Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Josh Ritter - So Runs the World Away

Had a few listens to this album now and am enjoying most of it. Starts really well with the first few tracks but I do lose interest a part of the way through. The lyrics are great. Surely will find more treasure here as I keep on divulging. Never heard him before so thanks for the tip off.

This is the first Ritter song I've heard. Are they all like this?

Instrumentally, no. Song structure, kind of. I think "Change of Time" from this album might be more representative of his sound, overall.

I'm one of those folks that initially missed the loud guitars of Historical Conquests..., but after a few songs I realized I was going to love this album. And I do. I think it might be favorite so far this year.

Jeff, maybe Ritter is to you like Over the Rhine is to me?

I've been listening to this for a few months now. Josh Ritter has for quite some time been one of my favorite modern singer/songwriter types. But he lost me a bit on 'Historical Conquests', with the glaring exception of one of his best songs ever, 'The Temptation of Adam". The album as a whole just doesn't interest me that much. There's little that makes an emotional dent.

My response to his new disc is similar, but there's no "Temptation..", although there are some rather poignant numbers (Change of Time, The Curse, Another New World). In fact, my strongest reaction to the album is a sort of sadness. Ritter has been questioning God since "Anne" and "Red Rainslicker". Those songs are difficult in their own way, but also gently relate-able. I find the emotional tone on "So Runs..." almost alienating,

Still, Josh is best on this album when he goes for the emotional impact. "See How Man Was Made" is simply lovely. Unfortunately, there's a lot of filler. Oh well. As they say...his filler is better than many folks best work.

I want to like this guy. I'm trying.

I get it. My adoration of Ritter comes from years of steeping in the stuff over multiple albums. I bought "Animal Years" after a recommendation from a raving friend and felt lukewarm about it after the first listen. It's not grabby or gutpunching, just kind of quietly quality. I understand if you don't want to put in too much effort for a guy you're only halfhearted about, but listening to Animal Years, Historical Conquests, and So Runs the World Away in order can really sneak up on you with the way that his writing is mature and lovely. Also, if you ever have the chance, see him live-- he radiates so much joy in what he does.

Also, if you ever have the chance, see him live-- he radiates so much joy in what he does.

Yes!

Nice to see you over here, Lauren; always pleasant to see tweeps jump over to A&F. :)