• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#101 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Cumberbatch!

I won't lie, this is the best news I've heard about the movie yet.

#102 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 31,692 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

NBooth wrote:
: Cumberbatch!

For some reason that Deadline "exclusive" says they haven't said yet whether Benedict Cumberbatch is playing a good guy or bad guy. As it happens, TrekMovie.com also says it had an exclusive on Cumberbatch's casting ... and then Variety went and revealed that Cumberbatch is playing the villain, i.e. the role that Benicio Del Toro turned down. So not only is Deadline's "exclusive" maybe not-that-exclusive, it's also way out-of-date at this time (as blog posts go).

#103 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

NBooth wrote:
: Cumberbatch!

For some reason that Deadline "exclusive" says they haven't said yet whether Benedict Cumberbatch is playing a good guy or bad guy. As it happens, TrekMovie.com also says it had an exclusive on Cumberbatch's casting ... and then Variety went and revealed that Cumberbatch is playing the villain, i.e. the role that Benicio Del Toro turned down. So not only is Deadline's "exclusive" maybe not-that-exclusive, it's also way out-of-date at this time (as blog posts go).

Weird. A friend texted me to let me know, and I did a search and came up with the Deadline report. Apparently, Variety is also reporting that Noel Clarke of Doctor Who will also be in the movie playing "a family man."

Edited by NBooth, 04 January 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#104 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,981 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Well, I certainly can't see Cumberbatch playing Khan, FWIW. This must be a new villain indeed.

#105 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Well, I certainly can't see Cumberbatch playing Khan, FWIW.

Or Mudd or Gary Mitchell (two of the options mentioned a while back). Trelane, possibly--although unlikely for reasons mentioned above.

So he must be playing the Horta....

Nah, I'd bet on "new villain" too.

#106 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Or Mudd or Gary Mitchell (two of the options mentioned a while back). Trelane, possibly--although unlikely for reasons mentioned above.

Well, MTV has some set photos, and Cumberbatch seems to be wearing a Starfleet uniform in one of them. If it weren't for the fact that Mitchell has been dealt with in the in-continuity comics, I would be inclined to start leaning that direction.

#107 Tyler

Tyler

Tu fui, ego eris

• 6,817 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Well, MTV has some set photos, and Cumberbatch seems to be wearing a Starfleet uniform in one of them. If it weren't for the fact that Mitchell has been dealt with in the in-continuity comics, I would be inclined to start leaning that direction.

Right, since Abrams is always so concerned about continuity.

#108 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 31,692 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Tyler wrote:
: Right, since Abrams is always so concerned about continuity.

I think the key point here is that the comics were written with input from the WRITERS of these movies, AFTER they had figured out what the basic storyline of this movie was going to be. And yes, the comics written by these guys have been VERY concerned with continuity.

#109 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 31,692 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Those leaked photos from last week? Here's some video that was shot at the same time.

Cumberbatch's character may or may not be a villain -- that all depends on how the plot twists and turns -- but it's interesting that he seems to be a match for Spock in the physical strength department. Is Cumberbatch not human, then?

#110 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,862 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

It's kind of funny, but seeing all those stills taken in front of the green screen really give it that old Star Trek TV show monochrome backdrop feel. Hey, maybe JJ should consider going retro... worked for The Artist.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 28 February 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#111 Tyler

Tyler

Tu fui, ego eris

• 6,817 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

George Takei shared an exciting announcement on his Facebook page:

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Posted Image
George Takei36 minutes ago
Friends, I'm thrilled to share this news with you today. As announced at Emerald City Comicon, where I'm appearing this weekend, Paramount Pictures has green-lit a new Star Trek Movie entitled "Excelsior" in which I will play the captain. This announcement is part of Paramount Studio's 100th-year anniversary campaign. The studio has acknowledged the fan enthusiasm for this concept ever since I appeared in command of the vessel in "The Undiscovered Country." J.J. Abrams will direct, with Robert Orci again writing the screenplay.

My co-star in Allegiance, Paulo Montalban, has been cast opposite me to play the mercurial "Agha," the grandson of Khan (played by Ricardo Montalban in the Second Star Trek Movie). Also featured are Gilbert Gottfried (playing a wily Ferengi First Officer) and Lisa Lampanelli (as a Bajoran security officer).

More to come on this breaking story soon. Thanks again for the years of support, and I'll see you on the Bridge of "Excelsior."

#112 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Gosh, I hate April 1. Still, the idea [of Excelsior, not April 1 ] is amusing. I especially like the implication that fans have been clamoring for an Excelsior movie for years.

Edited by NBooth, 01 April 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#113 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 31,692 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Three major spoilers confirmed. Well, they're only "spoilers" in the sense that J.J. Abrams doesn't want anybody to know anything about this movie until the trailer comes out several months from now; there are no major plot points here, just stuff that would probably be spelled out in the next movie's first ten minutes. (And one of the "spoilers" has already been leaked, pretty much, by the actor in question, during a CNN interview that took place a few days ago.)

But still... wow. I have no idea how ANY of this is going to make sense, given that the events of these movies are supposed to be consistent with the original series' timeline at least until the point when Kirk was born. (And get ready for some complaints about the, um, whitewashing of a certain non-white character...)

#114 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I saw that earlier today and heaved a huge double-barreled sigh. I was hoping for something less predictable.

#115 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

(And get ready for some complaints about the, um, whitewashing of a certain non-white character...)

io9 counts the ways in which this piece of casting is a bad idea (spoilers, natch).

Edited by NBooth, 03 May 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#116 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,829 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

That casting call makes no sense to me.

#117 NBooth

NBooth

Collector of Oddities

• 3,650 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm right there with you. Much as I love the actor, the role is just...no.

#118 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 3,040 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm right there with you. Much as I love the actor, the role is just...no.

I'm inclined to agree. A part of me was hoping that when Benecio Del Toro left they would get someone who could credibly be Indian to play a character named Singh (granting that non-Indians can convert to Sikhism and adopt the last name).

#119 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,951 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

(And get ready for some complaints about the, um, whitewashing of a certain non-white character...)

I'm on it. ;)

#120 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 31,692 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Y'know, I'm not going to bother spoiler-tagging anything here, because last week's news has been splashed across the HEADLINES of a number of sites, and none of it sounds like the sort of thing that wouldn't become obvious months before the film comes out anyway.

So, there, fair warning.

Anyway. So if Cumberbatch really IS playing Khan, and if Leonard Nimoy really IS coming back to play Spock Prime one mo' time, then I think this film may have found a way to deal with at least ONE of my objections to making Khan the villain, as per my blog post of two years ago.

In that post, I wrote:

Second: Spock-Nimoy actually died because of Khan. (And then he was brought back to life by the Genesis Wave.) Spock-Nimoy has now come back in time and knows where all these future threats lie (and not just Khan, but V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the Borg, etc.). So if Spock-Nimoy doesn't warn Starfleet or Spock-Quinto about all these various threats, then that, in a nutshell, would be lame. Very, very lame. At any rate, there is no reason why anybody should be "surprised" when they come across Khan on this new timeline, the way they were when they came across him on the original timeline. There would be no need to get acquainted with the man, to figure out whether he really is the Khan of history, to take time sussing out whether he really is a villain like the history books seem to indicate and, if so, what he is capable of; instead, thanks to Spock-Nimoy's encounters with Khan, the people of this timeline should know in advance exactly who he is and just how careful they ought to be around him.

I assumed, back then, that this movie would have to adopt the same basic starting point as 'Space Seed', the episode that introduced Khan in the first place. And I assumed Nimoy would be out of the picture because, well, Nimoy had said that he was retiring from acting, and that he had passed the baton to Quinto and company and it was all up to them now.

But if they're actually bringing Nimoy BACK (and hey, he DID return to Abrams' TV show Fringe the other day, retirement or no retirement), then this could be an Entirely Different Story from the one we saw before. Instead of chancing upon the Botany Bay by accident, Spock could use his photographic memory to recall where the Enterprise first encountered that ship, and he could let the powers that be at the Federation know where to find it, and then... and then... well, despite being warned in advance, presumably the Federation screws up somehow and Khan gets free (and presumably his fellow super-beings do, too? oh, and maybe some of THEM will be non-white, which might alleviate some of the valid concerns that i09 raised regarding the casting of Cumberbatch in this role?).

And hey, if that really IS Khan going hand-to-hand with Spock-Quinto, then that should be kind of fun to see. I mean, both Khan and Spock are stronger than average humans, so it's POSSIBLE they could be kind of evenly matched. But Khan and Spock never set foot in the same spaceship, much less the same room, in ST2:TWOK; and it was Kirk, not Spock, who somehow bested Khan in hand-to-hand combat in 'Space Seed' (with the help of a presumably heavy prop).

(Side question: If genetic engineering is so eeeeeevil, then what do we do with Spock? I mean, a person who is half of one species and half of another couldn't have happened "naturally" -- couldn't have happened without planning and a bit of technological assistance -- could he?)

(I realize that my last question may be rebutted somewhat by that animated episode in which we learn that Spock fathered a child with a member of yet ANOTHER species in the distant past during one of his time-travel excursions on the original series.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 07 May 2012 - 12:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: J.J. Abrams