2010 Calvin College Festival of Faith and Writing

Fantastic lineup!

Wally Lamb? Is he a believer? I had no idea.

I just finished reading Dicamillo's The Magician's Elephant to my girls. That book is a little too busy, and made me uncomfortable in spots with its notions of faith and belief, yet I kept pressing my kids to let me read it to them each night before bed. I wanted to know what was going to happen next!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Links to the threads on the festivals in 2005, 2007 and 2009. For some reason I can't find threads on any previous even-numbered years.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Fantastic lineup!

Wally Lamb? Is he a believer? I had no idea.

I just finished reading Dicamillo's The Magician's Elephant to my girls. That book is a little too busy, and made me uncomfortable in spots with its notions of faith and belief, yet I kept pressing my kids to let me read it to them each night before bed. I wanted to know what was going to happen next!

From what I've read of his, Lamb is definitely familiar with the Bible, and with asking questions of faith and God, but I'm not sure what he actually believes. FWIW, Calvin often invites non-Christian musicians to play there, so the "faith" in the title of the festival probably doesn't only include Christianity.

Links to the threads on the festivals in 2005, 2007 and 2009. For some reason I can't find threads on any previous even-numbered years.

I think they do the music festival on odd years and the writing festival on even years. Maybe we've only talked about the music festival here before.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

The last few years have featured Michael Chabon, Jan Martel, and Salman Rushdie, so don't jump to any conclusions. :)

Wish I was going to be there. I had planned to give it daily coverage on my blog, Facebook, and Twitter. There are so many writers I'd like to see, so many friends I looked forward to seeing, and my two presentations there in 2008 were the best-attended I've ever enjoyed. But no invitation this time, despite the proposals I sent in. Maybe I got drunk and trashed my hotel room or something, and I just don't remember it.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

tyler1984 wrote:

: I think they do the music festival on odd years and the writing festival on even years. Maybe we've only talked about the music festival here before.

Oh, interesting. FWIW, I believe I searched for past threads simply by using the phrase "calvin college", so I wasn't prejudicing the search in favour of music or literature. I wasn't even aware that there was a distinction to be made, here!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wish I was going to be there. I had planned to give it daily coverage on my blog, Facebook, and Twitter. There are so many writers I'd like to see, so many friends I looked forward to seeing, and my two presentations there in 2008 were the best-attended I've ever enjoyed. But no invitation this time, despite the proposals I sent in. Maybe I got drunk and trashed my hotel room or something, and I just don't remember it.

Well, I do seem to remember a drink or two being served that one night to members of our dinner party... Who knows what was slipped in to them? :unsure:

After attending the last one I swore I'd try to never miss one, but with the Glen Workshop on my calendar this year, I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to make it. Still trying to convince other Nashvillians to attend so we can carpool.

Oy, Jeffrey! You guys aren't going to Calvin??? I'm deeply bummed. I'll be missing the Chrysostom thingee this year, so won't see you there either. Still, I am doing a little presentation at the Seattle University Search for Meaning event on 13 February. I've already cornered Greg about grabbing a drink Saturday night. Any chance you and the delightful Anne are fixing to be around? Hope so.

Very possibly. I'll email you with our current schedule.

Maybe you can put in a vote for my return to Calvin in 2012. ;)

We'll miss you at Chrysostom this weekend. We're thrilled that Over the Rhine will be joining us this time around.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 months later...

Just a note that IMAGE will be there with bells on. A booth in the book fair plus we'll be holding a reception directly after the Richard Rodriguez keynote on Friday right in the lobby of the fieldhouse after the talk ends. Come see us! We want to get to know our A&F friends!

I found out today I'll get to be in Lawrence Dorr's fiction workshop on Friday afternoon at the festival.

Also, you can check out the full schedule here.

Alas. If only I could clone myself to be in more than one session at a time. ;). Such dilemmas and it's only a partial schedule that's posted. :)

Cool news on the workshop, Tyler! You have good list of people you to see; I hope you can work them all in! :)

I want to see Joshilyn Jackson and Stephanie Kallos--some of their writings have the supernatural bent I like to explore. Eugene Peterson is another one. People from Relief have a session I want to try to attend. I'm not sure on anything else at this point.

Argh. Steve McCurry is also going to be there--I heard him speak at Malone in Feb and would love to hear him again. He's taken photos all over the world--a lot of them for National Geographic. What still amazes me is he doesn't use artificial light for his shots; it's all natural light. (for his non-studio shots).

I may try to find a spot and toy with some story ideas that have been knocking around in my head, but I haven't had time to work with, esp. at this point in the semester. :)

Greg--how many people from SPU are going to be at the festival? I've seen several names here and there on the schedule.

Edited by CherylR

I like to say that I practice militant mysticism. I'm really absolutely sure of some things that I don't quite know.~~Rob Bell April/09 CT

http://whythewritingworks.com

Greg--how many people from SPU are going to be at the festival? I've seen several names here and there on the schedule.

Cheryl: There will be just two official IMAGE staff at Calvin -- myself and Christy Edwall. But there will be some former staff, alumni and perhaps one or two faculty members from the MFA program, and a bunch of contributors to the journal.

Not sure if that answers your question!

Cheryl: There will be just two official IMAGE staff at Calvin -- myself and Christy Edwall. But there will be some former staff, alumni and perhaps one or two faculty members from the MFA program, and a bunch of contributors to the journal.

Not sure if that answers your question!

It does. :)

Edited by CherylR

I like to say that I practice militant mysticism. I'm really absolutely sure of some things that I don't quite know.~~Rob Bell April/09 CT

• 3 weeks later...

A little tacky self-promo -- my friends Andrew & Chris from the Other Journal, who are editing the series "Experiences in Evangelicalism" for Cascade Books, will be there selling copies of the excellent book Jesus Girls, and taking pre-orders for my book, Sects, Love, and Rock & Roll. I don't know if you get a discount or anything for pre-ordering it, but stop by and say hi to them at least!

Edited by Joel

My Thursday festival itinerary:

10:30 Sara Zarr reading

12:00 Scott Cairns-Embodied Faith: Not What You Think (plenary session)

1:45 Barbara Nicolosi-The Power of Imagery

3:15 Leslie Leland Fields, Jeanne Murray Walker, and Paul Willis-The Art of Bloodletting: Translating Suffering to the Shared Page

4:30 Sheryl Fullerton, Robert Hosack, and David Long-What "Some" Editors Want "Some" Writers to Know

7:30 Wally Lamb-There But for the Grace of God: What My Writing Has Taught Me About Sin, Redemption, and the Complexity of the Crime-and-Punishment Equation (plenary session)

Twitter Blog

I wasn't a big fan of Wally Lamb's talk. He's pretty funny, and he had a few interesting anecdotes, but most of the speech felt like him giving a commercial for his books. He didn't go into much depth and or talk about grappling with doubt and evil the way I've admired in his writing. It almost felt like he was scared to share what he really thinks because it was a Christian audience. That would make sense with some Christian audiences, of course, but that's not the atmosphere at the festival at all.

It was a good first day at the festival overall, though. I'll try and get some blog posts up about the highlights at some point.

Twitter Blog

I wasn't a big fan of Wally Lamb's talk. He's pretty funny, and he had a few interesting anecdotes, but most of the speech felt like him giving a commercial for his books. He didn't go into much depth and or talk about grappling with doubt and evil the way I've admired in his writing. It almost felt like he was scared to share what he really thinks because it was a Christian audience. That would make sense with some Christian audiences, of course, but that's not the atmosphere at the festival at all.

I haven't read any of his works, but I thought, based on the title of the talk, it was going to go off in a different direction than what it did. I thought it was just me though, being too tired to process much in the way of coherent talk at that point. :blink:

Mary Karr's talk was outstanding.

Leslie Layland Field's panel, Scott Russell Sanders, Joshilyn Jackson all had really good sessions. :) Chip MacGregor's was good, as well. It did get a bit tedious spending most of Thurs and Friday in either the seminary chapel or the seminary auditorium and sitting on the chapel's pews are not a good place to spend a great deal of time. B)

The panel on small presses and literary journals and the one put on by the folks at Relief Journal--"Children of Divorce: Reconciling the Divide Between Literary and Genre Fiction" were also good.

I'm already anxious to see the list for the next festival. :)

The panel on small presses and literary journals and the one put on by the folks at Relief Journal--"Children of Divorce: Reconciling the Divide Between Literary and Genre Fiction" were also good.

I went to that one, too. There weren't that many people there, either, so we might have seen one another without knowing it.

Twitter Blog

I went to that one, too. There weren't that many people there, either, so we might have seen one another without knowing it.

A distinct possibility. :o

Mary Karr's talk was outstanding.

Karr's book has really come alive after the halfway point, now that she's in recovery in the narrative. There's a passage I listened to on the way home about a woman who kept encouraging Mary to pray to her Higher Power. Mary resists and resists. And then, in the space of two sentences, tells us the outcome of that woman's life, and ends with a thank you to the woman.

I just about drove off the road.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker