Mr. Arkadin

Movies You Love That Are Not Loved By Everyone Else

Flight of the Navigator

The Last Boy Scout

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Buckaroo Banzai

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Tarkovsky's Stalker (it's right up there with Solaris for my favorite Tarkovsky movie)

This and Buckaroo Bonzai are way too beloved to count for this thread.

Mr. Majestyk, Prime Cut, Convoy, and Vanishing Point are not.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Ronin. Also one of my favourite "Christmas" movies.

[snip]

From Russia With Love, easily the best film in the Bond canon.

[snip]

Minority Report.

I love RONIN. It grows in my estimation more after each viewing. Fantastic entertainment.

And I always thought FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and MINORITY REPORT were, perhaps not universally beloved, but at least well-regarded. I personally love both films.

Standing boldly with Overstreet: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Standing boldly with He Who Will Not Be Named: Superman Returns.

I will stand with you on DEAD MAN'S CHEST, but break ranks on SUPERMAN RETURNS TO STALK LOIS LANE.

Of course, my love of the STAR WARS prequels puts me in pretty rarefied company.

Peter Jackson's KING KONG.

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Showgirls.

As entertaining a satire of All About Eve as you could ask for. It is also very Verhoeven in being willing to embrace the most exploitative and trashy features of American movies and go them one better and in so doing laugh at their absurdity.

Of course I completely understand people who hate it. I would also add in a similar vein Starship Troopers, the point of which I think was missed by every critic that reviewed it at the time it opened, although since then its virtues as a political satire have been sufficiently widely recognized that it doesn't really qualify as a movie for this list.

Consider me a lover of Starship Troopers, too.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've always thought of From Russia With Love as one of the better Bonds, as well, and it's generally well-regarded in fandom; confessing a deep love for Octopussy (which I do) or A View to a Kill (no) might be more controversial, though.

I totally missed the mention of Dead Man's Chest--let me add an agreement there. I'm also willing to defend the Star Wars prequels to a certain extent (though I'm equally willing to mock them mercilessly).

It wasn't my fault! The kids made me watch it.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

N.W. Douglas, you rock. Ronin is the bomb.

Mystery Men - Josh, you have a great choice there.

The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988) - has anyone else ever heard of this before?

My Life as a Dog

I like, and just about love, all four of these.

SDG, thank you for standing with me on the Dead Man's Chest.

Dune is objectively bad, but I'll watch it any time of the day or night, and I even don't do that for movies in my top ten. But one movie I imagine I'll stand alone in my love for--at least here, given the thread--is Labyrinth. Yes, Labyrinth.

I could say the very same thing about Dune. If I think of it as something entirely separate from Frank Herbert's novel (which I love), it's a remarkably surreal space opera that I find strangely compelling... even in its extended version.

And oh, no, you *won't* stand alone on Labyrinth. While I prefer Dark Crystal, Labyrinth is full of wonderful ideas, and I'll watch David Bowie in just about anything.

I think Terry Gilliam must like Labyrinth too... he has his rock-star-as-the-devil dance with an unacceptably and inappropriately sexy 16-year-old in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. The similarity of the two scenes is uncanny.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The Ladykillers (Coen brothers remake)

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

The Village

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Edited by J.R.

JR, I love Bram Stoker's Dracula. Love it.

I'm also a big fan of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and I think you'll find several others here do as well.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Things We Lost in the Fire

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

As a part-time artist, I find "Plan 9 From Outer Space" to be utterly terrifying.

Ditto for "The Star Wars Holiday Special."

Edited by Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

It wasn't my fault! The kids made me watch it.

You are not He Who Will Not Be Named. That would be our erstwhile Evil Overlord.

Who, BTW, was unabashed in his love of Big Fish.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

The original Little Shop of Horrors. Roger Corman! bit part by Jack Nicholson! Absolutely awful! I love it so.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

: Napolean Dynamite

Surely everyone loves that?

: Ladykillers remake

Yeah I kinda like that too. Not one of my favourite coens but I would defo watch it again. Certainly before the Oz film.

ANd one of my own - Disney's RObin Hood.

I've been meaning to post about this on here since we got my daughter into it and she's watched it again and again. And it turns out I love it. It does have the stand out classic songs that Jungle Book has (and in some ways it's pretty much a prequel), but overall the score is better, the set pieces are wonderful, and it has numerous nice nods to the 1938 Errol Flynn version. ANd Ustinov is sensational.

Lay that country on me babe.

Matt

Ah, thought of the perfect one: Nacho Libre

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

(for what it's worth, I've seen considerable amount of love for Ronin — especially from Mamet devotees, since he was heavily involved in the screenplay. Love that movie!)

I'm also with people on Mystery Men

My picks:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the only non-reboot Bond movie I can stand.

Eraser

Cliffhanger

And the movie I've easily seen more than any movie not titled Big Trouble in Little China...

...Home Alone 2

People don't like Ronin?

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

FWIW, links to our threads on 'Everyone else was wrong! Underrated Movies' (Jul - Aug 2004) and 'Guilty pleasures: too embarrassed to admit you like it' (Jun - Aug 2005).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Nice thread!

Superman Returns for sure.

Most of my friends think I am crazy for loving The New World so much.

National Treasure.

I absoluted love the live action Peter Pan and very few people I know get that. It's pure magic to me though.

And last but not least: Transformers The Movie - the animated movie with the 80's heavy metal soundtrack. I used to be able to quote that film word-for-word when I was a kid.

Edited by Phill Lytle

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?