Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Sherlock

128 posts in this topic

We finished the third episode earlier tonight and really enjoyed it. The second episode was a bit underwhelming and went on for far too long, but overall, the series was solid. I especially liked the way it incorporated modern technology, e.g., text messaging and mobile web searches. They added a bit of a "gee whiz" factor to the series without ever becoming gimmicky. Even better, they further enhanced the idea of Sherlock Holmes as this coldly analytical information-processing machine who has no time for trivial things like emotions.

More thoughts here.

But are you seriously telling me that I'll have to wait at least a year for new episodes?! Sigh...

I especially liked the way it incorporated modern technology, e.g., text messaging and mobile web searches. They added a bit of a "gee whiz" factor to the series without ever becoming gimmicky

I really liked this, too; the original stories (and some successors, like Chesterton's stories) had an incredible way of making even the most mundane facts of life seem adventurous. I think the power of the stories was exactly this romanticizing of the everyday. It's the kind of thing that a period-set Holmes (even, for instance, such an excellent adaptation as the Jeremy Brett series) can't do, simply because at this distance it all seems exotic; to the contemporary viewer, riding in a hansom cab seems exactly as likely as hobnobbing with the hereditary King of Bohemia. Sherlock manages to tap into that canonical romance. It even makes sending a text seem like a great adventure, and that's no mean feat.

BTW, I ordered the DVDs and have now re-watched all the episodes, and I've got to say they certainly don't suffer from multiple viewings. If anything, the things I had problems with (you-know-who, for instance) seem more promising now than they did before. I'm definitely looking forward to series 2.

Edited by NBooth

BTW, I ordered the DVDs and have now re-watched all the episodes, and I've got to say they certainly don't suffer from multiple viewings. If anything, the things I had problems with (you-know-who, for instance) seem more promising now than they did before. I'm definitely looking forward to series 2.

I'd really like to rewatch them on DVD/Blu-ray. We watched the series online and PBS' video player was horrid: not only was the video quality pretty low, but the player would frequently freeze and we'd have to manually restart the video and jump ahead to where we left off. Which, needless to say, didn't make for the best viewing experience. So I feel like there were a few things I missed when I was cursing at my TV.

Are the versions on the PBS website the edited version shown on US television, or are they full-length? In any case, it's definitely worth checking out on DVD (especially for the commentaries on episodes one and three).

Are the versions on the PBS website the edited version shown on US television, or are they full-length? In any case, it's definitely worth checking out on DVD (especially for the commentaries on episodes one and three).

I'm not sure if the versions we watched were edited or not. I did a quick search and some people claim that PBS did edit the episodes, but when they list what was edited out by PBS, I seem to recall seeing those scenes. So maybe the edited versions were shown on TV (for time, content, etc.) but the unedited versions were shown on the website. I'm a little confused, and even more eager to watch the DVDs.

Alright, for anyone who hasn't heard it yet, as of January 3, Steven Moffat gave only very limited details about the three Sherlock Season 2 episodes scheduled to air this Fall.

He remains tight-lipped about what lies in store. "You can have three words to work from," he laughs. "Adler, Hound, Reichenbach. Those are your clues."

Well, those three words are more than enough to let us know what's coming.

Well, those three words are more than enough to let us know what's coming.

Yep, and I'm still the most interested in what a modern take would look like on that word in the middle.

I was surprised, actually, when I read that last one, since a lot of the reviews etc seemed to be treating, well, The Great Game as a kind of "Final Problem" (makes no sense dramatically, but makes perfect sense in light of the Holmesian Canon). So many iterations of the sentence the great Reichenbach falls have become a swimming pool that I almost believed it, myself. Now it looks like that's not so much the case.

Hound of the Baskervilles has always been the least interesting Holmes story to me--I know, I know. I would be more interested in seeing them take down a modern Charles Augustus Milverton or encounter a modern Red-Headed League. Or even go after the Agra treasure, somehow. But I guess it's the most popular Holmes story and has to be dealt with somehow.

Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...

That's funny. (Cumberbatch also does a Rickman impersonation in the commentary track to...A Study in Pink, I believe. He's certainly got it down pat).

Edited by NBooth

Mark Gatiss confirms that the next series will be based on "A Scandal in Bohemia," The Hound of the Baskervilles, and "The Final Problem." In that order. He also spills who's writing what:

“Steven wanted to do the twisted love story [of 'A Scandal'] because he likes that. I’m doing the gothic horror, and Steve Thompson is doing ‘The Final Problem’.

So they're giving writing duties for the defining story in the Holmes canon to...the guy who wrote The Blind Banker. Right, then. Glad Moffat's doing "Bohemia," though; he's got a dab hand with tension-filled relationships between genders. As long as he can resist the urge to have Sherlock meet her at randomly-assigned points in her timestream, we should be good. :D

A bit more:

“Now that the scripts are well underway, [it's] about trying to find certain things between the three of them, where we can find a little bit of an arc.”

He also revealed that the first three episodes will focus on “what Sherlock and John’s relationship is, a little further on”.

“You don’t want to just go back to the beginning,” he added. “You’ve got to move on somewhere.”

...which may, or may not, mean that some of the problems with Holmes' characterization alluded to earlier in the thread will be addressed.

Edited by NBooth

This is streaming on Netflix, BTW.

Beyond Hollywood has the titles:

“A Scandal In Belgravia” – Described as a “twisted love story”, written by Moffat.

“The Hounds Of Baskerville” - A “Gothic horror”, written by Gattis.

“The Reichenbach Fall” - The finale, written by Stephen Thompson (“Doctor Who”, “Silk”).

Given how unsatisfying Thompson's Who episode was, I'm more bothered than ever that he's taking on the most important event in Holmes' life, but it is what it is.

Filming started this last week, I believe....

Thomson also wrote "The Blind Baker", which was the weakest episode of the first season.

:unsure:

Edited by opus

Sarah and I watched season one a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it.

My "Season One" set was two discs, with three 90-ish-minute movies spread across the discs. Does that constitute a "season" on Masterpiece Theater these days? I'll take it; it's nioe to be able to knock out a "season" of TV in a week's time. But I kept thinking the two discs must represent "Part 1" of Season One, or some such thing.

Is Season Two longer than Season One?

British TV shows tend to have short "series" (their word for "seasons"). I think most comedy shows, like Fawlty Towers, produced only six half-hour episodes at a time. So it wouldn't surprise me if a dramatic show was longer, but not by much.

Each series (season) of MI-5 (British spy show, like 24 but better) is 10 episodes. I think that's pretty standard over there.

The IT Crowd (comedy) usually has around 6 episodes per series.

Yeah, there's only three episodes in this next season. Of course, when you factor in that each episode is ninety minutes, what you get is the equivalent of six 45-min episodes. So in terms of actual run-time, these three-episode seasons are pretty close to the run-time of most British drama TV (Misfits only had six episodes in each of its first two seasons, and I think Luther did, too; Doctor Who has run thirteen episodes a season until this year, and I think I'm not wrong in saying that its seasons are considered longish for a tv drama over there; this year we get a two-part series consisting of seven and six episodes, respectively).

Edited by NBooth

I'm usually at least a year behind when catching up with series that have already aired. Has there not already been a second season? Having seen Season One, am I fully caught up at this point? The idea that I might actually watch Season Two on broadcast television boggles the mind.

I'm usually at least a year behind when catching up with series that have already aired. Has there not already been a second season? Having seen Season One, am I fully caught up at this point? The idea that I might actually watch Season Two on broadcast television boggles the mind.

Yes, you are caught up. There has only been one season to date.

Not to post every burp that comes out about the next series, but how cool is it that Russell Tovey is playing Henry Baskerville?

(It took me seeing his face to realize this, but Tovey is the werewolf in the British version of Being Human. :D )

Not to post every burp that comes out about the next series

Ok, I lied. Here's Irene Adler: Lara Pulver (of Spooks and Robin Hood).

Honestly, I'm not convinced; she's got too much Rachel McAdams and not enough Gayle Hunnicutt/Alex Kingston (River Song being, in some ways, a Doctor Who version of Irene Adler). With Moffat's track record of interesting female characters, I'm hopeful, but still. Since we've got an active Spooks thread, I'm assuming someone here has seen her in action. Is she any good?

Edited by NBooth

Since we've got an active Spooks thread, I'm assuming someone here has seen her in action. Is she any good?

She's joining the series for the 10th season, which hasn't aired yet.

Since we've got an active Spooks thread, I'm assuming someone here has seen her in action. Is she any good?

She's joining the series for the 10th season, which hasn't aired yet.

Ah. The story at the link read to me like it was currently airing. My mistake.

EDIT: In other news, we're not getting Sherlock series two this year; it's coming next year instead.

The eagerly anticipated second series was originally due this Autumn. However, on Wednesday, after the repeat of the Series 1 finale, the BBC announcer said the show will not return until next year.

Sherlock’s producer Sue Vertue took to Twitter shortly after and explained: “Please don’t blame the poor BBC schedulers for the wait for Sherlock. They can’t [transmission] it till we deliver and we’re still filming – Sorry!”

My guess is that this has much due to Freeman's (and Cumberbatch's, too, I guess) need to film at certain times in order to get back to New Zealand for that little B-picture he's making there. Still, it's a shame.

Edited by NBooth