Sign in to follow this  
opus

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

My 5-1/2 year-old has already outgrown Chuck. E. Cheese. And Goonies is wretched.

Still, I would sit through Goonies on a twenty-four hour Goonie marathon, commercials included, in order to avoid the treason to film that is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

My 5-1/2 year-old has already outgrown Chuck. E. Cheese. And Goonies is wretched.

Still, I would sit through Goonies on a twenty-four hour Goonie marathon, commercials included, in order to avoid the treason to film that is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

And I love hyperbole more than I love my own 4-½ year old daughter!

<Scott Pilgrim roundhouse KICK! to your head, Persona!>

tongue.gif

I'm not drinking alone. I'm drinking with the Lord.

And I love hyperbole more than I love my own 4-½ year old daughter!

tongue.gif

You can tell what a great board this is by how passionate we are about ideas.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Adjusting size to get a decent quote:

I would expect nothing less from someone who calls themself "Judo Chop".

And it wasn't hyperbole. Given the two options, you now know mine. Unless you are referring to "treason to film," which I stand by as also not hyperbole.

I have been thinking about hyperbole in relation to the title of this film, and it is fitting. I've also been thinking about typical discourse on IMDB message boards, which we seem to be having a bit of here, which is also perfectly suited for this film.

Guest Pax

I caught this on cable earlier today. I can't think of a recent movie that I had as much laugh-out-loud FUN with. QT meets PTA, with a sizable bit of Wayne's World thrown in for good measure. I've set it to record so I can watch it again.

Edited by Pax

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I watched about an hour of this tonight...thinking about a 10 years later thing. I have't thought about this movie in a long time. And I'm wondering why comedy grows in your mind more when you *don't* watch it. Is it because you just remember and relive the good parts? This film isn't quite Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but in some ways my relationship to it is similar. I've been mouthing some quotes for so long that I've just come to think that means it's a good movie and I like it. 

Now? I don't understand it. I think Scott is a horrible person but unlike other movies about sympathetic horrible people, he thinks he's cute and the movie never requires him to have a reckoning nor you for finding him cute. 

It is quotable though. It's so very, very quotable.

Why does everything have to be so hard?