Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Top Films of the Decade I Still Need To See

Almost Famous

Syndromes and a Century

Tropical Malady

(I realize other contributors have posted titles they still need to see in the other Top 10 of the Decade thread, but thought these lists might merit their own thread.)

Edited by Christian

Syndromes and a Century

Tropical Malady

These are two films I wish I could see for the first time again. I am very interested to hear your response to both of them, but particularly the latter, which blends confrontational relational themes with what at first seems like a total non sequitor jump to modern mythmaking. There are a handful of directors I feel like I have been informed by this decade, and this guy is one of them.

And please, by any means necessary, watch Almost Famous immediately.

Syndromes and a Century

Tropical Malady

These are two films I wish I could see for the first time again. I am very interested to hear your response to both of them, but particularly the latter, which blends confrontational relational themes with what at first seems like a total non sequitor jump to modern mythmaking. There are a handful of directors I feel like I have been informed by this decade, and this guy is one of them.

I think I need someone to explain Almost Famous to me. I just wanted Kate Hudson's character to die and leave everyone alone.

[And please, by any means necessary, watch Almost Famous immediately.

Are you of the persuasion that the director's cut is the only way to go, or would the theatrical cut suffice?

Tyler: That's funny!

MOVIES I OWN BUT HAVEN'T SEEN YET

---------------------------------

Cache

Man on the Train

The Son

MOVIES I DVRd BUT HAVEN'T SEEN YET

----------------------------------

Into Great Silence

I'm Not Scared

Killer of Sheep

THE REST...

-----------

Synechdone[sp?] NY.

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Cloverfield

Syndromes and a Century

Tropical Malady

Yes, ALMOST FAMOUS is still on my list of favourites of the decade (which I hope to post soon, and then prepare to be mocked mercilessly).

I'm very interested in seeing both SYNDROMES AND A CENTURY and TROPICAL MALADY, especially since I've been living in Thailand for the last 17 months. But unfortunately Apichatpong's films are not well known here, and IIRC both of his films barely got any play in short of a one-week stint in the "art-house" theatre in Bangkok (which is barely art-house and more a place where they play middle-brow Oscar hopefuls/winners). The state of the film industry here is perhaps even more frightening/depressing than back in N. America.

Edited to strike-out what I see along the way:

Songs From the Second Floor

Lake Tahoe

La Moustache

Sin Nombre

500 Days of Summer

Treeless Mountain

Ink

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

Anvil: The Story of Anvil

The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter

At the Death House Door

Pray the Devil Back to Hell

Touch the Sound

Small Town Gay Bar (huge Jay Bakker fave)

Munyurangabo

Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden?

Man Push Cart

Chop Shop

Goodbye Solo

Frownland

The Girlfriend Experience

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

Ichi The Killer

Curse of the Golden Flower ---> Couldn't get too far on this one, striking it out.

The Edge of Heaven

I've Loved You So Long

Saraband

The Notebook

The Page Turner

The Reader

Atonement

Milk

Paranoid Park

The Class

________________________(these I actually have access to, and I'm willing to take suggestions, as I am still trying to verify the authenticity of the reality of what my Top 10 would be, were I truly informed.)

Amreeka

Lorna's Silence

Downloading Nancy ---> (Pointless, atrocious, it stayed on while I worked on other things.)

The Hurt Locker

________________________(these I will have access to in January, again, let me know what I should quickly get)

Cold Souls

Hunger

Troubled Water or DeUsynlige (Erik Poppe, 3rd film in the trilogy which featured Hawaii, Oslo)

Séraphine

A Prophet

An Education

Banken or The Bench (Per Fly)

Drabet or Manslaughter (Per Fly)

Canary

Deliver us From Evil (Bornedal)

Enter the Void (Noé) ---> eeeeh, I've seen enough to put this one off for a while

Everlasting Moments

Failan

Genova --->darn, had a chance to see this on the big screen and forgot I wanted to

Good Hair

Heaven's Heart (Simon Staho)

Ken Park

Mammoth (Moodysson)

Mother

October Country --> (Caught some on DVD, didn't finish, striking it out.)

Offscreen (Boe)

Song of Sparrows

The Age of Ignorance (Arcand)

The Box

Dream (Ki-Duk Kim)

The Coast Guard (Ki-Duk Kim)

Address Unknown (Ki-Duk Kim) According to my Film Journals, I've seen this. Can't remember it...

The Dust of Time (Angelopoulos)

The Girl on the Train

The Last Station

The Maid

The Messenger

The Road

The White Ribbon (Haneke)

Which Way Home

[REC]2 (gosh Manuela Velasco is such a heartthrob)

_______________________(these are films that are not yet released on DVD, no chance at this time.)

These fine films are set right alongside other films already mentioned here:

Almost Famous

Syndromes and a Century

Tropical Malady

Bright Star ---> eeh, I've seen enough to put it off for a while

Wild Grass

Summer Hours

Moon

My Winnipeg

Hunger

Departures

Lorna's Silence

The Stoning of Soraya M.

I don't think I'm going to tackle Into Great Silence right now...And technically Killer of Sheep doesn't count for this decade.

Basically all of this means that I will never be able to watch all of the films from this decade that I really need to see in order to know if my Top 10 is anywhere close to that which is reality.

I guess there's always heaven! Can you imagine all the films we will have time for there? :)

Edited by Persona

Thanks. Saved in the netflix queue. I did give four out of five stars to both Brand Upon the Brain and The Saddest Music in the World, which I still find hysterical. I believe the dracula ballet also got a 4/5...

But that's not out yet. What of the above two lists should I be certain to see before whittling down a final Top 10 of the aughts? I'm certain Lorna's Silence is one.....

I forgot about Manufactured Landscapes. I'll have to check the availability on that...

This will be a good list for me to return to throughout 2010 to pick up some good films. Thanks, Christian!

This is a post to congratulate myself and spur on the fun of this year. I've seen some great movies in the theater this year, no doubt, but I've been doing a good job catching up on many I missed from last decade. We are about 75% through 2010 and I have seen 53% of the films on my original list (48 of 91). I've not done quite as well with the scholarly Top 100, which I'm also scratching out as I go -- and films like In Praise of Love don't help -- but, for the most part, when I find new movies on that list they are rich.

Fun year so far. Has anyone else kept up with their project(s) of tracking down films they originally missed?

Edited by Persona

Pulled this thread up while searching for a related thread, and was somewhat discouraged to realize that I still haven't seen the films I mentioned in the first post. I did check out Almost Famous from the library a while back, but returned it unwatched. (Sorry M.)

Almost Famous was one that I scratched out on this thread, absolutely due to you mentioning it in the first place. I thank you for that. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise and it is a great film, one that I'd gladly see again.