Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Spider-man 2 logo on MLB base-running paths

from David Poland's column today:

THE SECOND STORY, delivered by two Wall Street Journal marketing reporters, and about which I have a lot less to say about, is Sony's deal with Major League Baseball to put spider web Spider-Man 2 logos on first, second and third base at a bunch of big league ball games next month.

Very clever, but yick.

I thought we had reached the low point of every damned thing being logo'd when men started writing the names of gambling websites on their bodies during boxing matches. But what in God's name prompted Major League Baseball to sell space on the base paths of their ballparks?

Perhaps they can sell PG films first base, PG-13 films second base and R rated films third base. Home base, of course, is sacred and can only be sold to Bernardo Bertolucci. Surely, Disney will never end up there.

Maybe Will Smith could pitch a game for the Yankees on I. Robot Day. Bases could disappear and reappear at random on M. Night Shyamalan Day. The Queer Eye For The Straight Guy guys could redesign uniforms. Maybe Ronald McDonald could ump a game so that fans who scream that the ump is a clown could be right for a change.

And when football season comes around, what team would refuse the chance to let Angelina Jolie play center in a promotion for Alexander? Not only would there be a lot of really long counts as quarterbacks worked their hands under Ms. Jolie's behind in anticipation, but just imagine what entertaining things she could do with the ball!!!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Does anyone remember The Simpsons episode where the church burned down, and the only way they could rebuild it was through advertisers?

When that happens in real life, then I'll be surprised by advertiser revenue.

(Although, there was The Passion...)

Bill Veeck sold space on the infield cover in Cleveland, scandalising everyone outside of Cleveland. He also thought of passing out umbrellas during rain delays paid for by selling space on the umbrella but sold the team before it was implemented.

Illich was the first to put a computer graphic over the homeplate sign so he could maximize his own TV ad revenue on broadcasts. The way the Tigers have played since he bought the team (1992) tells me this hasn't become a big revenue stream. He was also the first to sell rink board advertising at Joe Louis Arena. In the '80's, the NHL made him clean them off in the playoffs, apparantly so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of the CBC and "Hockey Night In Canada". I'm not too offended by this. Revenue has to come from somewhere and it now costs up to $200 for an outing for a family of four to a baseball game even in some "cheap seats" with parking and overpriced hot dogs and Coke included.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Guest Russell Lucas

I love the ads on hockey boards.

Oh, and I suppose any editorial cartoonist who takes the easy shots is running a piece today which shows what baseball should really be advertising on its bases: Human Growth Hormone, Creatine, GNC products.

Lets just face it sports is becoming a huge way to advertise. Look at the SuperBowl advertisers pay $500,000 just for 30seconds. If you look at European hockey i meen wow their entire uniform is a add for Visa or other various things. Even the helmets have advertising on them. But all in all the worst has to be the advertising on boxers. This kind of baffles me are the boxers trying to promotse them selves or the advertising? Its almost like a battle between advertising more than it is boxers.

Advertising in hockey to me is fine its not all that distracting and there is some cool sings on the bords. I dont think having spider-man logos on the plates will be distracting but still soon the entire feild will be a huge billbord. Next thing you know in the NFL there will be no more team logos in the end zones; rather there will be advertising for sports illistrated swim suit issue or soemthing like that. In the other end zone there will be beer advertising. unsure.gif

"Whos more of the fool,the fool or the fool who follows". Obi-Wan Kenobi

Brent M.

Darn, I forgot about uniforms! Look at European soccer. No patches for the most part, but the uniform maker's label is more prominent and there is also what in racing would be called The Major Sponsor. Ironic that the easy shot pundits are already kvetching about ads to come on uniforms of sacred baseball. Look at the future in Europe. Soccer salaries in the major power countries worldwide dwarf allegedly bloated baseball.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

The Yankees are saying no. Only one day, and only during BP. I hate to say this (really, it hurts to say it), but Yea, Yankees.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

And now the whole plan is scrapped. luxhello.gif

-from the film
Armin

Half the time i dont even know what soccer team is playing. I cant tell if i am looking at the team logo or the manufacture. Nascar is crazy there is so much advertising on the cars. Nascar is heavy on the advertising. After Jeff Gordon won a race recently he gets out of his car and drinks a Pepsi wink.gif Next thing we know hockey players will be puck shaped helmets with a logo on the top. Haha maybe not. dry.gif

Basketball has it pretty good in terms of advertising in the arena while they play. I dont really see to much advertising around the place mainly because there is no place to put the stuff. Haha but then i see a powerade comercial i think? and it has Lebron James shooting ball from the other side of the court. Haha its good for show though. But then again thats a commercial so its all good then. Isnt it?

P.S. (Sorry for the spelling errors.)

Edited by Brent_Dude33

Brent M.

I agree with Darrel - for once only, hooray Yankees.

I guess I'm with Bart Giamatti, in seeing something idyllic, even edenic, in the beauty and symmetry of a baseball field (c'mon, I'm sure I'm not the only one whose heart beats a little faster on emerging from the dark tunnel and catching the first glimpse of the ballfield); and it troubled me that this could be despoiled by ephemeral advertising. I can be a reactionary conservative about something, can't I? biggrin.gif

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I can be a reactionary conservative about something, can't I? biggrin.gif

It's important for me to keep baseball as part of my life, because it reminds me of what people feel who hate change. After all these years I still hate DH, colored unis, and wild cards. Giamatti was indeed to commissioner baseball deserved. Pity he died so early.

-from the film
Armin

I can be a reactionary conservative about something, can't I?
Edited by Rich Kennedy

Heh, heh. I love satire that strikes rather close to home. Nice find.

On the topic of spider-man i was just reading ESPN magazine and noticed there was a little thing about Spider-Man and MLB. I went on and read further on and noticed that ESPN has put down in words what could be the comercials for MLB staring Spider-Man.

I read this little script i guess you could call it and it sounds kind of funny. MJ is also going to be in the commercial as well and Aunt May.

I cant remember off the top of my head what issue this was, I will post back later on what issue and page this is on for those who have ESPN magazine.

Edited by Brent_Dude33

Brent M.