Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Pina and other 3D films by Wim Wenders

61 posts in this topic

Fairly random question:

Does it bother anyone else that this is being labelled (or dare I say pigeonholed) as a documentary?

I know there are documentary elements, but as far as I can tell (it hasn't come here yet, so I haven't seen it yet) it's primarily a dance (or ballet, if you prefer) film, not a documentary.

I don't know what else you would categorize PINA as if you didn't categorize it as a documentary, though I agree the label could be a bit misleading depending on what you consider that label to signify.

Was really wanting to see this tonight but my better half wanted to go watch THE VOW in a theatre full of giggling and sighing teenage girls. Maybe tomorrow.

Somehow I suspect that Pina will largely draw a bit different type of crowd. :D

I don't know what else you would categorize PINA as if you didn't categorize it as a documentary, though I agree the label could be a bit misleading depending on what you consider that label to signify.

You don't talk about going to see a documentary when you go see an opera in the theater. You wouldn't call Bergman's The Magic Flute a documentary, and you wouldn't call a theatrical version of Rite of Spring (a portion of which is included in Pina) a documentary, so calling Pina one really doesn't make sense in that light (I'll allow that the film has documentary elements in a way The Magic Flute does, but the bigger point still holds).

What would I categorize Pina as? A film. That's plain and simple enough.

Yes, I may be nitpicking, and no it may not be that important. At the same time, while Pina is a documentary to the extent that it is about Pina (i.e. documenting her life, spirit, etc.), since it's primarily 'theatrical modern dance' I wonder if people who would otherwise be interested won't because it's being called a documentary, or if some people are going to go in with the wrong expectation of what the film should be (i.e. go in expecting a typical narrative documentary).

Edited by Timothy Zila

I think the documentary aspects are too strong for them not to call it a documentary. Though, you're right, it's also a dance film. So it's really a hybrid.

Most assuredly a documentary in that it is in large part a documenting of Bausch's work and tribute to her career.

Documentary.

This opened over the weekend at a multiplex not too far from my house! Now I have to figure out how to prioritize the 3D "Pina," "A Separation," knowing that my chances of getting to either are below 50%. I'm thinking "Pina" has to come before "A Separation," if only so I can see it in 3D.

This opened over the weekend at a multiplex not too far from my house! Now I have to figure out how to prioritize the 3D "Pina," "A Separation," knowing that my chances of getting to either are below 50%. I'm thinking "Pina" has to come before "A Separation," if only so I can see it in 3D.

If your chance of getting to either is < 50%, you don't need to prioritize the options, you need to reprioritize life so you can do both.

Attica wrote:

: Interesting. Maybe it's a different chain, or is the venue a smaller theatre (like a cinematheque)?

The Park Theatre is part of the Festival Cinemas chain, which is a local indie-leaning chain which was, for a while at least, owned by one of the national chains.

: Nope. I just checked... it opened at the Empire theatres in Vancouver yesterday as well.

Eh? I don't see any information to that effect on the Empire website. In fact, it tells me that the three remaining Empire theatres in the Vancouver area (the Guildford, the Granville and the Esplanade) DON'T have any showtimes today.

Overstreet wrote:

: In a post-screening interview, Wenders recalled a friend saying, “Watching these dancers is like watching the disciples turn into apostles.”

Interesting, in light of the critique that I and others have made (e.g. here) about the film not giving us any context for Pina's work (or, indeed, see gigi's comment here about the dancers' resolutely positive take on what it was like to work with Pina). I have a feeling there is a point that one could make here about the parallels, but it's early in the morning and I've got to take my family to church and I haven't got time to think of one yet.

Timothy Zila wrote:

: I know there are documentary elements, but as far as I can tell (it hasn't come here yet, so I haven't seen it yet) it's primarily a dance (or ballet, if you prefer) film, not a documentary.

I think there are enough documentary elements to classify it as a documentary, even if (as per gigi's comments, for example) the documentary elements don't run very deep.

If your chance of getting to either is < 50%, you don't need to prioritize the options, you need to reprioritize life so you can do both.

This is a nice sentiment, but I'm not sure I HAVE TO see "A Separation" at the theater, as eager as I am to get to it. "Pina" seems more theater-worthy, even to this 3D-doesn't-quite-work-with-my-eyes guy.

And then there's the money question, as I'm told, once again, "Don't spend ANY money until you get paid again."

Life is like that for me.

Eh? I don't see any information to that effect on the Empire website. In fact, it tells me that the three remaining Empire theatres in the Vancouver area (the Guildford, the Granville and the Esplanade) DON'T have any showtimes today.

Yeah. I checked again and your right. I'm thinking maybe what I did the first time was to click on the change theatre button and then quickly glance at the release date without reading further.

I loved the film. The 3D puts the viewer right in the middle of the art. I am not familiar with much modern dance, but this film opened the possibilities of the art form in a way I hadn't considered before. I liked how many of the dances were staged in natural and urban environments. And the use of natural (dirt, water), and manmade (chairs) elements in some of the pieces were quite striking as well.

I have to admit, that tram gliding above the river was one of my favorite parts of the film. I want to have one of those where I live.

Edited by Crow

This is coming to ABQ this weekend and I'm extremely excited to see it.

Technical question: Have those who already seen it seen it in Real3D? According to local listings, it's just digital 3D. This is the first film I'll see that hasn't been associated with the Real3D brand. Is there a difference? Better? Worse?

I know Wender's is using 3D in a very distinctive, innovative way, and I expect it to be top notch, but I'm just curious.

This is coming to ABQ this weekend and I'm extremely excited to see it.

Technical question: Have those who already seen it seen it in Real3D? According to local listings, it's just digital 3D. This is the first film I'll see that hasn't been associated with the Real3D brand. Is there a difference? Better? Worse?

I know Wender's is using 3D in a very distinctive, innovative way, and I expect it to be top notch, but I'm just curious.

I've seen it twice in Dolby 3D, and it looked perfect. For the most part though, RealD theaters simply look better for domestic theatrical projection. Here's a nice link about 3D projection technology: http://tinyurl.com/7rurtqa

Finally Got around to seeing this and I loved it. It was enriching. For me the scene that worked the best in 3-D, was when they were dancing in the glass building in the park. That scene with the trees behind, in 3-D, was great. The film also increased my respect for dance and the talent that's involved.

Although my favorite dance pieces are still from the Lola Heatherton dancers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1yvS_m_7eE

Also the following piece, at the 6:35 mark, would work fine in 3-D

Edited by Attica

What is this SCTV thing? I've never heard of it, but it's got one heckuva cast!

This is a nice sentiment, but I'm not sure I HAVE TO see "A Separation" at the theater, as eager as I am to get to it. "Pina" seems more theater-worthy, even to this 3D-doesn't-quite-work-with-my-eyes guy.

And then there's the money question, as I'm told, once again, "Don't spend ANY money until you get paid again."

Life is like that for me.

And then there's the whole "it doesn't look like it's doing very well at my suburban multiplex, which now has the film showing at 12:50 p.m. only" thing to contend with. I doubt it will be at the theater after today.

EDIT: Yup, it's gone after today. Stupid Fairfax! :(

Edited by Christian

And then there's the whole "it doesn't look like it's doing very well at my suburban multiplex, which now has the film showing at 12:50 p.m. only" thing to contend with. I doubt it will be at the theater after today.

Sounds like you need to come down sick prior to 12:30.

Finally Got around to seeing this and I loved it. It was enriching. For me the scene that worked the best in 3-D, was when they were dancing in the class building in the park. That scene with the trees behind, in 3-D, was great.

(I think you mean "glass building.")

I loved that scene. The light was so beautiful. I want to go to there.

Sounds like you need to come down sick prior to 12:30.

It's still around at other theaters in the area. I was thinking I might take in a film on Monday, which is a holiday, but last week a relative died and the funeral and other family events are now scheduled for Monday. So no movies over the long weekend, most likely.

Movieguide:

Very strong mixed pagan worldview with a modern take on dance with Romantic elements; no foul language; some violence when people push each other and women falling into the ground and walking into walls; some sexual innuendo; brief upper female nudity, upper male nudity, shear dresses on women, and men and women in underwear; no drinking; smoking but no drug use; and, man wears a dress for dance scene, movie creates an idol out of the title character who’s dead, a mention of angels.

After describing the film as "beautifully produced in 3D," the reviewer concludes:

... the movie seems to idolize Pina Bausch to a high degree, and there doesn’t seem to be much more of a storyline beyond that.

And let's not forget:

(PaPaPa, RoRo, V, S, NN, D, MM)

Edited by Overstreet

What is this SCTV thing? I've never heard of it, but it's got one heckuva cast!

It was a Canadian comedy show that ran Friday nights in the late 70's an early 80's. When I was a kid we used to watch it on Friday's and then talk about it at school on Monday mornings, as some of the sketches they did were hilarious. In the 80's it was broadcast a bit in the States and worldwide but has always been popular here in Canada, and re-runs have been playing on various T.V. stations since the show quit production. A lot of people up here are still fond of the show.

Pretty much all of the cast and a few of the writers went on to become successful in Hollywood, and the show had a few sketches that were "breakouts". The biggest being Bob and Doug Mckenzie, which went on to make a double platinum selling comedy album, and a movie (Strange Brew). They started when Canadian content laws maintained that the show should have more time with specific Canadian content, so after they finished a day of shooting Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas would move onto the Great White North set and ad-lib something for the show.

Like this.

Another breakout was the Schmenge brothers, who had their own T.V. special. This is a clip from SCTV not the special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjsGp8t0JM

Edited by Attica

And let's not forget:

(PaPaPa, RoRo, V, S, NN, D, MM)

Never forget! Never surrender!

First thing I thought when I read, "RoRo" was "Scooby-Doo."

Finally Got around to seeing this and I loved it. It was enriching. For me the scene that worked the best in 3-D, was when they were dancing in the class building in the park. That scene with the trees behind, in 3-D, was great.

(I think you mean "glass building.")

I loved that scene. The light was so beautiful. I want to go to there.

Oops. Fixed it.

Yeah it was gorgeous. What struck me was watching the trees going back into the distance, yet seen through the slighly reflective glass of the building. I've never seen 3-D quite like that. It was striking and effective yet without having to be shot according to some of the regular ways 3-D is filmed. The scene and the 3-D was, well, elegant.

I also thought the dancing by the pool was beautifully filmed.

Edited by Attica