficult. Various people have either claimed or been rumored to have supplied the voice: Cecil B. DeMille himself (he narrated the film), Charlton Heston and Delos Jewkes, to name a few. DeMille's publicist and biographer Donald Hayne maintains that Heston provided the voice of God at the burning bush, but he himself provided the voice of God giving the commandments. In the 2004 DVD release, Heston in an interview admitted that he was the voice of God.

I find myself wondering... what will this movie be rated?

The typical Bible movie these days gets rated PG-13 (King David, The Gospel of John, Son of God, Noah) or R (The Last Temptation of Christ, The Passion of the Christ), usually because of the violent content. Even films that were made in the '50s or '60s, before the ratings system existed, will get a PG-13 rating nowadays if they are submitted for a rating for home-video purposes (e.g. 1961's King of Kings). The only exceptions I can think of are films that are clearly aimed at kids (The Prince of Egypt, The Nativity Story).

Ridley Scott has directed 21 feature films, prior to Exodus. Of those films, 14 (a solid two-thirds of his filmography) are rated R -- including the historical epics that are Exodus's most obvious precursors (Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven). On the other hand, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Robin Hood were rated PG-13.

Does the fact that Exodus comes out just in time for Christmas have any bearing here? Would Scott or the studio play things more family-friendly because of that?

Lots of new photos today. Also, the trailer for the film -- 90 seconds or 96 seconds depending on who's talking -- was approved by a few Canadian provinces last week, so I can only assume we'll see it soon. Maybe attached to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which is *also* a 20th Century Fox film that is kind-of sort-of a remake of a Charlton Heston movie?

Mosimus.

*I'm by no means the first person to think of that*

It's better than my version: Maximoses.

My shot-by-shot analysis of the trailer. Lots and lots of horses. And why does the trailer use a few lines from the Simple Minds song 'Belfast Child'? (Incidentally, does anyone know who's actually *singing* the version of the song that we hear in this trailer?)

I thought the use of "Belfast Child" was interesting as well. The melody is actually an old traditional Irish song "She Moved Through the Fair," but yeah, the lyrics are Simple Minds. It sort of worked for the trailer since the words actually cut off before the chorus. Hearing the world "Belfast" in a trailer about ancient Egypt would be odd, to say the least.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know who is singing on this version.

Five months to the film's December 12 release date...

One of the stranger bits of news to pop up with regard to this film is this item from Albawabh News (translated via Google), dated June 16:

The completion of the film Exodus: Gods and Kings in Egypt

The day ended filming the final scene of the movie "Exodus: Gods and Kings" in the city of Aswan, which embodies the story of the prophet Moses, peace be upon him, which is directed by film director Ridley Scott.

The general director of the temples of Abu Simbel, Nubia Ahmed Saleh, he continued film-makers during filming inside the archaeological sites, where he was careful to not be likened to the mummy of Ramses II between Pharaoh and Moses, because if it happened would have been arrested immediately imaging.

He added that Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim, Minister of effects following the Task Force during the film shooting inside the archaeological sites in Aswan, stressing that in case of any analogy between King Ramses II between Pharaoh and Moses are to stop filming immediately.

It's been clear all along that Joel Edgerton is playing Ramses II, and I can't imagine why the modern Egyptian state would care about the depiction of a pagan king from over 3,000 years ago. (You'd think the depiction of Moses, an actual *prophet* from the Muslim POV, would be a bigger concern.) Anyone have any idea what might have been going on there?

New photos. Why *is* Moses so physically imposing, even threatening, in this film?

In other news, the IMDb indicates Alberto Iglesias has been tapped to write the music for this film. Iglesias has scored all of Pedro Almodovar's feature films since 1995's The Flower of My Secret, and he has been nominated for Oscars three times for his work on The Constant Gardener (2006), The Kite Runner (2008) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2012). His other credits include Steven Soderbergh's Che (2008).

New photos. Why *is* Moses so physically imposing, even threatening, in this film?

Because Scott sees religion as barbaric?

As I said on FB, Iglesias is a wonderful pick for this film. He's one of the few genuinely talented film composers out there right now.

Edited by Ryan H.

Because Scott sees religion as barbaric?

My guess was that physically imposing is Scott's default for historical epics. Then again, I don't remember how physically imposing Orlando Bloom was in Kingdom of Heaven

Edited by NBooth