A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade

Ditto. Do we have to PM you and Dale? Heh, my list and weighted scores will be an excercise in futility anyway. But that's what lost Causes are for!

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stef, if I don't post a finished version by a week before the deadline would you remind me again? smile.gif

Actually, yeah, I probably will. I've been keeping a pretty tight eye on these threads. But you know that the actual votes don't take place here, right?

Er, now I feel dumb. Where do I vote, then? I thought that was what the subtitle of the thread said!

See the first post

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

couple questions before I put my votes together,

1) I'm assuming you can't give a film ... oh say, like negative 5 points ... as long as your total points add up to 100?

and

2) Does a 10-hour HBO miniseries ... like, oh say, Band of Brothers ... count as a "film"?

1) I'm assuming you can't give a film ... oh say, like negative 5 points ... as long as your total points add up to 100?

No. Otherwise poor poor Alan Smithee would probably haved hanged himself when we tally.

and

2) Does a 10-hour HBO miniseries ... like, oh say, Band of Brothers ... count as a "film"?

No. Otherwise HBO miniseries' like, oh say, Band of Brothers might receive votes.

PS I'm a doofus. You already knew that. This is the right thread to vote in. We just need your pointage.

PPS Haven't heard from Dale in a while. Wonder if she's having his baby.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) + 20

Gone Baby Gone (2007) + 20

The Passion of the Christ (2004) + 15

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) + 15

The New World (2005) + 5

Gran Torino (2008) + 5

O Brother, Where Art Thou (2000) + 5

Gladiator (2000) + 5

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) + 5

Inglourious Basterds (2009) + 5

Edited by Persiflage

I haven't even seen Gone Baby Gone or the Jesse James flick. Every list will be limited in some way.

Stef, you've gotta see Jesse James. It's nto in my top ten, but it's really,really good. I haven't seen the director's first film yet, Chopper (which put Eric Bana on the map), but I'm sure looking forward to whatever he does next.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The Miracle Maker

[blink]

[double blink]

Hang on The Miracle Maker was 2000? Not 1999? The entire internet concurs. Why did I think it was 1999?

How have I got that wrong all this time.

Should I change my voting?

Matt

In North America, The Miracle Maker was one of three Jesus films that were broadcast during the 1999-2000 season: NBC broadcast Mary Mother of Jesus in November 1999, CBS broadcast Jesus in May 2000 (after it premiered in certain European countries in December 1999), and ABC broadcast The Miracle Maker in April 2000 (three weeks after it premiered -- theatrically? -- in the UK). Maybe that was the source of confusion; I actually thought The Miracle Maker had premiered a bit earlier in Europe m'self.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Miracle Maker

[blink]

[double blink]

Hang on The Miracle Maker was 2000? Not 1999? The entire internet concurs. Why did I think it was 1999?

How have I got that wrong all this time.

Should I change my voting?

Matt

Yes. B)

That's just how eye roll.

No Clay Allowed. Wasn't that in the rules? Searching for the rulebook...

I've not seen it and I am broke, therefore I am buying a used copy from Amazon for seven bucks.

"You know, For The Kids!!"

This is my list so far. The points aren't set in stone yet, and I might remember something else that I meant to put on here, but here goes:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 20

The Son 15

Pan's Labyrinth 10

Spirited Away 10

Mirrormask 10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 10

Wall-E 5

Once 5

Almost Famous 5

What? My turn already?

Mulholland Dr. - 17

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15

Stevie - 12

The Son - 12

Time of the Wolf - 12

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 10

Russian Ark - 7

Oliver Twist - 5

Happy-Go-Lucky - 5

Los Angeles Plays Itself - 5

Some commentary for those who want it: Mulholland Dr. is a genuine Hollywood nightmare refracted through the troubled conscience of visionary artist; A.I. is the bipolar bastard son of two disparate filmmakers, starring the Mozart of child actors; Stevie is a heartbreaking reminder that you can't save other people; The Son is an austere parable of grief and forgiveness; Time of the Wolf is the most responsible depiction of the apocalypse in a decade full of catastrophes; The Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece of production design, to say nothing of its heroic heart; Russian Ark is a single-take statement on nothing less than the decline of Western Civilization; Oliver Twist is a slightly perverse but stubbornly disciplined reading of Dickens from a director who built a career on evil portraiture; Happy-Go-Lucky is a clinical look at happiness by an intensely gloomy humanist; and Los Angeles Plays Itself is a studious tribute to my hometown's expansive cinematic qualities.

If I had room for another ten, I might include Bright Star, Golden Door, I'm Not Scared , Into Great Silence, The Man without a Past, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, The Others, A Serious Man, Shadow of the Vampire, and "The Hand" (Wong Kar-wai's contribution to Eros).

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

What? My turn already?

Mulholland Dr. - 22

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 20

Stevie - 15

The Son - 15

Time of the Wolf - 10

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 7

Russian Ark - 5

Oliver Twist - 2

Happy-Go-Lucky - 2

Los Angeles Plays Itself - 2

Some commentary for those who want it: Mulholland Dr. is a genuine Hollywood nightmare refracted through the troubled conscience of visionary artist; A.I. is the bipolar bastard child of two disparate filmmakers, starring the Mozart of child actors; Stevie is a heartbreaking reminder that you can't save other people; The Son is an austere portrait of grief and forgiveness; Time of the Wolf is the most responsible depiction of the apocalypse in a decade full of catastrophes; The Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece of production design, to say nothing of its heroic heart; Russian Ark is a single-take statement on nothing less than the fall of Western Civilization; Oliver Twist is a slightly perverse but stubbornly disciplined reading of Dickens from a director who built a career on evil portraiture; Happy-Go-Lucky is a clinical look at happiness by an intensely gloomy humanist; and Los Angeles Plays Itself is a studious tribute to my hometown's expansive cinematic qualities.

If I had room for another ten, I might include Bright Star, Golden Door, Into Great Silence, The Man without a Past, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Merci pour le Chocolat, The Others, A Serious Man, Shadow of the Vampire, and "The Hand" (Wong Kar-wai's contribution to the three-part anthology film Eros).

I need to think about making room for Time of the Wolf (my favorite Haneke film) and Russian Ark.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Great to see high praise for Stevie, Nathaniel. I really loved that doc, need to see it again soon.

Oh, and -- with the company it keeps, you really make me look forward (again) to Bright Star.

Edited by Persona

I need to think about making room for Time of the Wolf (my favorite Haneke film) and Russian Ark.

I am having a hard time deciding between Code Unknown and Time of the Wolf. They are such different films, but both also contain some of my favorite edits from the decade.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

This is my list so far. The points aren't set in stone yet, and I might remember something else that I meant to put on here, but here goes:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 20

The Son 15

Pan's Labyrinth 10

Spirited Away 10

Mirrormask 10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 10

Wall-E 5

Once 5

Almost Famous 5

Mirrormask was a near miss for me crow. And Almost Famous and Eternal Sunshine... That's it... I'm editing.

I haven't even seen Gone Baby Gone or the Jesse James flick. Every list will be limited in some way.

Of course, I recommend Jesse James like Jeff just did.

But I also can't recommend Gone Baby Gone enough. It is one of the only films I've ever seen where I've heard the most spirited & intelligent discussion from group after group after group of people walking out of the theater at the end. The main character's core is rooted in Christianity, and the story is thus how he responds to the world around him as a result. The decisions he makes are controversial, but they give the film heart and a moral intelligence that you are not going to find very often.

I just posted my Top 20 (or 30) of the decade, complete with long-winded write-up and video clips. Here's the list:

1. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 2000)

2. The Son (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, 2002) -- 20

3. Still Life / Dong (Jia Zhang-ke, 2006)

4. Colossal Youth (Pedro Costa, 2006)

5. What Time is It There? (Tsai Ming-liang, 2001) -- 5

6. Syndromes and a Century (Apitchatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)

7. Cafe Lumiere (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 2004)

8. In Praise of Love (Jean-luc Godard, 2001)

9. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)

10. RR (James Benning, 2007)

11. Birth (Jonathan Glazer, 2004)

12. In the City of Sylvia (Jose Luis Guerin, 2007)

13. The Fog of War (Errol Morris, 2003)

14. Inland Empire (David Lynch, 2006)

15. When It Was Blue (Jennifer Reeves, 2008)

16. The Gleaners and I (Agnes Varda, 2000)

17. In the Bathtub of the World (Caveh Zahedi, 2001)

18. Bamako (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2006)

19. Heartbeat Detector (Nicolas Klotz, 2007)

20. Kings and Queen (Arnaud Desplechin, 2004)

And ten more (alphabetized) that just missed the cut
:

Battle in Heaven (Carlos Reygadas, 2005)

Code Unknown (Michael Haneke, 2000)

Distant (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2002)

Fat Girl (Catherine Breillat, 2001)

Good Night, and Good Luck (George Clooney, 2005)

Hamaca Paraguaya (Paz Encina, 2006) 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Alfonso Cuaron, 2004)

I'm Not There (Todd Haynes, 2007)

Los Muertos (Lisandro Alonso, 2004)

Woman on the Beach (Hong Sang-soo, 2006)

"Suddenly it occurs to me that a good number of the films on my list are obsessed with history, memory, power, and image-making, which I'll blame, in part, on my having spent the first half of this decade in a graduate English program."

I am still heavily debating with myself between this and Notre musique, as there are so many similarities between the two thematically. What tilted this one in favor of In Praise of Love?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I hate making lists. Mine always end up pretty random and inevitably I've left out several titles that I really wish I had put in, but it's too late. Are these the best movies of the decade? Probably not. Are they among those that I liked best, that I wanted to see more than once and think about and remember? Yes. That's why I'm giving all mine the same number of points:

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings --10

The New World --10

The Incredibles --10

The Brothers Bloom --10

Lagaan --10

Bright Star --10

Lars and the Real Girl --10

Sophie Scholl: the Final Days --10

Millions --10

Yes, all right, I included Lagaan partly just to tick Ryan off, but also seriously--it was my first Bollywood movie, and as such, a revelation. I've seen dozens since, but never got over the shock of that first village dance scene. Is it cheesy? Supremely, but no more than any musical. Well, less so than Nine.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)