The current annoying song going through your head.

M. Dale Prins

Topic title self-explanatory and sadistic enough. Inspired by the shocking, sudden mental onset of this song, which I probably hadn't heard for a decade until today. My first thought: What happened to the "Boy, you must be crazy" sample?

This was going through my head earlier this week -- not annoying to me, but since it's probably so to half the people reading this thread, I'm gonna count it.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

by The Shaggs. Appropriate for today I guess.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

With all those unintentional polyrhythms, I think it's literally impossible for a The Shaggs song to get stuck in my head.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

It happens every year. I'm not kidding. I don't really hear the rhythms in my head, just more like their voices over and over: "It's halloween it's Halloween it's Halloween..."

There was a period of a few days last week when I wanted to sing nursery rhymes to my kids, but I couldn't, because I couldn't get the song below out of my head -- thanks to some movie blogger somewhere who referenced it.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

9-1-1 !

Hilarious.

It ain't annoying but I've been singing Van Morrison's Ballerina to myself for a good month now. I sing to myself a lot and it just keeps coming out. I like to think that it's a harbinger of good things coming.

On a similar Halloween slant - that silver shamrock tune from Halloween III has been bugging me a lot. I like to think that it doesn't mean anything other than it's Halloween, or else I'll start getting spooked out!

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

The Mark and Brian radio show played a few seconds of a song produced for dogs called Squeaky Deaky that has driven me crazy since Thursday...

Enjoy!!!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The closing song to the PBS Kids show Super Why? "Hip, hip, Hooray!/the Super Readers have saved the day"

"We changed the story! We solved the problem! We worked together, so hip, hip, hooray!"

Grrr. I knew I shouldn't have created this thread.

Dale

I often have contemporary worship songs stuck in my brain for a couple days after the Sunday service. I know ... many of you will think that there are far worse problems. You think? Today's ear worm: "We are his portion

And he is our prize/Drawn to redemption by the grace in his eyes/If grace is an ocean we're all sinking." What? That's the good news? What's the bad news? This can sometimes be corrected by a couple songs from Robert Johnson.

I like to listen to Jarvis Cocker's 'C***s are still running the world' for that purpose.

For some reason the song fragment which has popped into my head the most times in the past decade is the 'hey-ey, sha la la, hey-eh, sha la la...' bit from 'Who's gonna ride your wild horses?'. I don't even like the song that much, it's dwarfed by the rest of the album, but that's the bit that sticks with me.

The latest Echo and the Bunnymen single. Please make it stop.

Oh, and on board with Operation Ear Worm. Will drop it at least once a day in different social situations for the foreseeable future.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

FWIW I think there is a hierarchy of ear worms. Some songs will always oust others that are going through your mind. Top of the pile (for me at least) is Britney's "hit me baby one more time".

Most of the time though replacing an exisiting ear worm with "Dur-n-n-nuh" is a bit drastic.

Matt

This was going through my head earlier this week -- not annoying to me, but since it's probably so to half the people reading this thread, I'm gonna count it.

Dale

My daughters, when they were 4 and 5, seized upon that one Danielson line and would scream it non-stop: "Into ze ground! Into ze ground!" Almost enough to make me put the CD away for awhile.

Current earworms:

Since the end of September until now; I've seen a play based on the original Carter Family (Keep On The Sunnyside), read the wonderful Carter Family biography (Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone), watched a PBS docu on the Carter Family, and d/l random Carter Family music. People at work would probably love for me to stop constantly murmuring "Chawing chewing gum, chewing chawing gum...chawing chewing gum, chewing chawing gum..."

I'd like to oblige them but I...can't.

I'm currently interning on a musical version of Flat Stanley. I've been doing this for two days and the only thing going through my head 24/7 is the theme song. We have a month to go before opening. I have warned my housemate that she may have to invest in earplugs.

It's driving me CRAZY.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

The Cranberries, "Zombie."

Few songs in the last 20 years have aggravated me more than this one.

"IT'S IN YOUR HEEEEEEEEAAAAD, IN YOUR HEEEEAAAAAAD..."

Yes it is. And I want it removed.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

it's the bit where she hiccups 'zom-bie-bie-bie' that really gets to me.

Da dat da dat

Da dat da dat

Elmo's World -- Elmo's world!

Da dat da dat

Da dat da dat

Elmo's World -- Elmo's world!

Elmo's got his goldfish and (indecipherable)

It's Elmo's Wooooooorld!

Currently, The La's "There She Goes" is stuck in my head. Except it's not annoying. It's wonderful. This might be the greatest three minutes of pop jangle ever.

I know I am in for a decent day if the theme song to The Adventures of Pete and Pete by Polaris pops up. That, or the elusive song from the episode Hard Day's Pete that Pete discovers is the "best song of all time," but immediately forgets. (And then spends the rest of the episode in an epic hunt for the song, which turns out to be "Summerbaby" by Polaris.)

(It is exactly the kind of tune you would expect from a kid's show that guest starred Michael Stipe, Iggy Pop, Chris Elliot, Marshall Crenshaw, Juliana Hatfield, Luscious Jackson, Kate Pierson, etc...)

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter