Sign in to follow this  
morgan1098

Arcade Fire-- The Suburbs

Here's "We Used to Wait" from that show.

And "Sprawl II." Great to see Regine front and center, even if her voice isn't quite up to it.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

They're playing in Chicago (with The National) on April 25. I'd love to be there, but that's the last week of my semester, so I'm probably going to be busy that week.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Ouch. Why can't they open in June when I'm seeing them in Seattle? Something tells me Arcade Fire would be a better opener than Lennie Kravitz.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

They're playing in Chicago (with The National) on April 25. I'd love to be there, but that's the last week of my semester, so I'm probably going to be busy that week.

Any seat at the UIC Pavilion would be fine, but a minimum of $99 a ticket is out of the question. (This show was bought out by the sharks, as they all are. Always.) Have fun, Arcade Fire. I will cherish the days I made money and saw you from the 6th row on the Neon Bible tour at the Chicago Theater (look for me in this pic). Have fun, all you happy college students with $70,000 debt already. Another $200 bucks a seat won't look much different to you, I guess.

$99 is twelve* films at Chicago's EUFF in March, which I really want to make it to. We'll see what happens.

*A $50 purchase gets you access to six films of your choice, at least that's how it worked last year.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Any seat at the UIC Pavilion would be fine, but a minimum of $99 a ticket is out of the question. (This show was bought out by the sharks, as they all are. Always.) Have fun, Arcade Fire. I will cherish the days I made money and saw you from the 6th row on the Neon Bible tour at the Chicago Theater (look for me in this pic). Have fun, all you happy college students with $70,000 debt already. Another $200 bucks a seat won't look much different to you, I guess.

They added a Friday the 22nd show, and even though it said on Facebook that the presale wouldn't start until tomorrow, their system let me buy a ticket this morning.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

and the management responds:

Dear Vincent,I’m one of the so called “not good people”. Can we get the camera equipment you stole from the band returned yet? Perhaps if your drug habit could be contained you may actually be able to complete a film. We should have taken advice from our other friends who worked with you who advised us not to. But we thought it would be great. Unfortunately we were wrong. Your move to “art films”, that wouldn’t by any chance be circumstantial as no one is prepared to hire or commission you any more?

Telling the truth. It’s not that hard Vincent.

Now can we get our equipment back?

thanks

Scott

My own dealings with their management while minimal have been nothing but delightful.

Edited by Holy Moly!

Wow! That is great. Didn't even know they were up for anything. Comments at the link you provided are hilarious though. I thought everyone already knew who Arcade Fire were. Comments like, "I'm going to have to check them out," and, "Never heard of them until tonight," and, "They sound like bad David Bowie," the latter of which was based on listening to one song, "The Suburbs." And if that were their only song, I might even agree, but the statement itself is really telling. Are the people that normally see their own stars win really this starved for decent music?

So, how did Arcade Fire win best album, but lose best alternative album (to The Black Keys)?

Are you looking for logic at the Grammy Awards? This is the same ceremony that awarded Esperanza Spalding a Best New Artist Grammy for her third album. It's best if you just turn off your brain and go along for the ride.

My own dealings with their management while minimal have been nothing but delightful.

I kinda figured this was the case, and I'm glad they responded. Good on them. And good on them for the Grammy.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Ouch. That just hurts to read. But at least the ignorant are backed by Rosie O'Donnell.

After the initial shock at the language on the linked thread, I began to laugh. And laugh some more.

I didn't see the award, but heard a clip of Barbra Streisand announcing the winner. She sounds like she couldn't quite get the words out of her mouth, couldn't understand who these people were, etc.

Can't find the clip online, but I did find another, GRAMMY-related, clip that I also heard this morning on the radio. I laughed when I heard this -- I'm such a a** -- only to realize that, duh, she probably was having a stroke. That's not confirmed, but it seems likely. Is there any other explanation?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Some of us would have never seen it otherwise. :)

Pitchfork interviews Win Butler about the band's Grammys triumph:

Pitchfork: Congrats on winning the Album of the Year Grammy. Did you guys figure you might win when you found out you were going to play last on the show?

WB: I just thought they used the more popular bands as rating draws earlier and then depended on the big award to be the ratings draw later. We were gonna do the last song no matter what-- it was a lot more fun to do it having won instead of having watched Eminem win.

Pitchfork: That would have been awkward.

WB: It would have been a little less fun. It was funny when that guy wrote to The New York Times saying it was all rigged because never has something been less rigged. It was exciting to see something happen that wasn't preordained to happen. We didn't pay people to get this award; it's not like Shell oil paid people to vote for it. We were surprised to win because I don't think our record had even gone gold by that point-- we definitely sold less than a quarter of any of the other nominees.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.