Netflix and Other Home-Video Vendors [was: DVD-by-Mail]

So my tactic of watching twenty to thirty minutes at a time while folding laundry or ironing the week's outfits is off-strategy for "The Wire"?  Maybe I'll switch to "Rome" instead--it has swords and gladiators and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not interested in Chelsea Handler's career, but it's worth noting that her new deal with Netflix includes a talk show (starting 2016) that will apparently roll out one episode at a time, instead of the season-at-once model they've used for all of their other shows.

Netflix said the new talk show, officially announced Thursday after months of negotiations, will feature an “updated format” that will encompasses the latenight comedienne’s unfiltered opinions on entertainment and culture as well as her signature guest interviews. The company didn’t say how frequently new episodes of the show would be rolled out.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for good ways to track what's coming on Netflix streaming, Amazon, On Demand and other streaming vendors. Does anyone know of any good resources for this? 

For years I've used The Digital Bits to track what's coming on Blu-ray and DVD. But tracking physical media release dates isn't going to cut it going forward. 

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Have you used instantwatcher.com?  Is only good for Netflix, but a helpful tool to find out what's on--but doesn't provide upcoming releases.

Yeah, that's no good for me. I need to know what's coming, to write about it in advance.

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Not sure how far in advance you need but Hacking Netflix usually has digital for the week the day before: http://www.hackingnetflix.com/

Not sure how far in advance you need but Hacking Netflix usually has digital for the week the day before: http://www.hackingnetflix.com/

I don't know how far in advance I need it either, but it's a start. Thanks. 

Anyone else? 

Edited by SDG

The only two resources like this that I would recommend have already been mentioned... Instantwatcher and HackingNetflix. But as has already been noted, they don't offer information on upcoming releases. I think Netflix holds this kind of information pretty tightly, for whatever reason.

I had never heard of Instantwatcher until a few days ago -- and considering they're probably exclusive to the US version of Netflix, not the Canadian one, why should I have? -- but I was puzzled by the list on their home page of the films that have been "most popular" over the past 24 hours. How would they know this? I thought Netflix didn't release any data on which films get watched how often.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I'd guess they're tracking the most popular titles on Instantwatcher--i.e. which ones get the most clicks on or plays linked through their site--not on Netflix itself.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...

Netflix is getting into the Sandler business.

It’s quite possible you’ve seen an Adam Sandler film in the past couple of years. Probably not That’s My Boy (2012), which failed to crack $60 million worldwide. Good chance it wasn’t Jack and Jill (2011) either. Perhaps Blended, which reunited Sandler with Drew Barrymore? That didn’t even get to $50 million, so maybe not. Oh, wait, there was Grown Ups 2 last year. That was a hit, drawing nearly a quarter billion in box office. Of course, according to nearly every review, it was also something else that rhymes with hit, as were the other three films. Consider that for a moment then contemplate that Netflix just signed Sandler to a four-film deal where it will bankroll him to make movies like those.

Twitter Blog

• 2 weeks later...

And (stealing a link from Ryan) HBO is getting into the web-subscription business. I wonder how this will impact their deal with Amazon.

Oh, and call me slow on the uptake, but--after years of rumblings about how streaming services are changing television forever etc etc etc, it took this announcement for me to finally think "Oh, yeah. That's totally viable."

• 3 months later...

Netflix just moved 33 titles from my DVD queue to my "saved" queue. 

The age of the disc continues its precipitous decline...

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 2 weeks later...

Great Bordwell post on "What Netflix Does" (it's not the only guilty party). 

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

One thing he did not point out is that one of the key features of the prestige era of TV is the filming of scenes directly for 16:9, which is arguably a key part of the cinematic vibe we get from TV of the last decade.

I would be interested to see someone expand on that.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• 1 month later...
Any  ROKU users here? 
I've recently encountered a bug where Spanish subtitles appear on Netflix and Amazon even though the settings are off. This is only for "printed" material, though, not dialogue. Anybody know a fix? (I tried deleting Netflix channel and reinstalling it, but no go.)

I have a Roku2. Some search of help forums suggests this is a known issue but not what to do about it. 

I've heard at least one claim that the issue is with Netlfix (and Amazon)--and that there is no way to turn them off.

Step one: get a LA County Library card. It's amazing just how many dvds and vhs films they have in the system.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Step one: get a LA County Library card. It's amazing just how many dvds and vhs films they have in the system.

I use Arlington County, which has a pretty robust selection, at least compared with Fairfax, a much larger county for which I also have library privileges but which, for years, didn't buy any DVDs. It then changed its policy to buy educational titles and only DVD movies based on books.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I love the Los Angeles County library system. It links over 100 county libraries, and you can request items from any of these far-flung locations to your local branch. The one-week checkout period (with up to three renewals) is the best deal in town. Of course, you never know what you're going to get. People like to use the discs as hockey pucks, apparently. Or coasters. But they still have VHS tapes in circulation, which is a plus.

I also use the Los Angeles city system, although they only let you keep video materials for 2 days. I also have library cards for Burbank, Glendale, and Beverly Hills, but they, too, have gone exclusively digital.

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd