Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kebbie

the first day of life without bob edwards.

13 posts in this topic

i, for one, cried when i woke up this morning, flicked on my radio, and didn't hear bob's sonorous voice on NPR.

haven't found any discussion of bob's ousting here--are there any other NPR junkies out there? what do you make of the whole affair? did you try to pretend that bob was just on vacation when you heard the voice of steve inskeep this morning, too? wink.gif

it's a sad day in radio broadcasting.

-kate

NPR is on the

Edited by Christian

agreed, christian. with the bob edwards thing, there was also a lot of blustering about listeners' supposed "needs" (i personally haven't talked to a single person who thinks it's about time edwards got the heave-ho). like i said, i'm a self-proclaimed public radio junkie, but i'm starting to lose my faith.

haven't found any discussion of bob's ousting here--are there any other NPR junkies out there? what do you make of the whole affair? it's a sad day in radio broadcasting.

-kate

Bob Edwards was ousted?!? ohmy.gif I listen to NPR daily, but I rarely get to see a newspaper, & can't read the Washington Post article you linked to without registering. I knew he was leaving, but what-the---?

Indeed, details please about Edwards.

Christian, I don't think those changes should be judged as attack of corporate media. Here's why: if both are down the dial, neither will have top dollar on a sale that mgt would have to worry about, WDET here is in the middle of the dial at 101.9, some of us worry about that; further, it is listener supported so the programming could easily reflect the listeners' whims, rather than Nielson demos; also, because it is listener supported, the mgt doesn't have to worry about investor demand or foot voting for financing over the issue of format. This sounds like a pickayune battle over turf between to stations on the same network. It's silly, but possibly for different reasons than you suggest. Or it could be blindered mgt on the part of WAMU as to the "industry" of the town they broadcast to, ie. wanting to impress D.C. swells and all.

NPRs page honoring Edwards.

The LA Times story from last Friday

RADIO

For NPR host, the final 'Edition'

*The reassignment of broadcaster Bob Edwards provoked an avalanche of protests.

By Steve Carney, Special to The Times

Bob Edwards, one of radio's consummate interviewers, has found himself in his final days as host of National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" in the awkward position of subject rather than questioner.

"I'm sick and tired of that, frankly," said Edwards, who today ends a 24-year tenure at the helm of NPR's most popular show.

His final days have been filled with running a gantlet of interviews, trading his usual jeans and flannel shirt for a telegenic pinstriped suit and answering scores of questions about his involuntary reassignment.

"I'll be glad when it's over, to tell you the truth," said Edwards, 56. "It's too much going on

Help me out here, in what medium is "senior correspondent" NOT a demotion from "host" or "anchor"? Inskeep and Montagne are fine, but this does not add up. Leave aside the "horrible way it was handled". The Red Barber interviews alone should allow him to define his future and announce same.

Second only to Rush? Never knew that. And FM too. All the migration in radio has been back to AM since the early '90's. I wonder if this will make a difference.

Thanks for this. I remember a lot of these--most recently the Sept. 11 stories. I remember being so grateful for the way Edwards' (& the NPR presentation generally) approach was meditative, allowed some time to absorb the stunning awfulness of it all...some time to pray (though perhaps that wasn't explicitly intended)

Thanks for the Times story, too. Susan Stamberg has been sharing her mother's Thanksgiving cranberry relish for 32 years?!? eek.gif

Thanks for the Times story, too. Susan Stamberg has been sharing her mother's Thanksgiving cranberry relish for 32 years?!? eek.gif

And it's pretty good, too.

What is weird to me is that Philadelphia, home of one of the world's great orchesteras, and of the the country's great music schools (The Curtis Institute), and many other fine arts companies, does have a full-time classical-music station. Scandalous.

Well, Alan, while you're in Seattle, try Classic KING 95.

KUOW 94.9 is the all-talk NPR station (with some music on weekends); KPLU 88.5 is the NPR jazz station.

What is weird to me is that Philadelphia, home of one of the world's great orchesteras, and of the the country's great music schools (The Curtis Institute), and many other fine arts companies, does have a full-time classical-music station. Scandalous.

There's no revenue to the format and investors have the right to demand better return if they so choose. Classical has two drawbacks: Few appreciate the music on its own and are anything like knowledgeable, and serious fans (like me) resent the chopping up of long pieces (only one movement of a symphony or sonata for example) to make the programming work.

Even with chopping, it is hard to stick a commercial in every ten minutes or so. If you deconstruct broadcasting a little, you have to grant that programming is there so that folks will hear the ads. Therefore there is no money in it. Nobody listening and no place for ads that are cheap because of the previous reason. Listener support is the only way for that format to work at all. Oh, there's also XM and Cirrius. They have multiple classic formats.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

serves NPR right. i'm STILL pissed about this.

thanks for the update, alan.

It was only a matter of time, yeah I'm a cynic. Every day on the way in to work I hear the "New guy's" chalky voice and I wonder why I have to. Soon I will take the plunge into satellite radio. I'm trying to put it off, but I'm a media slappy. Maybe I will use the excuse of waiting for Edwards.