SZPT

Netflix and Other Home-Video Vendors [was: DVD-by-Mail]

While I agree that suing isn't necessary, I was never satisified with Netflix's turnaround time. I was supposed to get DVD's in two days; it ended up closer to five. Though to be fair, some of that was probably our lousy local post office service.

There was another complaint I had that I can't remember offhand, so I guess it wasn't important. Other than that, I liked the service. I'd try again if the DVD's arrived more quickly (and if I had the money).

That DOES seem strange, I was JUST looking at that list myself. I wonder what the rating is based upon. Pure number of Queue(s) or is there an analysis of reuqests per weeks available? I don't know. Or is it by rating?

We signed up for Netflix about two weeks ago, after four years of (me) not having a TV. Being 30 minutes from the San Jose distribution center must help because we've had multiple cases of 2-day turnaround.

It's really exciting to finally have easy and cheap access to so many of the films that get discussed here. Last night was The Return (amazing!!); next up are Chinatown and Rear Window. We're enjoying it.

Walk-ins don't count!

Sorry, I should've put the tongue.gif at the end of that last post.

Looks like it takes several days for them to get my Netflixes that I mail back. When they get them, I received the new ones the next day.

There is a center here in Georgia. I don't understand why it takes forever for them to receive them but then such a short time until I receive the new choices.

I can mail one in on Monday, but it may be Thursday before they get it. Then I get the new choice in the mail on Friday.

Sara

Sara, that's about what happened with me. It would take them three days to get the film, then they'd send the film and it would take another three days to get to my house. So it was nearly a week before I received another film.

As far as I know, there isn't a distribution anywhere close to Tulsa.

Looks like it takes several days for them to get my Netflixes that I mail back. When they get them, I received the new ones the next day.

There is a center here in Georgia. I don't understand why it takes forever for them to receive them but then such a short time until I receive the new choices.

I can mail one in on Monday, but it may be Thursday before they get it. Then I get the new choice in the mail on Friday.

Sara

Really? Where is the distriibution center at in GA? I live in Savannah and it takes about four-five days for a turnaround.

I just signed up with Netflix on Wednesday, and Dreyer's Passion of Joan of Arc arrived in the mail today. Now I'll have to search out its thread...

Has anyone ever seen a Netflix center? Has anyone ever been inside? If so, what is it like?

In Georgia (my state) our center is in Duluth. A friend of mine in Atlanta called them and wanted to "tour" the center. She was asked if she was a stockholder!

I'd love to go inside and see how it is all set up.

Sara

I googled it. Nothing interesting.

user posted image

-s.

Peerflix has just been updated to allow users to tell roughly how many (if any) copies of a title are in the system, or in demand. For example, there are a bajillion copies of A Beautiful Mind - The Awards Edition available but no demand, and no copies of Howl's Moving Castle, but extremely high demand. This system just keeps getting better and better - I'm using it exclusively now (I got rid of my Blockbuster Online account).

Whoa! The "Spiritual Cinema Circle" -- endorsed by Deepak Chopra and Kenny Loggins??

And now this:

"The Spiritual Cinema Circle, a DVD club that deals in uplifting and inspiring films, is planning its first foray into film production. The company will produce an adaptation of Neal Donald Walsch's "Conversations With God" and plans to premiere it next year exclusively to its subscribers."

Rather than start a new thread, I'll resurrect this one to update Christian's post from early last year. The film he mentioned is done, as detailed in this email forwarded to me:

Dear Friend,

For the past decade I have dreamed of making CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD into a movie. Now, the dream has come true, and I am thrilled to invite you to be among the first to see it!

CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD tells the true story of Neale Donald Walsch (brilliantly portrayed by Henry Czerny) who, at the lowest point in his life, asks God some very hard questions. The answers he gets become the foundation of the internationally-acclaimed book series that has sold over 7 million copies and been translated into 34 languages. The film chronicles Neale's dramatic journey from being a homeless man with a broken neck to international fame as a bestselling author, illuminating the surprising twists and turns of the path along the way.

Before the Samuel Goldwyn Company and Capri release the film into theaters across U.S. and Canada on the weekend of October 27th, Neale and I are embarking on an 18-city publicity tour. In each of the cities listed below ,we will have ONE exclusive screening of CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD followed by a LIVE Q & A session with Neale and myself. Please come out and see the film and say hello to us!

Vancouver, BC September 5

Seattle September 7

Portland September 9

San Francisco September 12

San Diego September 13

Los Angeles September 16

Phoenix September 19

Denver September 21

Minneapolis September 24

St. Louis September 27

Kansas City September 29

Chicago September 30

Dallas October 4

Houston October 6

Palm Beach October 7

Atlanta October 11

Toronto October 13

New York October 17

Phoenix October 20 (Neale only)

A complete list of venues and more information on how to purchase tickets can be found at www.cwgthemovie.com .

We look forward to meeting you at the screenings!

Many blessings,

Stephen Simon

The Spiritual Cinema Circle

P.S. Please help us spread the word by forwarding this announcement to your friends and family.

No D.C. screening? Drat. But thanks for the update -- and it's good to see you posting again, Tim. It feels like it's been a while.

Ken blogs about why he's given up on Peerflix.

That does sound like it would work once, but if the person doing the copying and then sending copies to Peerflix tries it too often, the suspicion will eventually fall on him rather than the people.

Faced with the same situation, I would send an email to Peerflix stating in no uncertain terms what the situation was and firmly requesting that they reinstate my Peerbux.

Ken blogs about why he's given up on Peerflix.

That does sound like it would work once, but if the person doing the copying and then sending copies to Peerflix tries it too often, the suspicion will eventually fall on him rather than the people.

Faced with the same situation, I would send an email to Peerflix stating in no uncertain terms what the situation was and firmly requesting that they reinstate my Peerbux.

David:

FWIW, a number of posts have been made about this at the "Backlot," Peerflix's own messaging board.

A customer service representative for Peerflix recently posted. on their message board saying that they could have "done better" but only in communication. A massive number of emails were sent out informing members that they had Peerbux removed from their account because it had been determined that discs they had sent were illegal copies. The messages did not indicate which discs were said to be copies. Several members asked to see the discs that had been deemed copies/illegal (ostensibly to see if they were the same ones the sent) are were told that the discs had been destroyed because they were illegal.

The customer service representative gave a "one time offer"(because of the poor communication) that people who felt they had been wrongly accused could send him a PM, he would review the accounts, and if there had been no previous accustations/history of illegal disc claims, their Peerbux would be refunded.

I found this poor customer service and insulting. It would be akin to my failing half of my class because someone else had accused them of cheating, refused to tell them who had accused them or let them see the evidence, and then said, "But hey, because I'm such a nice guy, if you send me a private message saying you didn't, I'll review your account and remove the citation from your record if your previous record was clean." Shouldn't that have been done routinely?

The customer service rep stated:

Okay, we screwed up on the latest crack down on illegal discs. We still think it's the right thing to do as fraud hurts everyone on the network

and

Please understand that we cannot under any circumstances let fraud discs circulate on the Peerflix network.

The issue that caused me to cancel my account was not, of course, that they were cracking down on illegal discs or that anyone was claiming as though illegal discs ought to be allowed. The issue was that there was no recourse given to those accused of shipping illegal discs and only after myriad complaints did Peerflix agree to examine on a case by case basis whether any of the claims of having received an illegal disc might be fraudulent.

They have experienced massive growing pains in the last few months. My initial experience with Peerflix was pretty good. It has been increasingly been marked by headaches, poor service, and changes to customer agreements that make it not worth my while.

Peace.

Ken

P.S. After sending them a PM, they finally e-mailed me back and told me which disc was deemed to be an illegal disc. (The one I sent was not; the one they got from the other user which they deemed to be an illegal copy they said was an "obvious" copy. My hunch is, as I said in my blog, that another user could get an original disc, make a copy of it, and send it to Peerflix with a claim that the copy is what they received.)

Edited by kenmorefield

Ken,

Thank you very much for that clarification. I haven't been on the Backlot since a few weeks after it opened, because for some reason I have always had technical difficulties with registering (and thus participating in any way except viewing). I got discouraged, and stopped coming there at all.

Edited by David Smedberg

Right back at'cha.

I clicked your link, Alan - did it add me? One would think it would add you to my friends list, also, but no, I checked and I still have none . . .

So far, I'm finding that the best thing about Netflix is the previously-viewed sales.

I just bought L'Enfant for $5.99. Unbelievable.

I just posted this in the Item 31 thread, but now I see this thread, and I guess it might be more apt here:

- - -

Ron wrote:

: It's not a Netflix queue, me being a Canuck. It's Videomatica.

Is their service good? Any idea how it compares to Zip.ca? I just signed up for Videomatica.ca today, since I'm gonna be spending a LOT more time at home with the kids in the immediate future -- and since I've already got to catch up on a number of recent films that I missed in theatres anyway.

FWIW, I do not yet have 31 items in my queue.

This is the first time Netflix has let me down. I wanted to see Open Hearts before doing a roundtable with Susanne Bier this week, and they skipped over it in my queue because it's marked "short wait"