Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

email interviews

I just requested a screener for Gigante which opens in LA for a week Jan. 1. The invitation said that the director will be available for email interviews. I've not done one by email before. Do you just send a list of quesitions? Is there a chance for follow up by subsequent email?

I just requested a screener for Gigante which opens in LA for a week Jan. 1. The invitation said that the director will be available for email interviews. I've not done one by email before. Do you just send a list of quesitions? Is there a chance for follow up by subsequent email?

Yes, you send a list a questions. In my experience, you can usually send follow-ups and get more replies, but obviously that depends on the interviewee.

It probably varies from interviewee to interviewee. You might want to check ahead of time to see if there will be the opportunity for some back-and-forth -- including follow-up questions -- otherwise you'll have to send all your questions on the first go and hope that the answers are decent enough.

I always avoid e-mail interviews if I can, because the answers tend to sound "written" rather than "spoken", and "written" answers have a tendency to be less spontaneous, more formal, etc. Plus, if the interviewee can see far enough down your list of questions, it might affect how "natural", for lack of a better word, their answers to the introductory questions are. But on very rare occasions, it's the only way to go. (And you should always specify that the quotes were received via e-mail, the same way you'd specify if they were received via a translator, etc.)