Netflix and Other Home-Video Vendors [was: DVD-by-Mail]

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People like to use the discs as hockey pucks, apparently. Or coasters.

Yup, especially when you try to get a kids' movie. Those things are always in terrible shape, but sometimes, miraculously, they still play in my player. Most times, though, like this past weekend with some fascination-unknown-to-me Pokemon DVD, the disc works for 10 or 15 minutes before my kids start hollering for me to "fix" the DVD.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 3 weeks later...

So... I decided to give Hulu Plus one more try. 

I signed on for a month free trial.

We still have regular cable, so most of the programming doesn't make sense for me to get.  And we have Netflix and Amazon Prime.  Those bases are covered.

We don't have access to the Criterion collection, so that's nice, but I can't help but wonder:  if you had a month of watching Hulu, what would you recommend (specifically, those TV shows/movies that aren't available easily in other outlets)?

Thanks!

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

• 4 weeks later...

What are the best things to watch on Fandor? I've been gifted with a month subscription and I'm thinking about heading straight for the avant-garde stuff (Mekas, Jordan, Rappaport, etc.).

Any gems you just can't get anywhere else?

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 2 weeks later...

Does Mubi count as a "home-video vendor" appropriate to this thread?

Guy Lodge was pointing out on Twitter that Lav Diaz's From What Is Before is now streaming at Mubi. I haven't used Mubi, but I now own a tablet - that's how I watched Diaz's Norte: The End of History, via an online screener - and am thinking I might sign up just to see From What Is Before, which is available for another three weeks.

The site promotes a free 30-day trial and mentions that certain films are selected for viewing. My question is, Is the trial selection limited to certain films, or is that Mubi's description of a more general policy? Perhaps From What Is Before is this month's designated selection, but I could watch other films, too, during my trial? What I'd like to avoid is signing up specifically to see the Diaz film, only to learn that From What Is Before is not available as part of my trial.

I'm also not opposed to signing up for $4.95/month, or whatever the current subscriber fee is, if that's what it takes to see the Diaz film. I'm just wondering if an official subscription activation, with whatever terms might be part of that, is required to see the film apart from the 30-day trial.

Anyone know how Mubi works?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Luth Research is using a Nielsen-style model to calculate how many people actually watch Netflix shows.

The data was drawn from a sample of 2,500 Netflix subscribers watching via computers, tablets or smartphones. There’s one caveat: Luth Research does not yet track Netflix viewing on TVs, whether Internet-connected sets or those linked to streaming-media players or gaming consoles. Because Netflix hasn’t offered much recent insight into its audience composition across devices, it’s not easy to conclude whether TV viewers watch different programming than those watching via other platforms.

But the data provides a rare glimpse into viewing patterns on Netflix, which has frustrated many in its refusal to divulge audience data. That’s proved problematic for producers creating original programming for Netflix and for the studios that pocket billions of dollars in licensing fees from the company.

As with Nielsen data, the Luth numbers can provide an approximation of the audience size for a given series. For instance, if 10.7% of the 40.9 million domestic subs Netflix has watched at least one episode of “Daredevil,” that would mean nearly 4.4 million tuned in over the first 11 days. The 2.3% who tuned in first day of release? 940,000 viewers.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I can't remember doing this previously on the board, but wanted to point out that I posted a question about Mubi prior to Tyler's post above and am genuinely curious about answers/responses. I mention that because, now that my post has been "bumped" to the bottom of a prior page, I fear others might miss it entirely. So, please feel free to respond to Tyler on the Luth Research model, but don't overlook the post at the bottom of p. 18. Thanks!

Edited by Christian

Does Mubi count as a "home-video vendor" appropriate to this thread?

Guy Lodge was pointing out on Twitter that Lav Diaz's From What Is Before is now streaming at Mubi. I haven't used Mubi, but I now own a tablet - that's how I watched Diaz's Norte: The End of History, via an online screener - and am thinking I might sign up just to see From What Is Before, which is available for another three weeks.

The site promotes a free 30-day trial and mentions that certain films are selected for viewing. My question is, Is the trial selection limited to certain films, or is that Mubi's description of a more general policy? Perhaps From What Is Before is this month's designated selection, but I could watch other films, too, during my trial? What I'd like to avoid is signing up specifically to see the Diaz film, only to learn that From What Is Before is not available as part of my trial.

I'm also not opposed to signing up for $4.95/month, or whatever the current subscriber fee is, if that's what it takes to see the Diaz film. I'm just wondering if an official subscription activation, with whatever terms might be part of that, is required to see the film apart from the 30-day trial.

Anyone know how Mubi works?

I have never been a Mubi subscriber, mostly because of content issues. I already have the Criterion access through Hulu and Fandor keeps me well stocked with current international titles. That said - I will also be taking the free month to watch this Diaz.

My impression of Mubi is that the subscription model is the same, but they take a curated approach to streaming scheduling (picking titles thematically for limited release "packages") rather than the traditional model.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Thanks, Michael!

Guy said not to be intimidated by the running time, so I didn't look -- I made it through Norte: The End of History with little problem, so as long as this film is absorbing, a long running time shouldn't be an issue.

So, just now, I checked the running time.

Yikes.

Edited by Christian

Mubi's selections vary from region-to-region. So, is the film available in the U.S.? Guy lives in the UK. And yes, there are only 30 films available at any given time as far as I know.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Good point about the U.S./UK distinction. I'm not sure.

Mubi confirmed that From What Is Before is its monthly movie choice, but I'm running out of time to watch it. I had been planning to take my tablet to my in-laws' for a long weekend, during which I should have plenty of downtime, and watch a good portion of the Diaz film there. And then it hit me: My in-laws have no wireless network in their home.

Edited by Christian

• 5 weeks later...

PureFlix is launching a subscription streaming service.

Pure Flix is now your go-to name for faith and family entertainment—movies, television shows, educational programs, and more. Anytime. Anywhere.

With the acquisition of IAMflix, Pure Flix is now the leading provider of subscription-based streamed faith and family friendly entertainment. Think of the other Flix, only with movies and programs you can actually watch and enjoy with your family!

This new Pure Flix service offers you the largest library of faith-based films and programs … PLUS a faith-focused vision to take on the big boys in the entertainment world.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

• 9 months later...

Screening Room, a new startup from Napster founder Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake played him in The Social Network), would allow people to stream movies at home on the same day they are released in theaters. The price point is steep: Each 48-hour rental will be $50, and that's on top of the $150 streaming box you'll need for the service. 

Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...

Turner Classic Movies and The Criterion Collection are teaming up for Filmstruck, a new streaming service that will combine their catalogs and also mean the end of Criterion on Hulu. 

[edit] Here's a link to the Filmstruck website

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

Yeah, Criterion is really what makes Hulu worthwhile for me, though it's nice to have for other reasons too (I think their selection of recent films, especially popular ones, is at least as good as Netflix).

It seems the basic Filmstruck service will feature a "broad and constantly rotating" selection of Criterion titles, and the full streaming Criterion library - presumably similar to the one Hulu has now - will be available to "premium" members at a higher cost. Hopefully the price increase over Hulu won't be too great.

• 3 months later...

VarietyHulu to End Free Streaming Service

With the change, Hulu has expanded its distribution deal with Yahoo, which is launching Yahoo View, a new ad-supported TV-streaming site with watch the last five episodes of ABC, NBC, Fox — eight days after original air date — and other network shows, day-after clips, and full seasons of anime and Korean drama.

• 1 month later...

Pricing for Filmstruck has been announced.

The basic service will be priced at $6.99 per month, which will get you:

• A constantly refreshed library of hard to find & critically acclaimed films.
  • Rare footage & special features.
  • Streaming access anytime, from anywhere.

You will have access to some films from the Criterion Collection with that base level, but these options will rotate in and out. In addition to the Criterion Collection, there will be films from studios such as: Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, “along with movies from Hollywood’s major movie studios including Warner Bros”.

The next level up will get you The Criterion Channel. For $10.99 per month you get “everything that comes with the FilmStruck plan, plus”:

• Largest collection of Criterion films available to stream at any time
  • Exclusive Criterion original bonus content.
  • Exclusive contemporary & previously unavailable films.

There will also be an option to pay $99 as a yearly fee, saving you $30.

Twitter Blog

• 4 weeks later...