Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Worst Films of the Decade

So assuming that Matt is correct and that Peter is thinking what Christian is thinking, and that Christian is in fact talking about the film Matt seems intent on believing he's talking about... what does that have to do with the worst films from last decade?!

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

So assuming that Matt is correct and that Peter is thinking what Christian is thinking, and that Christian is in fact talking about the film Matt seems intent on believing he's talking about... what does that have to do with the worst films from last decade?!

Perhaps they're looking ahead to the next decade's list.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Perhaps they're looking ahead to the next decade's list.

Well aren't you assuming this? Where does that idea come from, on what basis do you hold that position?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I can help you find the answers you're looking for, Stef ... but only in person ... you'll have to pay me $29.95 and stare into my crystal ball ...

Seriously, when I go to the multiplex and see people carrying their toddlers in and out of violent R-rated flicks, I am no longer sure what "family film" is supposed to mean. Perhaps Rango is a dysfunctional family film. Like The Simpsons Movie.

The multiplex nearest my house has recently been converted into an adult theatre 21-and-over cinema/pub establishment offering cebos, cervezas y celuloide. But they still show Harry Potter movies...

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Yes, I was thinking of Rango. But keep in mind that my critique is couched in terms of who the movie is aimed at, and as Peter hinted, if you don't go blindly into it thinking it's something it's not, there's a lot to enjoy in the film. Like Babe: Pig in the City, this is a film that many critics will/do adore (I wasn't one of the adorers of the Babe sequel). But after a rocky start, Rango becomes something quite special. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the story, but the visual inventiveness is often wonderful. How it will hold up on repeat viewings remains to be seen.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I just watched the Biskind documentary for the umpteenth tie].

I'm watching Easy Riders, Raging Bulls for the first time -- one of my video-store closing-sale acquisitions -- and came here to find a thread on it. I was alarmed when the only hit was here in the "Worst Films of the Decade" thread, but after reading Mike's post a few times, I'm confident that he didn't mean to place this documentary among the decade's worst. Why else would he watch it umpteen times? :)

I'm a half-hour into it, and am struck by the overlap with Mark Harris' Pictures at a Revolution, which also deals with the development, production and distribution of Bonnie and Clyde.

Now it's on to Peckinpah. Rock!

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It simply fueled a Dogville/Jaws comparison for the purposes of this thread. I still stand by that comparison. Easy Riders is a great watch. I miss the days it played on either IFC or Sundance about every other day.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Mike: Just curious if you saw Easy Riders, Raging Bulls on DVD, or just on cable. There's a second disc with the DVD release. I've watched about 30 minutes of it, and it seems to consist of the raw interview footage used for the movie. I'm not sure if the material is entirely stuff that doesn't appear in the main feature, or if it includes those comments plus more. I'm thinking the former.

There's some great stuff so far on the bonus disc, very revealing comments about which director preferred which type of drug, which director avoided drugs altogether, which preferred (too much) alcohol only. Sounds gossipy as I write this, but I was genuinely struck by the statements, thinking about the directors' visual styles and how these "enhancements" might have shaped what we have on screen.

I realize this isn't new ground -- it's been discussed in the past, sometimes by the main players in this story -- but the comments grabbed me anew while watching the supplemental material on the DVD release.

Edited by Christian

Stumbled on this thread while searching for another, and I have a couple films that need to be added or given additional mentions:

1. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

2. The Cat in the Hat  (saw 10 minutes of The Grinch and shut it off)

3. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

4. All those dreadful Disney films with Anne Hathaway

5. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

6. Happy Feet (manipulative politically correct propaganda, devoid of any humor or fun whatsoever)

7. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

8. Oldboy (I was so close to liking it, but Park crossed the line into exploitation for my sensibilities)

9. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

10. Black Swan (it's not a cautionary tale if Nina is already losing it from the very first scene of the film)

Admittedly, two of those films I loathe substantially more than the others.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Stumbled on this thread while searching for another, and I have a couple films that need to be added or given additional mentions:

1. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

2. The Cat in the Hat  (saw 10 minutes of The Grinch and shut it off)

3. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

4. All those dreadful Disney films with Anne Hathaway

5. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

6. Happy Feet (manipulative politically correct propaganda, devoid of any humor or fun whatsoever)

7. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

8. Oldboy (I was so close to liking it, but Park crossed the line into exploitation for my sensibilities)

9. August Rush and Mamma Mia!

10. Black Swan (it's not a cautionary tale if Nina is already losing it from the very first scene of the film)

Admittedly, two of those films I loathe substantially more than the others.

It was annoyingly cloying from the beginning, but I finally had enough when they mangled Michael Hedges' brilliant composition Ritual Dance.  For years I've wanted to see a film use his music in some inspired way.  Needless to say, this wasn't it.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

It [August Rush] was annoyingly cloying from the beginning, but I finally had enough when they mangled Michael Hedges' brilliant composition Ritual Dance.  For years I've wanted to see a film use his music in some inspired way.  Needless to say, this wasn't it.

Yeah, the manipulative cloying uber-predictable story, the insultingly inaccurate portrayal of musicians as people who magically pick up any instrument and can play it perfectly with no practice, the mangled use of all music throughout the film, the belief that prodigy means doing everything perfectly on the first attempt, the lousy vapid performances, the mangling of Oliver Twist, the erroneous depictions of composition and use of instruments, the absurdly farfetched premise.

I don't think there's any movie I hate quite as much as August Rush. (Although Mamma Mia! comes very close.)

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro