A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade: Results

To heighten the drama, I'll release the top 20 in bits and pieces over the week. Let's start with the bottom six:

No. 19 (tie):

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

(38 points/3 voters)

No. 19 (tie):

Dogville

(38 points/3 voters)

No. 18:

The Dark Knight

(39 points/5 voters)

No. 17:

Beau Travail

(40 points/2 voters)

No. 15 (tie):

Pan's Labyrinth

(40 points/4 voters)

No. 15 (tie):

Master and Commander

(40 points/4 voters)

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To heighten the drama, I'll release the top 20 in bits and pieces over the week. Let's start with the bottom six:

Might as well go ahead and insert some commercials as well.

These films that have massive amount of votes from few people are interesting.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

How in the holy name of all that is holy is Master and Commander rated above Dogville and Doggers is at # 19.

I knew this was a bad idea. Whose idea was this, we need to string that fella up.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

How in the holy name of all that is holy is Master and Commander rated above Dogville and Doggers is at # 19.

I think they're too different in intent and approach to seriously weigh one against the other, so I have no problem with the ranking. They're both fine films. It's very easy to accord the film with the artier agenda/approach the lead, but such analysis may be misleading. MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD is a remarkably accomplished film, albeit accomplished in different ways than DOGVILLE manages to be.

If I was to get picky about ranking, I'd have far more issue with the fact that THE DARK KNIGHT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING placed so high.

Edited by Ryan H.

Heh heh, I'm having trouble with Dogville and "holy" in the same thought, but that's me.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Omagine the following scenario: It is Saturday afternoon. I just made a cup of tea. Dogville is on channel 2, Master and Commander is on channel 4. Which one am I going to watch?

Answer:

Master and Commander

If I was to get picky about ranking, I'd have far more issue with the fact that THE DARK KNIGHT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING placed so high.

High as in they should be in the top ten, or high as in they shouldn't even be in the top twenty?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Apologies if I've overlooked a detailed list of rules, but why isn't Beau Travail tied for 15th? I don't really understand why the number of voters should factor into the ranking.

Most polls that use this format use no. of voters as a tiebreaker, but feel free to have a three-way tie for 15th in your own mind if you'd like.

Regardless, it's not a problem that's happening again in this list.

Also, Beau Travail is the best film of the decade.

If by "best film of the decade" you mean "film of the decade that most increased its grade in its very last scene," then yes, you are correct.

Anyway, today's topics to complain about below. I pretty much guarantee that no. 11 is higher here than in any other decade poll anywhere.

No. 14:

Memento

(41 points/3 voters)

No. 13:

The Incredibles

(42 points/5 voters)

No. 12:

Punch-Drunk Love

(45 points/5 voters)

No. 11:

Lars and the Real Girl

(48 points/4 voters)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

High as in they should be in the top ten, or high as in they shouldn't even be in the top twenty?

The latter. I don't think they even deserve to place in a top 40. That's not to say I deem them bad or anything. Well, that's not quite true, since I do dislike RETURN OF THE KING. But I quite like THE DARK KNIGHT. I just think there have been many films of considerably greater merit released throughout this decade. Still, popularity always wins out in community polls like this (after all, people need to have seen the films in question, and they're more likely to have seen THE DARK KNIGHT than a film by Wong Kar-Wai). I'm not really complaining about where they show up, just responding to Persona's disbelief that MASTER AND COMMANDER placed as high as it did.

But I will make a genuine complaint now: the thoroughly unremarkable LARS AND THE REAL GIRL does not deserve its position on this list.

Edited by Ryan H.
Most polls that use this format use no. of voters as a tiebreaker, but feel free to have a three-way tie for 15th in your own mind if you'd like.

This is contrary to logic. If the intention of the point system is to accord a specific film value based on its numerical relationship to other films within an enclosed system, then the fact that it achieved a high total value relative to two independent systems makes it more significant than the fact that it achieved the same total value spread across three or even four independent systems. In terms of sheer evaluative logic, 40 points from two voters is of greater statistical significance than 40 points from four voters. The tie should actually be broken by statistical spikes in the system that signify something of unique value, rather than cumulative plateaus of values in three or four systems that signify something of relatively common value.

In terms of social science, the most voters per point value is actually a baseline for deviation. In most cases, the baseline is a better indication of phenomena within a communal cultural system. But as this list intends to chart the tastes of A&F... ah, nevermind. Tie goes to the most votes per total point value. This is the rhythm of the night.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Will you release the totals for all the movies, after you've finished with the suspense?

(which, by the way, is killing me. Goodbye, cruel world... :wings:)

Edited by David Smedberg

That's just how eye roll.

In terms of sheer evaluative logic, 40 points from two voters is of greater statistical significance than 40 points from four voters. The tie should actually be broken by statistical spikes in the system that signify something of unique value, rather than cumulative plateaus of values in three or four systems that signify something of relatively common value.

The base size is too small to infer much about the skew, but I suppose you could do a weighted average to account for high points/few voters phenomena. I don't know that I'm following the "statistical spikes" signfying unique value with a base size this small. I think it just means a few voters really, really liked a certain film. Weighted average is probably the best way to handle this.

I'm not really complaining about where they show up, just responding to Persona's disbelief that MASTER AND COMMANDER placed as high as it did.

Well, I agree that Master and Commander isn't one of the 20 most important films of the decade. But if your goal is to make a fun, spirited, high-seas adventure, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better film that M&C. It's made with astonishing technical excellence on all levels, and the storytelling is literate and thought-provoking. It's one of my favorite adventure movies and in my dreams I'm watching several sequels. It avoids all of the excesses of The Return of the King, and does more honor to its source material (he says rashly, having talked to a lot of O'Brian readers but never read the book).

And no, as much as I love Lars, it's not a landmark motion picture.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I don't know that I'm following the "statistical spikes" signifying unique value with a base size this small.

Hence the grand sophist reveal at the end of the post.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I don't understand why there's so much argument in this thread.

Because the argument is the fun part. ::bully:: :argue: ::duel:: ::box2::

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

And no, as much as I love Lars, it's not a landmark motion picture.

I included a few intensely personal choices on my top ten, so I can see why someone would be compelled to include this. Ebert's decade list was both baffling and exhilarating for this reason.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Easy. I saw Master and Commander. I didn't see Dogville (instead I rented something called Sunshine).

OK, in the middle of all my pissanty little boy whino stuff, this really made me laugh hard. Like, I'd do the whole LOL thing but it was way bigger than LOL, I nearly sprayed my coffee...

However, this is also the fear I have for the ever revered Top 100. Exactly how you just described it. Saw one, didn't see the other, ten years of work down the drain.

Apologies if I've overlooked a detailed list of rules, but why isn't Beau Travail tied for 15th? I don't really understand why the number of voters should factor into the ranking. Also, Beau Travail is the best film of the decade.

Didn't see it.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SENSING A PATTERN HERE

ORDET IS GONE PEOPLE, GONE, and I really think that stinks

I don't understand why there's so much argument in this thread. Isn't the final list just a tabulation of the votes? The only way it could be "wrong" is if they were miscounted.

I am sure you are wrong about that,

Edit: poopey-pants.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.