A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade: Results

Most polls that use this format use no. of voters as a tiebreaker, but feel free to have a three-way tie for 15th in your own mind if you'd like.

This is contrary to logic. If the intention of the point system is to accord a specific film value based on its numerical relationship to other films within an enclosed system, then the fact that it achieved a high total value relative to two independent systems makes it more significant than the fact that it achieved the same total value spread across three or even four independent systems. In terms of sheer evaluative logic, 40 points from two voters is of greater statistical significance than 40 points from four voters. The tie should actually be broken by statistical spikes in the system that signify something of unique value, rather than cumulative plateaus of values in three or four systems that signify something of relatively common value.

In terms of social science, the most voters per point value is actually a baseline for deviation. In most cases, the baseline is a better indication of phenomena within a communal cultural system. But as this list intends to chart the tastes of A&F... ah, nevermind. Tie goes to the most votes per total point value. This is the rhythm of the night.

Screw the reveal AND the rhythm of the night. The error in logic here is that in this poll, 40 points is impossible from a mere two voters. I'm with Ryan on Lars, but I do agree that channel 4 would be the move to make.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SENSING A PATTERN HERE

ORDET IS GONE PEOPLE, GONE, and I really think that stinks

Sigh. At last. I'm beginning to feel some peace. Diapers anyone?

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The error in logic here is that in this poll, 40 points is impossible from a mere two voters.

Bees are in the what now?

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Master and Commander. Saw it. Three musketeers and you film it throwing water at them with lots of yelling. Worse than a Johnny Depp pirate movie. BAD BAD BAD. (I can't remember if I was drinking when I saw it. Maybe I'll have to try it sober.)

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Screw the reveal AND the rhythm of the night. The error in logic here is that in this poll, 40 points is impossible from a mere two voters.

But I saw it happen.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Three musketeers and you film it throwing water at them with lots of yelling. Worse than a Johnny Depp pirate movie.

Wow, stef. I have never heard a Patrick O'Brian epic summed up the way you just did. You are bold, I'll give you that.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Really? The maximum an individual could give a film was 30 points, so it's easy to imagine two voters giving a film a score of 20 points, combining for a total of 40.

Really? I was convinced that the max was 15. If I'm wrong, then Damn! I would have voted quite differently.

EDIT Gulp. I'm wrong. How I misread that, I don't know

Nevermind. /EDIT

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I do hope to see all the outliers in the final analysis. I can't wait to see how many 1 voter films there were (though I guess I could just scan the thread.) I bet I'm the only voter for Kung Fu Hustle. (note: don't take that bet).

No. 10:

Zodiac

(50 points/3 voters)

No. 9:

Code Unknown

(52 points/3 voters)

No. 8:

Children of Men

(56 points/5 voters)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I do hope to see all the outliers in the final analysis. I can't wait to see how many 1 voter films there were (though I guess I could just scan the thread.) I bet I'm the only voter for Kung Fu Hustle. (note: don't take that bet).

162 different films received votes. Of those, 104 films received only one vote, including, yes, Kung Fu Hustle. Only one voter, who shall remain nameless but writes gorgeous and gritty fantasy that leaves us wanting more, had no films that received only their vote.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

And Fincher went on his roll in the 90s with Se7en and Fight Club. He has grown old and soft and dreams about growing backwards to his best work.

Sorry. You're all wrong again.

Hey, don't include me in this. I didn't vote for COM.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Sorry. You're all wrong again. Children of Men is, in fact, Alfonso Cuaron's third best feature film of the decade, trailing behind -- by a great margin, I'll add -- both Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Well, I won't agree that CHILDREN OF MEN is inferior to HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, but I will say this: the film is all style, no substance, and squanders a wonderful narrative conceit.

And Fincher went on his roll in the 90s with Se7en and Fight Club. He has grown old and soft and dreams about growing backwards to his best work.

ZODIAC is arguably more impressive than either. Especially FIGHT CLUB, which, when one looks beyond its flashy style and generally strong performances, is as dumb as a bag of bricks.

Edited by Ryan H.

I think a strong case can be made for Children of Men as Cuaron's best so far. I remember being enthralled by both his masterful action sequences and his sensitivity with actors. Additionally, the story, while thin, is urgently told, the central metaphor meaningful, and the vision of a possible earth-future strewn with all kinds of salient detail. There's a long and heated A&F discussion tucked away somewhere, and I'm tempted to sift through it again to compare notes.

Azkaban is still my favorite Harry Potter, but it's looking a little cluttered these days--too much plot, too many cumbersome FX (though the sensitivity with actors is still there). As for Y Tu Mama Tambien, I'm surprised more people don't find it patronizing.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

ZODIAC is arguably more impressive than either. Especially FIGHT CLUB, which, when one looks beyond its flashy style and generally strong performances, is as dumb as a bag of bricks.

If it makes you feel better to call it dumb than I'm OK with that. But the "all style no substance" schtick from you is getting old. Fight Club has style, sure if that's what you want to call it. It's also pizazz. It's vitality, a vigorous flair. It's more imaginative, acted with more zeal and passion for the roles, and it is a remarkable statement in and of itself about the post-millenial film watching experience (note all of the spliced film within the film as one small example of flair). I'll have to watch Zodiac again someday, but I saw it on the big screen and it should've come with its own rocking chair and comforter. Fincher proved he has the ability to fall asleep in the middle of his own film, and in his last three it's like rinse and repeat: over and over. Where's the imagination of The Game? Where is the imagination at all? Post-90s Fincher is like the rock star you thought was a god, aged and burned out and walking with a cane. It's like watching Noel Gallagher throwing up.

If it makes you feel better to call it dumb than I'm OK with that.

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel cranky and irritated, and more than a little tired. I wish FIGHT CLUB would just go away, in some sense, so I wouldn't have to play the role of the weary prophet begging a movie-watching populace to wake up and see the object of their worship for the stone-and-wood creation that it is. ;)

It's more imaginative, acted with more zeal and passion for the roles, and it is a remarkable statement in and of itself about the post-millenial film watching experience (note all of the spliced film within the film as one small example of flair).

Care to extrapolate that "remarkable statement about the post-millenial film watching experience" for me?

Edited by Ryan H.

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel cranky and irritated...

;) But aren't you always cranky?

That's just how eye roll.

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel cranky and irritated...

;) But aren't you always cranky?

Why no, sir. FIGHT CLUB undoubtedly hits a nerve, but I'm usually quite jovial, if a little blunt. If I seem contradictory and cantankerous, it's only because I have an abiding love of the joys of friendly discussion and argumentation. :)

Zodiac is intense. I am a closet fan of crime fiction, and thought Zodiac was a great apology for the best examples of the genre. Regardless of how you take the rest of the film, Fight Club has one indisputable thing going for it: the best use of a Pixies song in any movie. Otherwise, the dumbest bits of Fight Club are Palahniuk's fault, not Fincher's. It is an admirable adaptation even if you don't like the book.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Now to the films with widespread support.

No. 7:

Spirited Away

(80 points/8 voters)

No. 6:

Yi Yi

(88 points/5 voters)

No. 5:

There Will Be Blood

(97 points/6 voters)

No. 4:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(98 points/9 voters)

Final three tomorrow morning.

Dale

It's nice to see Yi Yi, one of my favorites, so close to the much more popular releases. It's curious. At my first (sleep-deprived) viewing, Yi Yi bored me, while There Will Be Blood thrilled me. But the former has taken up a place in my memory and affection, and the latter has faded away altogether.

Edited by du Garbandier