I've started my TOM WAITS education...

Josh Hurst

Heh. My board visits last, oh, about a minute or two max these days. I am drowning in deadlines, both at work and outside of work right now. I am so far behind on my in-depth music reviews that I'm starting to wonder if I need to change the format of Looking Closer entirely. Oh well....

Having listened to the Waits twice now, I'm not sure how this one will hold up with me. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I wish there had been a little more stylistic variation over the course of the album. But it's still as audacious as anything he's ever done.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Having listened to the Waits twice now, I'm not sure how this one will hold up with me. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I wish there had been a little more stylistic variation over the course of the album. But it's still as audacious as anything he's ever done.

Perhaps, but, frankly, I'd say the same thing about Bone Machine or Alice.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Well, I've been listening to this album quite a bit, and I actually think it may be my favorite of the Tom Waits recordings that I've heard.

Right now, I'd rank them:

1. Real Gone

2. Rain Dogs

3. Alice

4. Bone Machine

Very, very cool stuff. I love his mouth percussion, and this may be the most energetic recording I've heard from Mr. Waits.

A- seems like a fair rating.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

• 2 months later...

Now I'm starting my Tom Waits education, thanks to my brother, who last weekend started randomly raving about how great Waits is. (I never heard him talk about Waits before, and when he did I remembered this thread.)

He loaned me Waits' CD, "Frank's Wild Years: Un Operachi Romantico in Two Acts." I've listened to it once so far - at work, a sometimes deadly quiet and conservative office - prompting a co-worker to walk by and close my door! I liked what I heard. Volume was pretty low, and I haven't given it a closer listen yet, but I burned a copy for myself.

Wandering through this thread to find the next stop on my Waits journey, and wondering if you guys are familiar with and/or have thoughts on this particular CD.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Guest thom_jurek

Tom Waits: Top Three

1. Rain Dogs--It's PERFECT

2. Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night--Song for song, the best of his Warner era recordings

TIE: 3. Franks's Wild Years/ Bone Machine

Guest thom_jurek
Wow. I don't have Looking for the Heart of Saturday Night, but I *love* the others on your list, Thom, so I'll have to check that one out.

I wish I would have had room for Blue Valentine on there, Jeffrey, I like it a WHOLE LOT too...

• 2 months later...

Well, my introduction to Tom Waits (via Mule Variations) has been a smashing success. I think I can say that I like all the styles portrayed, from the dirty blues of 'Cold Water' and 'Get Behind the Mule' to the quirkiness of 'Eyeball Kid' and 'Big in Japan'. But what I'm really interested in more of is the bar-piano sound of 'Hold On' or 'Take it With Me'. Which album should I head towards?

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Well, my introduction to Tom Waits (via Mule Variations) has been a smashing success. I think I can say that I like all the styles portrayed, from the dirty blues of 'Cold Water' and 'Get Behind the Mule' to the quirkiness of 'Eyeball Kid' and 'Big in Japan'. But what I'm really interested in more of is the bar-piano sound of 'Hold On' or 'Take it With Me'. Which album should I head towards?

Well, most of his pre-Swordfishtrombones material would fit under that stylistic heading, but, frankly, I'm not too fond of any of those albums. I'd recommend Alice, a more recent recording. Perhaps Blood Money, as well.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

• 1 year later...

Tom Waits is touring! And would you look at that... he's going to be in my neck of the woods!

The dates:

08-01 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle

08-02 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium

08-04 Memphis, TN - Orpheum Theatre

08-05 Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium

08-07 Louisville, KY - Palace Theatre

08-09 Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

08-11 Detroit, MI - Opera House

08-13 Akron, OH - Akron Civic

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

• 4 years later...

Tom Waits...one of the first singers I remembering hearing, along with the likes of Raffi and Fred Penner. My dad's a big fan. I think Rain Dogs is the first album I ever heard of his.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a huge hundred dollar Amazon order last week thanks to my stimulus, and though my pre-ordered copies of tiny music remastered and Stephen King's Billy sommers haven't gotten here yet my other five purchases have. My very own DVD copy of All is True, the absolutely outstanding new remasters of cat stevens mona bone jakon and tea for the tillerman, as well as the brand new ultimate remix of John Lennon's plastic ono band. As well as my very first Tom waits purchase, the 2018 remastered version of his debut closing time which is a phenomenally great album with gorgeous vocals and melodies alike. Needless to say I hope to get some more of these waits remasters in the future.