SDG

Decent Films doings

Very nice. Thanks for all the hard work that goes into an upgrade like this. I did notice a glitch under the spotlight column. When you click on the link to go to your first blog post it says "page not found".

Keep up the good work.

Congratulations on all your hard work, SDG. It's appreciated!

Very nice. Sounds like a stronger architecture to build on. Do you want corrections for any errors yet? (You mention that it is not quite complete, so you may already know about errors and not need to be told.)

Edited by bowen

Jim, thanks for the catch. That link error was supposed to be globally corrected for, but looks like it fell through the cracks. I've found others of the same sort, and am working on them as best I can.

Bowen: Certainly I want to know about any errors you find ... You don't have to list 'em here tho! I'll get 'em faster via email or the Decent Films contact form.

Edited by SDG

I think this merits a thread bump. (Though I'm either a few hours late or almost a week early in bumping it.) :)

Thanks, Peter. I was going to post something about Reel Faith yesterday, but the day got away from me.

Nice work, Steven. It's a pleasure to watch you in a Siskel/Ebert format with DiCerto. You're off to a good start!

But yikes... you actually have to watch all of those movies? Will you be covering less commercial fare as well?

P.S. Ah, just got to the Killers review. Glad you didn't have to sit through that!

Edited by Overstreet

Nice work, Steven. It's a pleasure to watch you in a Siskel/Ebert format with DiCerto. You're off to a good start!

We're working on it. Just to update everyone, the most recent episode of Reel Faith is now online at the Reel Faith website. AFAIK, it will come down when the Friday show goes up. So, catch it now!

But yikes... you actually have to watch all of those movies?

We're splitting some of them up.

Will you be covering less commercial fare as well?

Yes, but we usually won't be posting the titles ahead of time, I think. I did Babies for our first episode, and this week I did a spot on Agora that may or may not make the final cut. Next week I may be covering Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders.

If you become a real addict or loser, just forget about the whole experience. You don't want all your 8th grade friends knowing all that stuff.

P.S. Let the NET folks know what you think of the show at the Reel Comments page!

FWIW, tonight's episode of "Reel Faith" (8:30pm EDT; you can watch live at netny.net) marks the halfway point for the 12-week season. I think it's also easily our best show to date; at least, both David and I were much better during shooting than we've been before. (Which isn't saying much ... the earliest episodes were pretty bad. Co-hosting television is HARD. A lot harder than guesting on radio, or even guesting on TV.)

Last week David DiCerto and I wrapped up the special fall season of "Reel Faith" -- probably the last time we'll do a fall season. Other than an isolated episode here and there, the show is on hiatus now until next year's summer season.

I don't know how many of y'all have watched it at all, but FWIW, the season finale is up now at the show's website, so you can watch it online. Since this ep is going to be up there for awhile, David and I pulled out the stops and reviewed five films -- The Muppets, Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 1, Happy Feet Two, Arthur Christmas and The Descendants.

While I'm on the subject, it looks like NET hasn't yet closed their viewer survey. So if you're inclined to show support for "Reel Faith," please take a couple of minutes to take a survey. (You have to enter something for each show on NET, but there's a "Don't Know" button for shows you haven't watched. Also, there's a little bug at the end: The survey assumes that you live in one of the NYC boroughs, and even though there's an "Other" text field for non-New Yorkers, you still have to randomly pick a borough.)

We have a Facebook page too, if you'd like to like us.

So a few weeks ago, some readers began a countdown to what they said would be my 1,000th "review or article" at Decent Films (not counting blog posts, including video review blog posts — which seems a little arbitrary, because the blog post / article distinction is a fuzzy one, but what the heck).

So, for my 1,000th "review or article," I decided to finish off a piece I've been working on for a few months, inspired by Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary, based on terms I've coined over the years at Decent Films (like "Mythology-Bound" and "Medieval Grunge"), and put them all together in SDG's Very, Very Little Movie Glossary.

The glossary is tied into my tagging system at Decent Films, which I've had fun developing. I like to create whimsical tags like Timey-Wimey (for time-bending stories), Bad Denzel (for movies where Denzel Washington plays a bad guy) and Happy Feet of Madagascar (smooshing together DreamWorks' two talking-animal franchises).

I'm pleased to note that apparently two terms on my glossary which I coined years ago have led to discussion at TV Tropes and to the creation of new tropes. TV Tropes' brand-new Of Corset Hurts trope was directly inspired by my Corset Lament, and their Adaptational Angst Upgrade emerged from contemplation of my Aragorn Complex (although the two terms are different, mine having to do specifically with discomfort around leadership).

Here's the first entry in my glossary:

Apocalypse Ouch

Some dystopian or apocalyptic movies are so painful, the actual end of the world might be preferable. The archetypal example, of course, is Battlefield Earth, a movie that is about as bad as it’s possible for a movie to be, in almost every way that a movie can be bad — at least, without accidentally being original in some way.

Other times, even if it’s not that bad, a potentially promising apocalyptic movie leaves one’s hopes for it in ruins, along with everything else.

Either way, when dystopian or end-of-the-world movies go wrong … Apocalypse Ouch.

It seems to me that to really avoid arbitrariness (arbitrarity?) and make sure you count everything worth counting, you'd have to include all the Decent Films Mail items. That would be more work, since you'd have to count them all individually.

So this is really gratifying: an appreciation of my Very, Very Little Movie Glossary from Joseph Susanka (of Summa This, Summa That / Through a Screen Darkly).

The piece was a joy to write, and Joseph's post is as gratifying a response as I could hope for.

P.S. Check out Joseph's links ... he makes creative, whimsical use of unexpected targets, sort of hypertext Easter egging...

I think I have an opening in a year or so. 

smile.png You say stuff like that, and then, BOOM, a Boxtrolls review shows up.

laugh.png

Well, The Boxtrolls is my BEAT, man. It's practically at the epicenter of my beat. 

It's because I'm writing about movies like The Boxtrolls (and literally writing about movies like The Boxtrolls), as well as movies like The Song (which is also within my beat, though not nearly as close to the center, but I have to keep bread on the table), that Redbeard is so far away. 

Seriously, I've always kept busy, but starting with Crux has been a game-changer. My new normal is working even harder and having less spare time and sleep than ever. It's a little frightening. 

Plus, I'm working on a couple of exciting projects. One is in hot development, the other is in ... um, cool development. 

So, to be clear, your diaconal studies are not keeping you from reviewing films? Or are they keeping you from staying up to date on Decent Films only, while you review sporadically for other outlets? Or some other alternative approach?

So, to be clear, your diaconal studies are not keeping you from reviewing films? Or are they keeping you from staying up to date on Decent Films only, while you review sporadically for other outlets? Or some other alternative approach?

My approach to the academic year during the last two years has been what I've called "reviewing semi-hiatus." In practice this has meant:

• doing my biweekly home video column for the National Catholic Register;
  • writing about one full review per month for the Register (as opposed to one every week or so, as during the summer); and, more recently,
  • keeping up with my monthly column at Catholic Digest.

So my Register review of The Boxtrolls (and my Catholic Digest essay on stop-motion macabre) are par for the course. 

However, my new gig with Crux has been a game-changer. I am now writing a weekly column for Crux on home video releases as well as one or two additional reviews (last week's review of The Song being my first). 

Factor in diaconal studies -- and my two exciting projects -- and I've never been this busy in my life. Which is saying something.

Thank God there's an expiration date, because I couldn't do this forever. (Also, thankfully my classes this semester are easier than some past semesters. I'm basically coasting.)