Golden Globes 2010

Anybody going to tune in tonight?

I'm not sure if I will or not. Depends on how the evening goes. But if I do, I'll check in here to see if anybody's chatting about them as they go.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'm planning to watch the whole thing. I'm parked in front of the TV now, flipping between the end of football and the red-carpet show on NBC, which is terrible. Gerard Butler is on right now. What, is he nominated for that horrible film in which he played the villain? Man, that was one of the worst movies I saw this year. Law and Order? No, but something like that? Lawless Order? Man, it was bad. Had Jamie Foxx in it. Shameful.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Line of the night so far:

"Animation is not just for children. It's also for adults who like drugs." -- Paul McCartney

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Gervais: "...but one thing that can't be bought is a Golden Globe... officially..."

Then, after the laughs:

"It's okay. I'm never going to do this again anyway."

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Juliana Marguiles, accepting her award: "Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, and David Zucker... my liege... You're a good team to be on."

Ahem. You're a good team to be on?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Gervais, with beer in hand, introducing a presenter: "I like a drink as much as the next man... unless the next man... is Mel Gibson."

That's great.

But this? James Cameron, follows up "I'm the king of the world!" with "I have to pee something fierce."

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

I thought the Gibson line was over the line, but Gibson didn't seem to mind.

As relief workers are risking everything to save lives in Haiti, James Cameron just asked Hollywood to applaud themselves for having the best jobs in the world. It's a sad thing when Hollywood stoops to fulfill the worst things that are said about it.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Overstreet wrote:

: As relief workers are risking everything to save lives in Haiti, James Cameron just asked Hollywood to applaud themselves for having the best jobs in the world. It's a sad thing when Hollywood stoops to fulfill the worst things that are said about it.

Uh, I'm not watching the Globes right now, so I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but what's the deal? Did Cameron himself bring up Haiti? Would the thing that Cameron said have been any worse or better if he had said it at a different time, or is it only "the worst" because he said it NOW? Are people allowed to not-think about Haiti right now, or does Haiti have to haunt everyone's thoughts no matter what they are doing?

Side note: the last time I heard the word "Haiti" in an entertainment context, it was an NBC executive saying people shouldn't be coming to Conan O'Brien's defense so much because Haiti is more important than late-night talk shows. Which, considering the source, is just silly, no matter how true it might be on some level.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Other performers made honorable remarks about the crisis in Haiti. The program didn't need to dwell on it. But Cameron used his three trips to the microphone tonight to talk about whether he had to pee, or whether he had just peed, and then instead of saying "I'm king of the world," to tell the famous people to clap for themselves for having the best jobs in the world... which he went on to awkwardly, fumblingly define as "uh... making... entertainment... for a global audience..." I'm not saying he needed to make a speech about Haiti. But what he *did* say felt like something somebody would script for a satire about Hollywood self-congratulation.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Cameron's always embodied this weird mix of attributes, where one moment he's earnestly seeking "perspective" on something and even a degree of gratitude or humility, and then the next moment he's expressing the shallowest of sentiments via clunky lines (for lack of a better way to describe it). Consider the original epilogue to Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), in which the 64-year-old Sarah Connor recalls how Judgment Day came and went without any nukes flying:

I wanted to run down the street yelling... to grab them all and say, "Every day from this day on is a gift. Use it well!" Instead I got drunk.

And compare that to his Oscar acceptance speech (transcribed from

with just a slight bit of grammatical clean-up):

In the midst of all this euphoria, it's kind of hard for us to remember that this euphoria and the success is for a film that's based on a real event that happened, where real people died, that shocked the world in 1912. So I'd just like everybody to go with me just for a second on something here. I'd like to do a few seconds of silence in remembrance of the 1,500 men, women and children who died when the great ship died, and the message of
Titanic
, of course, is that if the great ship can sink, the unthinkable can happen, the future's unknowable, the only thing that we truly own is today. Life is precious, so during these few seconds, I'd like you also to listen to the beating of your own heart, which is the most precious thing in the world. Join me please in a few seconds of silence for
Titanic
. [ long pause ] Thank you very much, that's about as much as I'm sure Gil Cates can stand. All right, you've really made this a night to remember in every way. Now let's go party 'til dawn!

I guess we could say that there's a certain "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" vibe here. (A few seconds of silent remembrance, followed by hours and hours of partying?) Anyway, I'm not surprised that some of the clunkiness showed up at the Globes tonight, but I wouldn't necessarily want to dismiss it out of hand; there may very well be something more positive wrapped up in those sentiments.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Other performers made honorable remarks about the crisis in Haiti. The program didn't need to dwell on it. But Cameron used his three trips to the microphone tonight to talk about whether he had to pee, or whether he had just peed, and then instead of saying "I'm king of the world," to tell the famous people to clap for themselves for having the best jobs in the world... which he went on to awkwardly, fumblingly define as "uh... making... entertainment... for a global audience..." I'm not saying he needed to make a speech about Haiti. But what he *did* say felt like something somebody would script for a satire about Hollywood self-congratulation.

I have to confess that I kept getting him confused with T-Bone Burnett looks wise....they do have similiar hair. :)

Overall a painful watching experience and we watched it on DVR.

I take it Antichrist won everything?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.